Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size and kind of punches do i need to disassemble the xd and where can i get a good set of punches. thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have a set of wrenches that include "star" wrenches.. the 3/32 wrench will take out just about everything... For different sizes I use allen wrenches that work just fine.. I suppose if I weren't so cheap and lazy, I would just buy a set of punches.. but I am cheap and lazy, and have tools that work...

Raymond

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a set of punches at a gun show for $10. It has a bunch of different sizes that work in the various guns I own. I use mainly the 1/8" brass punch (I believe). If you want one, I found one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22700&item=7133262004&rd=1

This is the exact set I have. Cheap, works good. The mistake I first made was trying to gently "tap" pins out, thus warping one of the brass punches. Now I line the punch up good, hold it tight, make sure the gun's stable in a vise or held against the table, and give it a nice solid strike. No more bent punches :). Anyway, I'd invest in the whole set, makes sure you've got what you need, when you need it, and its a pretty good price.

Matthew

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got mine at Westlake Hardware, also have seen the punches at Home Depot or Lowe's. Make sure not to get the nail counter sink as it will not work. 3/32 is the punch that is needed. Go to ajames site he has great disassembly instructions even I can follow.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I managed to find a set of grace brass punches on eBay for about $15. I also ened up ordering a 3/32" special roll pin punch from Brownell's (they have everything!). My 3/32" brass punch kept getting chewed up when I would tap out the roll pin on the slide. The special roll pin punches Brownells sells are steel and have a little "bump" on the tip that centeres the punch on the roll pin. It works great, it's cheap, and it saves my brass punch.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5551&title=ROLL+PIN+PUNCHES

1 - 8 of 8 Posts