Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my XD-40 for a year this month and I carry it daily in a Fobus paddle holster. I tend to clean it every time I shoot it which ends up being around once a month, sometimes a little longer. I find that it gets tons of lint and dirt in the crevices but as far as rust I haven't seen any at all. I have the black finish by the way. Am I just lucky or does it just take a while for the rust to start showing up. I don't consider myself real easy on it but I do work and live in cool dry environments for the most part. I have had several times last summer though when it would get rained on.

Keith

·
Registered
40 Posts
kdw75 said:
I have had my XD-40 for a year this month and I carry it daily in a Fobus paddle holster. I tend to clean it every time I shoot it which ends up being around once a month, sometimes a little longer. I find that it gets tons of lint and dirt in the crevices but as far as rust I haven't seen any at all. I have the black finish by the way. Am I just lucky or does it just take a while for the rust to start showing up. I don't consider myself real easy on it but I do work and live in cool dry environments for the most part. I have had several times last summer though when it would get rained on.

Keith
Congratulations to you and your XD on your anniversary! I had the same concerns about rust and because I planned on getting my black slide hardchromed anyway (for looks) I went a few range trips without oiling the finish in between and had no rust at all. A few people had reported instant rust on theirs, and I wonder if it was limited to earlier-made guns and was the result of a bad day at the factory that was applying the finish (I had a car that kept peeling and GM finally admitted years later that their factory had effed up the paint mix on a bunch of cars of that model).

A while back, I had a stainless SA 1911 get a little rain on it while I was shooting and found some surface rust under the grips during next detail strip. It seems that the XDs are fine with normal care, as is my stainless pistol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just found a whole 2" of rust on my xd, on the serrations of the slide. I went shooting this past weekend and had left the gun sitting on my computer desk for the past 5 days....now here's the kicker, I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, specifically in the bay area where temperatures are 65-70 degrees.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I had the same concerns and rather than wait, wonder and possibly watch my new XD 9mm subcompact rust, I sent it to Tripp Research for hard chrome on my slide. I worry less now and I surely like it. (I do understand those that want black though).

·
Registered
166 Posts
kdw75 said:

Keith
You sound like a conscientious gun owner who takes care of that which takes care of you. When you have a well-maitained gun, don't be surprised that it's still looking good, even it has gotten wet a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
DO YOU PEOPLE NOT KNOW HOW TO READ WE HAVE AND ENITRE FORUM DEDICATED TO THIS CRAP!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

LEARN HOW TO OIL YOUR GUN!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
MPSoldier said:
kdw75 said:

Keith
You sound like a conscientious gun owner who takes care of that which takes care of you. When you have a well-maitained gun, don't be surprised that it's still looking good, even it has gotten wet a couple of times.
+1

I believe most the rust stories are caused by negligence and failure to provide proper and timely maintenance. In otherwords, people are just too lazy to clean their guns and wipe them down after use. Had my black XD Service for over a year with absolutely NO rust issues, and it is a used gun on top of that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It also, IMO, depends on where u live. if you live by the bay, as one above does you have higher risk of rust. I live in Denver, where it is pretty dry, no rust issues here.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Henry47, hey guy, you won't have to worry about your rust issues much longer since you will be turning your gun in next April right? :shock:

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
manygunner said:
I believe most the rust stories are caused by negligence and failure to provide proper and timely maintenance. In otherwords, people are just too lazy to clean their guns and wipe them down after use. Had my black XD Service for over a year with absolutely NO rust issues, and it is a used gun on top of that.
I believe my rust story is not caused by negligence and failure to provide proper and timely maintenance. In otherwords, I'm not lazy, I clean my xd after every range trip, I oil it bi-weekly if I'm not able to take it to the range, I wipe it down with a silicone impregnated cloth after anytime I so much as touch it, and have coated it multiple times with blue armadillo. I havn't had "serious" rust issues, but rust has occured on my XD. Explain that. I'm glad that yours doesn't rust, but mine does and I am not to blame for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
DO YOU PEOPLE NOT KNOW HOW TO READ WE HAVE AND ENITRE FORUM DEDICATED TO THIS CRAP!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can't believe you people are STILL here after this post!!! You are upsetting some other members that can't believe there might be any kind of problem with any XD!!! Also, before we can get a time warp to go back and put this thread in it's proper place, everyone needs to stop responding, please we need ORDER!

To you morons with rust: you're obvioulsy lying about oiling the slide or you're using water, thinking it's oil. DUH! I'm sure this has already been proven in the RUSTY TALES category.

SORRY, I had to vent. I don't understand why some people think that because their product has no problems, all others are flawless and if there's a problem it has to be because the owner is at fault.

My brand new XD40 came with a few scratches on the slide. I would use Rem Oil Wipes and other products but if you looked after only 2 days of storage, the ouside of the barrel would be bone dry so I would coat it again, the inside stayed oiled nicely.
After 2 weeks I stripped the slide and painted it with a textured Krylon spray paint. The slight texture helps to get a good grip on the slide even with sweaty hands and I don't think I have to worry about rust with the paint job.

To 'XD BACKUP GUN': I hope you don't work at a post office.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Don't let XD BACKUP GUN bother you!...He was abused as a child. I think that was last week.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:

You are kind of grumpy lately... whats the matter bro'...

Raymond

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Frenchy said:
Don't let XD BACKUP GUN bother you!...He was abused as a child. I think that was last week.
I am suprised that you of all people Frenchy would say this.
Did you not leave this forum for a while because you were sick of the name calling and all the redudant posts?
Captain Ray said:
XD BACKUP GUN wrote:

You are kind of grumpy lately... whats the matter bro'...

Raymond
Been inactive in the Political Forum....so I have to vent other places. :wink:

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
What name did I call you? Your attack on the poster was unwarranted and unhelpful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
kdw75.... sorry we interupted(sp?) your thread.

Frenchy... I thought your reply was good general humor trying to diffuse the situation, I laughed at it.

XD Backup Gun...are you bi-polar and forget to take your meds? You can't make up your mind if you want this to be a trashy forum or not.

-in the thread "XD bliss and beyond," you join in the gang wanting to see pics of a boob job.
-in the thread "OK I know it's a glock...but still" (pic of girl with thong), you say "trash like this post..." and "this is wrong and does not belong on a gun forum."

I can respect anyone with any opinion that differs from mine, but I have no respect for a flip-flopper ('flip-flopper,' that is a word, right?)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts