Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY Received my XD9 today (it took almost a month, but anyway)...

Started "playing" with it (i.e draw, aim, stance, change mag). I have a Cen-Dex Storm holster. After drawing my XD maybe 30 times, I noticed the finish was scratched.... like down to bare metal. I have had the gun for 6 hours, didn't bang/drop/scratch it anywhere... haven't even shot it yet.... but the finish is already damaged :cry:

What do you guys think? Should I contact Springfield, or should I consider this "normal wear and tear"...

Thank you in advance! this Forum is great!

- Dominic

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't know if springfield will refinish it for you.

If I were you I'd look into getting another finish on it
Something like finding out if you can get sig to nitron it
Or send it to http://www.trippresearch.com/ and have them either polymer coat it or do like I'm doing and hard chroming it.
I can show you pics of hard chroming and I think the polymer as well

Though there are MANY alternatives.

I'd probably start though with calling SA tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mouhahhaha! Thanks guys! You're right.... The gun can still shoot, but I feel like I just bought a new car, and discover it has a ding on the door...

Here, in Canada, we can't get SC.... can't even get Service... The barrel is too short... And we don't have CCW either.... In fact, I can't get to the range, because I need another permit (transport) to go the the range.

nice LOOKING weapon, though! :D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote="If I were you I'd look into getting another finish on it
Something like finding out if you can get sig to nitron it.[/quote]

They will only nitron stainless.

ranbur

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
If its bad, Springfield will refinish it. You can also do the NP3 or the Roguard finish from the Robar Company. Think thay are having a 10% web discount this month.
www.robarguns.com

·
Registered
127 Posts
My XD is starting to have some rust spots on the slide in a couple places so I'll be sending it to springfield to get it refinished with black armory kote. My XD has developed some light scratches on it and holster wear since I got it in January but I didn't mind those things but the small rust spots that would develope sometimes would got to be annoying so I'm hopeing the armory kote will stop that. Megan from springfield just emailed me my RMA number so I'll send it in tomorrow perhaps. Maybe I'll get some night sites installed on it while it's there but I'd only want some if I could also see them well durring the day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here, in Canada, we can't get SC.... can't even get Service... The barrel is too short... And we don't have CCW either.... In fact, I can't get to the range, because I need another permit (transport) to go the the range.
Living in Canada sucks.

Sorry about your gun - I know that feeling. Before getting all worried about the finish - I would put some oil (eezox, FP-10) on the scratch and see if that helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
SRH said:
Living in Canada sucks.

Sorry about your gun - I know that feeling. Before getting all worried about the finish - I would put some oil (eezox, FP-10) on the scratch and see if that helps.
Excuse my ignorance. What would putting eezox on it do? Are you working on the assumption that it's not really a scratch in the coating but a scuff instead?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sky 042,

First of all, applying some oil will help protect the "raw" metal where the scratch is from rust or water penetration, etc... Most of these high end lubricants ( I named a few above, MPro7 is also in that group) will bind to the metal intermolecularly. In my opinion, applying some oil and letting it sit and sink in will help with the cosmetic purposes of the finish.

Have you ever had an older S&W revolver that had an awful finish on it? One of the first things you do is clean it and get all the crap off it. THe second thing you do is you get some oil (sometimes fritz) and rub it into the finish. Not dripping wet with oil, just enough to where you can work it in. THe next day you come back and you do it again and before long the finish looks much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey thanks guys! I tried oiling it but it didn't do much unfortunatley... Well, I used CPL, it's the only thing I have at the moment... I'll try to get more 'specialized' products. I'm still unable to accept that a brand new gun can get this kind of damage from holtering / drawing a gun... Has this happened to any of you?

I'll try to post pictures soon!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The holster that you used that is wearing out your finish might be too harsh on your gun. Especially if it's a hard plastic type. I have a don hume holster which is leather thus won't scratch the finish, it may wear it over some time but that's just normal. If you don't want wear on your finish, maybe try hard chrome. The finish that came with your XD isn't a very good one, there's the Armory Cote finish that springfield is refinishing with under warrenty and it's suppose to be much harder and a deeper black and rust preventive but I think even that one will show holster wear over time and quicker if you are using a hard type holster. I'd suggest getting your XD refinished and getting a leather holster or try another pastic type holster that will be nicer to your gun. I've seen some hard chromed service XD pictures and they look very nice. I plan on getting my service chromed after I send in my sub compact to get armory coted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had my XD 9 Tac for 6 weeks. no problem

Got Holster less than a week ago and did draw practice with it. Love the holster but not the result on the XD. did probably about 50 draws and now it is worn through to the metal on the front right near the muzzle
anyways, i know its going to take a lot of abuse this way since i use it for USPSA stuff, but going to send it in to have it done in armory kote anyways.

Regards

Noxio

·
Registered
190 Posts
Springfield re-finished my XD. The new finish is much better, but it also has some scratches from holster use (as any finish will). Non the less the new pinish is superior and has given me no rust problems as the old finish did.

I sudgest you shoot if for a few month then send it back for a re-finish.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Yes my fobus made the finish of my service do a dissappearing act.
The armory coat is tougher but will still scratch my ctac holster and xd gear of galco seem to do less damage.I also have a don hume jit slide leather listed in the trading post if your looking for one 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts