Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to one of the local gunshop guys today and he said once SA gets the xdM fully in motion and all the shelves stocked, that the XD will be discontinued and the M will be it. I have not found anything online on my breif search, but thought maybe you all would be in the loop.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
He probably had many XDs for you to buy from him before they're all gone, too.

Salespeople sell things.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I doubt it. With the XDM at a higher price point, why discontinue a more affordable product during an economic slump? I think he was trying to get you to buy an XD with a get'em while you can approach, or trying to get you to go for an XDM or another make by assuming SA wouldn't be supporting the XD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanting to make sure. I am in the "research" and savings point for my next weapon. Previously had a Glock, had to sell it in 2004, currently only have a Hi Point (No flames please, it was all I could afford when I got it). I am still at a toss up between the Glock again, the M&P or XD, all in compact/subcompact form.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Just wanting to make sure. I am in the "research" and savings point for my next weapon. Previously had a Glock, had to sell it in 2004, currently only have a Hi Point (No flames please, it was all I could afford when I got it). I am still at a toss up between the Glock again, the M&P or XD, all in compact/subcompact form.
See if the local range has some you can rent. Also, keep your eyes open at the range and see if someone has one. They might let you shoot it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Best I can remember it was in American Rifleman, in the issue they had the big write up on the new XDm. Some SA rep said that there were no plans to eliminate the normal XD because of the release of the XDm because they *fuzzy on the explanation bear with me* "target difference audiences?". I'll look tonight and see if I can find all the actual verbage.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
From what I've read, the XDM is a competition pistol and the XD is combat tupperware.

Who knows, but I sure as hell wouldn't listen to any gun store clerk and believe him unless I actually knew him.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Compare things to Springfields 1911 line up. They have basic GI models all the way up to models with every imagineable bell and whistles. Thus, I can see them keepeing the XD and the XDM.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
XD's are here to save........ currently, they are the most successfull guns in america........... I assure you, they aren't going anywhere...... well, unless NO------------BAMA does away with guns........... I can't help you there... unless you come live with me.. then I can protect your life!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't believe that.
They sell to many XDs to just stop.
The XD line is a huge seller for Springfield and the Croatian supplier.
It would be like AB coming out with a new Budwiser Platinum and once they had all the shelves stocked they pulled the original Budwiser off the market.
Way to many people like the Budwiser/XD so it is silly to think that they will just stop making it.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
This has been brought up a couple times and I think it's a pretty general consensus across the board that there's little to no chance of that happening for all of the stated reasons... primarily that they are different markets (granted, many people fall into both of those markets).

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I surely hope not. I rather the XD... Even in a competition format (I would rather throw a trigger kit and match barrel in a service model than shoot the XDm.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ok, I was a little off, they American Rifleman didn't site a specific SA employee in the article, but what they did say is

"The XD(M) costs quite a bit more than the standard XD. Springfield Armory considers it an enhanced variant, so standard XD pistols are not going away" [American Rifleman, September 2008, p105]

I know we can't always believe everything we read, but thats what was in black and white and in this case, it makes good sense so that's what I would go along with personally.

On a serperate note, man I'm glad I keep those old AR magazine around in the bathroom heh heh :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I surely hope not. I rather the XD... Even in a competition format (I would rather throw a trigger kit and match barrel in a service model than shoot the XDm.)
A lot of people feel that way, myself included. Instead of spending extra money on the XDm, I'd rather put that money toward a trigger job that I choose, grip modifications that I choose, sights I choose, etc.

That being said, the XDm is a great "out of the box" gun for someone that doesn't want to do extra stuff to it but still wants something competition worthy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
XDm's aren't legal in California (and supposedly won't be). XD's are. Can't see SA dumping the XD since they would lose all future California sales.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Plus, theres really no point in making a "match" subcompact pistol. the XDm is just an addition to the already existing XD line. they will be here for a long time!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
they wont stop making it anytime soon. unless they are retarded.
ALWAYS take gun store talk with skepticism

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
They could probably drop the XD's price slightly and let them compete at different price points. Right now I feel that since they're only $100-$150 or so apart, there's not THAT much price difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts