Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is my first thread/post on xdtalk, and my first Springfield handgun.

I appreciate all forum user reviews, as they've helped me purchase this xde and other firearms as well. I thought it would be nice to give back and let y'all know my first impressions and range results.

Here it is!
xde right profile shot.jpg

xde Left Profile.jpg

xde front angle shot.jpg

xde hammer feature specific.jpg

First Impressions

The Good
-The SA trigger is awesome! My usual range guns are a CZ75B and CZ P07 (with omega trigger) and I would say this SA trigger is nicer than my standard 75b but not as great as the Omega trigger system on the P07, but damn close. It breaks a little far back like a 92fs but is much more like a CZ trigger from my experience.

-The DA trigger is good, after going to the range it seemed to lighten up. But that could be attributed to the Rem Oil Pro3 oil I sprayed on the action after cleaning the firearm. There is zero gritty feel to the DA, and I can't really stage it like a revolver. It is a constant even resistance that only slightly tightens up just before it goes off.

-Price! I am all for HK and Sig but those options on average cost much more for a similar package. By all means if you have the cash try out the P30SK/P2000SK or Sig 224/239. (the Bersa UC Pro 9 was considered but I don't like how large the grip and controls are for a carry gun)

The Bad
-I do not like the DA trigger pull when the hammer is entirely down. That being said once the hammer is at the first click there is a short no resistance take up; after that the trigger is at the perfect position for a full DA pull. So this is really not a huge deal. When you decock the hammer it will be in this first click position as well.

-I am not a fan of the safety switch. I do appreciate the extra cock and lock option, but I know I will never have it in such a set up for concealed carry. Springfield will most likely release a non safety option as others have mentioned. To be honest I've wanted a DA/SA CCW pistol for so long I just looked past it and went for it. If it bothers you enough I would wait it out.

-the xd-e has only been out for a short time. This does concern me, but it ran its first 220 rounds without a single issue. I will try and put 500+ rounds past it before I really trust it as a carry gun. My full size CZ while rare had a few FTF issues when I fired its first box of federal 9mm target ammo. But hey look at the p320 accidental discharge issue... hopefully nothing like that comes out for the XD-e.

The Ugly
-The rear end/hammer area on this thing is a tad ugly. my only visual complaint.

-Grip Zone... lol

Now on to the Range Review. SAO = Single Action Only, DAO = Double Action Only
IMG_9491.JPG
5 Shots - SAO - 10 Yards - 115g Rem UMC Ammo. The black circle target is 3" is diameter.

IMG_9492.JPG IMG_9493.JPG
15 Shots - DAO - 5 Yards - 115g Rem UMC Ammo
-this was simply picking up the gun off the table, not looking down the sight, point and fire. Drop Hammer, put back down on table, repeat.

IMG_9494.JPG
10 Shots - DAO - 5 yards - Zombie Max Defense Ammo - Black circle is 3" diameter

IMG_9495.JPG
5 shots - SAO - 7 yards - Rem UMC 115g ammo. The lightly circled shots are not included. 3" Diameter black circle target.

IMG_9496.JPG
5 shots - SAO - 10 yards - Rem UMC 115g ammo. 3" black circle

IMG_9498.JPG
10 Shots (wrote 5 on accident in image, first 3 were high)- DAO - 10 Yards - Rem UMC 115g. 3" black circle
- This one blew me away, I cannot get nearly this good of accuracy with either of my CZ pistols Double action only at 10 yards.

-I did notice if you have too weak of a grip the angle of the recoil will launch the cartridges right at your forehead. I had to change my grip to a tighter hold and this completely eliminated the issue.

-The recoil was not bad at all. the xds definitely has more of a kick but both are very manageable.

Overall Impression
-I really like the XD-e! In a few weeks my IWB Alien Gear 3.0 holster should come in. I will try to update y'all on if it makes a good CCW pistol for its size for me personally. I usually pocket carry an RM380 so this will be a big adjustment for me. I hope anyone who stumbles on this post finds it helpful in your next ccw decision.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice review. I've had the HK's and Sig's you mention, this gun is just as good. When I was shooting my XDe today, it actually reminded me of a single stack HK P2000. Very similar in size, except thinner, and still carries 9+1.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice review.

I've got about 225 through mine now with zero problems. I didn't really expect any. I have an XDm that I've had for quite a while with absolutely no issues.

I had ordered the Alien Gear 3.0 also but decided to cancel before it was shipped. I thought it was going to be too large. I went with a single clip IWB from White Hat. I have a picture posted on the other thread about holsters.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
@Pistol_Picasso great review and nice first post on here. Welcome to a great forum with many knowledgeable and helpful members.

Do you know about gearup promo? 4 free mags and a not so great holster.
Springfield Armory GearUp 2017

I traded XDs45 for XDe on July 3rd. I own XD9 with over 25000 rounds, most in competition, so like XD line but XDs never really stuck for me. About 300 rounds through XDe with not one issue so I trust it for carry. Very happy with it so far. Using Desantis Softuk or occasionally MIC appendix, both that had for XDs.

Was also able to use two Pearce grip extensions that had for XDs45 5 rnd mags on the extra two 8 rnd for XDe. That worked out well. Writing reminds me that still gotta post XDs45 mags for sale.

I wish there was an option to edit a post after it's been posted.
there is ... bottom left of your post ... but it disappears after hour or so.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up about editing. I guess I didn't look hard enough. It's usually at bottom right side of most forums that I'm on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@CdnInAz I hopped on that Springfield Gear-Up deal the day I got my XD-e, Such a sweet offer.

@wbw @CdnInAz I tried carrying the czP07 IWB once but it was so heavy on that one clip point making my pants drag down. After reading this I think I will go to my local shop and give those single clip holsters a try. It would save time and money to go with that option for sure. I will read the other xd-e holster posts to get a good idea on options.

@Pazzo I've only dry fired Sig's and Hk's but they seem like fantastic pistols. I was so relieved to see the xd-e release because like the cz pistols I finally had a sub $500 DA/SA single stack 9mm option for concealed carry.

I actually do freelance product photography touch-up jobs for firearms, so I will keep posting nice pics. I did a little post editing on those xd-e images but nothing crazy like I do for clients.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Picasso, That was one of the very best gun posts I have read. Your pictures were super good & your explanations of your targets was perfect too. Your shooting was great too.
I have had my XDe a month & at 86 the easy slide rack & lighter recoil is really welcome . Also everything on the gun & mags works easier than any other gun I have had. Give us more good posts. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Great pics and review - especially appreciate the target diameter description. Nice reference. Thank you. Look forward to more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a follow up on my original post. The one below is how good the XD-e performs IWB, and quality of my new Alien Gear 3.0 IWB holster.

I got my Alien Gear IWB 3.0 holster exactly ONE week after ordering! Very fast turn around.
For a little context I am around 6 feet tall and 230-240 lbs. Definitely not a skinny person so appendix IWB carry is pretty hard for me to pull off.

The Good
-Such a great price for this kind of holster at just over $50 with tax, and like I said the turn around was quick. So thank you Alien Gear and USPS. This holster traveled across the entire country and still got here that fast.

-The holster quality is great, the synthetic material is very comfortable & breathable. Alien Gear gives you a variety of rubber spacers and extra parts to customize. The moment I got mine I raised the clip positions so the gun would ride lower into my waist. I did switch to the flush mag for optimal concealment on the xd-e.

The Bad

-Having the holster set at 3 o' clock on the waist is not very comfortable. The worst part being the textured grip rubbing against bare skin. I think this would be an issue with any textured handgun though. When I moved the gun to 4-4:30 position it entirely removed the issue and leaves a little more slack in the waistline. This is not a problem with Alien Gear but any kind of similar IWB holster for me personally.

-When I received the holster there were little burrs on the plastic belt clips. These are easily removed with a file but are incredibly uncomfortable until removed.

Overall
I am pleased with my purchase. It would be nice to have a little more surface area to cover the grip area but for the cost it is well made and lives up to the hype. I will try and post pics of the gun + holster soon. But I wanted to get this posted asap for first thoughts. Once I carry the gun for a few weeks I hope to post a final update on my concealed carry XD-e experience.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nice, I have an aliengear for my XDM. I believe aliengears come with "combat cuts" so there is nothing behind the pistol grip so you can make a full purchase on the pistol. I remember ordering my crossbreed without the combat cuts but after seeing how much better my draw was without the extra backing, I cut the crossbreed myself to allow for more grip for the draw.

I'd suggest wearing a tank top or light t shirt as the first layer underneath your holster so you have no holster/gun to body. Makes a huge difference. I wear a tank top "wife beater" every day and got used to it.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the great review. I had seen the XDe once and wasn't that impressed so I guess I'll go have another look and see if it wants me. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright y'all, this is the final update as I have worn my XD-e before and after work, around the house and at Walmart a couple times.

I will start with the Alien Gear 3.0 IWB Holster pics.

alien gear iwb holster.jpg

I set the belt clips to the highest holes for the lowest ride in the waist

back of iwb holster.JPG where the bur is.JPG
The 3.0 has fewer holes on the back than the 2.0- with the spring steel insert. The red circle in the 2nd picture is where those damn burrs were. Just use a file or knife and that should solve the issue.

Here are some pictures of it on my relaxed wrangler jeans.
1 xde IWB holster.JPG 2 xde iwb holster covered.JPG 3 Bending to side.JPG
The second image is the dress shirt over the XD-e, the third is me bending over trying to make the handle print through my shirt. Having this gun any higher with the custom AG holster holes made me feel uneasy. If I lost some weight I could probably deal with the higher hold in my pants, but it felt clunky and wouldn't hug against my body as well. This may just be an issue with my body type. My buddy has his pistol set at a higher level with zero issues. Same holster but with a Glock subcompact double-stack.

With my current set up on the holster it was very comfortable for driving and walking around Walmart for an hour, with this holster and a patterned button up shirt I felt very confident that no one could tell I was carrying. I do have to say it is very comfortable with the right shirt and jeans.

Only having the Alien Gear holster I realized there was a conflict with my work life and concealed and carry. Lets say I need to get some gas or swing by Walmart before or after work. It would be a big pain to wear this holster all day at work without the gun, or try and put it on outside or in my car. So I quickly realized I needed a second holster, one that was easy to toss on for a short period of time.

This is my current solution, the MD-6 Sticky pocket holster. I didn't see any that specified the XD-e being compatible. But my local gun shop let me try them all out and I found this one to work just fine. Snug fit but not so snug that I pull the holster out with the gun. And the gun does not move around in the pocket holster.

Now I am not saying the XD-e is a breeze for pocket carry, but for the deep pockets in my dress pants this works just fine, the handle is a good inch below the pocket hole. So no matter what I will have my XD-e on me with zero excuses. I don't think printing is an issue for me but the weight is definitely noticeable compared to my little RM380, so this is only for short periods of time like a quick walk or gas station run. My main holster is absolutely the Alien Gear.
pocket holster for xde.jpg

Here are some comparisons in pants and shorts.

1 shorts no xde in pocket.JPG 2 shorts xde in pocket.JPG 3 shorts eye view xde in pocket.JPG
First No XD-e in pocket, Second XD-e in pocket. The gun sits so low that the cargo pocket covers half the slide. The Third image is a first person view showing the handle, but it does not peak out of the pocket. If you have a long t-shirt to cover the top of your pocket this makes pocket carry a non issue for printing. But if you have low pants and a short shirt someone may glace at the handle looking inside your pocket. The XD-e is just barely pocket worthy but with the right clothes it's absolutely do able.

1 Pants without xde in pocket.JPG 2 xde in pocket with holster.JPG 3 xde in pocket.JPG
Same as a above 1- no xde, 2- xde in pocket, 3 - First person view of xde in pocket.
You can see the square shape of the gun w/holster in 2, this is how it was with my dress pants. But once again if you have a long shirt as I do in the picture it will cover the top of the pocket, making the printing really not noticeable.

Well that's it! I am very satisfied with the XD-e's accuracy as seen in the original post. The Alien Gear 3.0 IWB holster and Sticky MD-6 pocket holster do a great job for covering nearly all of my conceal carry scenarios. If I weighed less appendix carry would be a nice option in the future. But until then I am more than satisfied with my new concealed carry weapon of choice. As stated earlier I hope the pictures and content help you decide if the XD-e is a good option for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice, I have an aliengear for my XDM. I believe aliengears come with "combat cuts" so there is nothing behind the pistol grip so you can make a full purchase on the pistol. I remember ordering my crossbreed without the combat cuts but after seeing how much better my draw was without the extra backing, I cut the crossbreed myself to allow for more grip for the draw.

I'd suggest wearing a tank top or light t shirt as the first layer underneath your holster so you have no holster/gun to body. Makes a huge difference. I wear a tank top "wife beater" every day and got used to it.
Damn good suggestion. I will certainly do this from now on to keep some sweat off the gun and make driving more comfortable. I had to tuck my shirt behind the gun when I got in the car to keep the grip texture from digging in.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts