Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i shot pretty poorly tonight and it was all because of my XD. I only brought one to the range tonight as the the other two are getting thier slides refinished at Macs. When i got to the range there were 7 other guys there and they had all the pistol berms in use. They invited me to shoot with them as they were having a firendly compitition shoot. the targets were from 20ft to 20 yrds away and some were steel plates and some were bowling pins. i told them that i would shoot a few mags and be on my way. well they would not hear of that and told me that i did not drive all the way there to just shoot a few rounds and insisted that it would be great for me to shoot with them. well the first target was 10 yrds away it was a metal spinner about 7" in diamater. i only had my 10 rnd rage mags with and i hit it all 10 times. The next was a paper plate at 7yrds and i hit it all 10 times. Thats when things went downhill fast. they were looking at my XD as they all shot Glocks with one guy shooting a sig. I offered it to one of the guys to try and he took me up on it. His first mag he did ok and the next he scored all hits. it went down hill from there. they all wanted to try it and so i wound up shooting Glocks the rest of the night. they all loved it. to the best of my knowledge they all shot as godo or better with it than thier Glocks. Dont get me wrong Glock is a good gun. when we were done shooting they wanted to see how is stripped down so i showed them. i also showed them how the XD has a fully supported chamber and regular rifling. they loved that. any way my scores went in the tank shooting Glocks as they just dont point like an XD. after they were done with it and i got to shoot it again i was back to my old self. im not a great shot by any means but the XD makes me better. i know if i could have shot my XD for the whole night i would have been close to first. I think a few of them will be turning from the dark side. They were a great bunch of guys and they spent the night shooting my XD and i did not care one bit. after all was said and done and we were having a beer after our guns were put away one said "well now i know what all the fuss about XD's is about. I guess that sums it up. tonight i really could say that it was the guns fault for the disasterous score. the XD was the cause of it. if they would not be so good i would have been able to shoot it all night.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I hate it when that happens.

·
Registered
245 Posts
:lol: LOL - You really had me thinking that the XD let you down. Well, surprise surpise. The XD was the star of the show.

I understand the fully supported chamber. But what's this about "regular rifling"? Whatever that is, it sounds like a benefit. But why? Does the Glock have inferior rifling?

Looking forward to your explanation or a link that will explain.

-Mike

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mcone said:
:lol: LOL - You really had me thinking that the XD let you down. Well, surprise surpise. The XD was the star of the show.

I understand the fully supported chamber. But what's this about "regular rifling"? Whatever that is, it sounds like a benefit. But why? Does the Glock have inferior rifling?

-Mike
Glock uses Polygonil rifling. in thier pistols. if you look at it they do not look like regular lands and groves. Thats why you are never supposed to shoot lead bullets in them. i was thinking about getting a Glock untill i found out about that. That made it an easy decision to buy an XD and i am so glad i did.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think the grip angle of the XD, which supposedly is based on the 1911 and sure feels similar to me, is more natural than the Glock, lending to enhanced accuracy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your effort was good and i feel you gave it your best shot..No pun intended.
dont be too hard on yourself..you did very well.

·
Registered
821 Posts
kgpcr said:
mcone said:

-Mike
Glock uses Polygonil rifling. in thier pistols. if you look at it they do not look like regular lands and groves. Thats why you are never supposed to shoot lead bullets in them. i was thinking about getting a Glock untill i found out about that. That made it an easy decision to buy an XD and i am so glad i did.
Glocks and some other pistols use polygonal rifling.
http://www.firearmsid.com/A_bulletIDrifling.htm
Getting the lead out of a stock Glock barrel is a
muther.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been shooting a long time but I'd admit there's always somebody better and I'm asking for suggestions. I've purchased a Springfield XD-40 Service Model.
Tested from 10 feet 6 shots bullseye, 21 feet 6 shots bullseye. I went to 25 yards. Couldn't hit a thing, it danced around the target. Let a friend shoot it and he couldn't even hit the target. Tried the 1911 and no problem at 25 yards. Bullseye.

I've been through the firearms academy and shot with high scores so I know it's me because of all the good reviews on the XD-40. Is there something I should know about the sights? I used 180gr 950fps rounds.

Appreciate info.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hmmm.. Help me out here. You say you may have brought back a few folks from the dark side. :?
Isn't the XD on the dark side too? Plastic Austrian vs Plastic Croatian. Not that far apart in my eyes.

I think it's great that some folks got to try something new and enjoyed it and you made some new acquaintances though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I never have had a problem shooting from 25 yards or beyond.
Last time I tried @ 25 yds it shot a very tight group.

I love my XD :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
You had me double take that the XD was junk but turned it around how clever. Only 1 more day till my XD40 is here and then I will see what all the fuss is about. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
kgpcr said:
I think a few of them will be turning from the dark side.
WE are on the dark side brother- as WE are the ones who must always explain why we bought "that gun" over a Glock-en-schooter.

Sorry you did not get to shoot your own load, but great job on converting them into XD fans.

DARK

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stretch415 said:
You had me double take that the XD was junk but turned it around how clever. Only 1 more day till my XD40 is here and then I will see what all the fuss is about. :D
Welcome to the board and we do expect to see a range report when you get to take her out. If you are half as happy as i am with the XD's you will be in love with it forever.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dark_syde99 said:
kgpcr said:
I think a few of them will be turning from the dark side.
WE are on the dark side brother- as WE are the ones who must always explain why we bought "that gun" over a Glock-en-schooter.

Sorry you did not get to shoot your own load, but great job on converting them into XD fans.

Actualy it was fun to shoot a Glock for a night. It reminded me of how good we have it with XD's. Glock is a good gun but not up to an XD in my opinion and that of some of my friends who tried the XD. two have bought an XD and one even sold his Glocks to do it. I think he is a smart guy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts