Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new bitone Springfield XD-9 4" Service pistol that is making my Glock 19 fall out of favor. Until the XD-9, the Glock 19 was my most treasured and trusted handgun. I thought I would never find a pistol that could take its place.

I have read multiple posts about people liking their XDs more than other premium priced pistols from the major manufacturers (even selling them!!!).

Do you believe the quality, design, reliability and long-term durability of the XD is every bit as good as comparable handguns by Sig, Beretta, Glock and HK? (except the black finish, of course)

SA XD9, XD40, XD-40 Tactical

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I believe some may be a bit more refined than the XD, but when you factor in the cost, the XD is better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
...............anything that you could honestly compare it to. especially when cost is a consideration. we all admit the finish is pretty crappy but then again i haven't had a problem with mine yet......(knock wood).......... :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
being an hk owner twice over...i like the xd. for me (and i may get some flak for the next comment)...its the closest thing to owning a glock that i'll ever buy without it actually being a glock, and its waaay better. :D

in my opinion...it beats glock up one side and down the other. and i hope one day it'll be as modular, and upgradeable as the glock is.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
beretta = crap
the XD has features from both the sig and glock
never fired an HK,but i know they are good guns

so ... yes, my XD is better than all of them. if you want to know why, just ask.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only thing I like about a Glock is the Tennifer finish.

The only thing I don't like about an XD is the slide stop placement (identical to a Glock) because it is easy to accidentally engage.

Glocks have a great reputation for shooting a lot of rounds, >100k, without major component failure. XD is quickly developing a similar reputation and appears to be built stronger in every way.

Sig, Berretta, and HK are all too expensive and over rated in my opinion. Service life on all these aluminum framed guns is reported to be 20-25k rounds in 9mm, less in 40, and much less in 357 Sig.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When I was looking for a pistol, I was actually looking to find a HK p7... I shot it once, and loved it.. but do you know how much one of those guns cost?!

The guy at Sportsman's Warehouse showed me the XD 9mm which had the safety features I wanted, plus the loaded chamber indicator for much less than I was planning to spend.. It just seemed like the right choice.

Yes, I have found some surface rust on the finish.. but it wipes off with a cloth.. so I don't look at that as a serious problem... It shoots.. never a FTE or FTF for me... although I have read of other people having some problems.

Raymond

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have owned a Beretta, Glock 17, Taurus, S&W and Ruger 9mms and the only 9mm I kept over all these years...and would never trade for...is my Belgian Hi-Power.

That said, I do have an XD in 40SW and believe it is every bit the quality of the above mentioned pistols, except for the Hi-Power, but since the HP is much more pricey, is all steel and the action is different, it is not a fair comparison. I have shot several Sig 9mms and beleve the XD has a better trigger, too.

Several of those alloy framed 9mms are VERY overpriced, especially Sig and Beretta, considering how long they're expected to last. You can almost buy an XD-9 and a reloading machine for what you pay for a Sig 226 or HK 9mm.

I think as time goes on, you'll see the XD gain ground on the other makes. You have to keep in mind that the others have been around a long time. The Glock 17 and 92 Berettas have been around since the early 80s and the Sig and S&W 9mms a bit longer. Give it time and I think you'll see the XD make huge gains against the others. Its priced too well and performs too well NOT to succeed.

I also predict that when armies around the world start searching for replacement pistols for their aging current issue 9mms, the XD will see acceptance in many of these armies. Their pricing...against Sig, Beretta and Glock ought to win it for them...along with the civilian track record of the XDs.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
416 Posts
Lranger65 said:
.............. we all admit the finish is pretty crappy but then again i haven't had a problem with mine yet......(knock wood).......... :D
I take exception to that statement. We don't "all" admit that. Why would you make such a disparaging statement when, by your own admission, you don't have a problem either?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
ElrodCod said:
Lranger65 said:
.............. we all admit the finish is pretty crappy but then again i haven't had a problem with mine yet......(knock wood).......... :D
I take exception to that statement. We don't "all" admit that. Why would you make such a disparaging statement when, by your own admission, you don't have a problem either?

Many people have had a problem, so much so that SA will refinish your gun in Armory Coate if you send it to them. So, i would say its an accurate statement. The wear factor is high, the finish in not tough and prone to scratches..

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've shot several of the higher priced guns (SIG 229, HK USP, Glock) when I was looking for a new carry weapon and liked the Springfield the best for all the safety reasons and most importantly, FEEL. It just felt right in my hand and I've yet to have a problem with either of my XDs (I ended up buying another XD, a sub, cause I loved my Service so much) except for the black finish on my sub. That has since been sent away for refinishing. Other than that, it's a very very solid gun. And for the $$$ - you just can't go wrong. Welcome to the club. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
mullanman said:
ElrodCod said:
Lranger65 said:

Many people have had a problem, so much so that SA will refinish your gun in Armory Coate if you send it to them. So, i would say its an accurate statement. The wear factor is high, the finish in not tough and prone to scratches..
What is armory coate? Is it better than the stock XD finish?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think anyone used to owning blued guns will not have a problem with their finish. I have a friend who is a gunsmith who left his carbon steel 1911 in the white after building it from a Caspian frame and slide. Bluing offers little if any protection, and he says he can see and attack the rust better as it develops if in the white.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have owned many blued guns and carried a blued Colt Combat Commander for a long long time and I too had a problem with the finish on my XD-40. I bought an early XD, the finish I see on the newer ones looks better. I carry my XD and on a hot humid day, even in a OWB holster I would get some light surface rust. I tried diff oils and such. I think the heat would evaporate the oil. I had SA refinish mine in their Armory Koat, SA's version of K-koat type of poly finish. I have been packing mine with the Armory Koat for more than 2 years now, no problems since.

·
Registered
416 Posts
mullanman said:
ElrodCod said:
Lranger65 said:

Your definition of "all" must be different than mine or Webster's.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think the XD is actually better from a technical, reliability, ergonomic and value perspective than its competition. Those are the reasons why I bought my XD-9.

I can't comment on the finish because I bought the bi-tone to avoid any potential issues in that area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all your comments. I sorta stipulated at the beginning of the thread that there was a question on the quality of the black finish. I didn't want to start another finish thread. I would like to hear more comments about the quality of the contruction, reliability and longevity of the XD compared to other premium brands. Could I really confidently replace my trusted Glock 19 with the XD if needed?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I too was in the market for a carry weapon, and of course the first thing I went hunting for was a Glock....until I seen the price tag on em.
I took a look at one, held it, and had the guy put it back. It just didn't feel right to me, and the price tag didn't help either.
I was about to leave until the clerk said "Hey, check this out. We just got em in."
Low and behold this olive green thing I have never laid eyes on. I held it, and then read "Springfield Armory" on the slide..and for half of what a Glock went for. I noticed all the safety features, and a lifetime warranty along with it. I put it in layaway; I was sold.
I have had finish problems, and at first the available holsters was very limited, but thanks to Pistol-Gear things have changed.
It has now been refinished, some decal grips, and a Don's guide rod installed, and lastly a nice leather holster to boot.
I have never owned, or held, a pistol that felt so comfortable in my kinda small hands. The XD is the only weapon I'll carry that I'd chance the safety of myself, and my family on.
I since have shown my XD to several Indiana State Troopers. They're first words were always "what he heck is that".......and then "Wow" :D
This kinda made me feel good since these people are professionals, and are issued Beretta 40's , and all carry Glocks as back ups.
Now all I gotta do is get me a sub so I can further my obsession!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I carried my XD40 for two years, never had a serious problem. It fit my hand. I did have to tend to the finish after carrying but that never caused a malfunction.

However I recently purchased a CZ p01 9mm for about $30 more than what I paid for my XD It is slightly smaller than the xd (more concealable has no external safety to worry about, like the XD, and has an extremely durable finish. And fits my hand like a glove... Shoots like a dream.

I have nothing against my XD, I still love it... I just find the CZ a better choice for CCW right now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts