Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the forum.

I have an XD 40 that was manufactured in 2003 and has never been fired... due to oversea deployments.

I was wondering if the finish on my XD is the same as the newer ones today?

Thanks guys,

Dan

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
No the Melonite treatment used today did not appear on XDs until the release of the XD45ACP in 2005 and on all other XDs in 2006.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible to have my XD refinished with the newer coating? The finish I have was it acceptable to rust and wear more than the newer finish?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Is it possible to have my XD refinished with the newer coating? The finish I have was it acceptable to rust and wear more than the newer finish?
Your gun will be fine and if it isn't SA will re-finish it in Melonite.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Do you have problems now? .. or just worried about future problems? If not, keep shooting it. Springfield Armory will fix it when it has problems but if it doesn't, don't worry about it. On a side note, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call them. Tell them your story and they might offer to do it for you right now.

·
Registered
969 Posts
How can you find out what year your gun was made? part of the code on there or something? (just wondering because Im not sure that I can find my original paperwork)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
How can you find out what year your gun was made? part of the code on there or something? (just wondering because Im not sure that I can find my original paperwork)
If you have a 45ACP XD you have the melonite finish. If you don't have the 45, you'll have to call SA with the Serial Number and they can tell you.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Your gun will be fine and if it isn't SA will re-finish it in Melonite.

Not true. Melonite is not a finish. It's a metal treatment. They will refinish the gun with Armory Kote.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a sub compact xd9 (manufactured sometime in mid 2008 ) with melonite, and a xd9 service (manufactured sometime in late 2005) non melonite. That being said, My XD9 srevice still looks almost new. Thats with over 2000 rounds through it. Someone said it best in another post, The old finish (non melonite) having problems was more the exception than the rule.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a sub compact xd9 (manufactured sometime in mid 2008 ) with melonite, and a xd9 service (manufactured sometime in late 2005) non melonite. That being said, My XD9 srevice still looks almost new. Thats with over 2000 rounds through it. Someone said it best in another post, The old finish (non melonite) having problems was more the exception than the rule.
I bought my XD9SC a couple of years ago and had no clue whether it was a Melonite pistol or not.
I contacted SA and got a reply back that since my serial# was mfg. in June of 2006, it was definitely a Melonite pistol.

I just thought I'd throw that in for people who might want to know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts