Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to this whole seen but I plan on purchasing an XD 9mm as my first gun. I've shot all my life and think it's a good starting point. I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations along the same price range as the XD. From what I can gather from the forums across the net, it's a the best buy for the money. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Last summer I was in the market for a new semi-auto pistol. Had, CZ, Glock, Ruger and XD in mind. Took a look at the CZ, but it was all steel and too heavy. Glock was on my list but too pricey. Rugers are a great value all around, but I got confused with one having a decocker or a safety or double action only and so on. I remembered an ad from Gander Mountain and they had named the XD handgun of the year. Took a look at the XD-9 V-10 ported and it was the one. A week later went back to the shop and there it was, the XD-9 Tactical. Got that one too :shock:

I am sure I missed out on something on the CZ. I've never known a Ruger I didn't like (cept the No. 1 Tropical Rifle in .458 magnum :shock: ). Although it has some faults, there isn't anything really wrong with a Glock. Glad I got my XDs. I've seen Glock Perfection logo stickers and tee shirts. Well, they should have them for the XDs too.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
XD.Eric
Hey, I'm new to this whole seen but I plan on purchasing an XD 9mm as my first gun. I've shot all my life and think it's a good starting point.
Hmmmm, first gun? and you've shot all your life? what have you been shooting? you must be fairly young, right?

Anyways, welcome Eric and good luck, shoot safe. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I'm 23. My Dad owns a few firearms. 357, .38 Special, and so do my grandparents. Just sort of a family tradition. I went to the local shop and checked out a few models, the XD, although not the most comfortable, seem to be the best buy. The forum here is great and I've been reading all afternoon. What cleaning gear do you recommend?

·
Registered
539 Posts
The XD is a lot of Pistol for the money. Other great values are the CZ's, and the Steyr M's (I just got one yesterday and so far I love it). You'll be happy with any of these.

Another good deal I saw today is for an FNP 9mm at cdnninvestments. It looks like virtually the same Pistol as a Browning Pro-9 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The Brownings go for over 600 bucks, and cdnn wants $300 for the FNP. If I'm right that would be a heckuva good deal.

Good Luck. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any info on the Walther P99 9mm? A buddy recommended it, I Know the price is a bit steep but any buddy have an experience recomendations with it? Sorry for so many questions. :?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
xd.eric
What cleaning gear do you recommend?
I would go to Wal-Mart or your favorite gunshop and get some supplies. First of all a good pistol cleaning kit (Rod, patches, oil, solvent). A silicone cloth to wipe down the outside and a can of gun scrubber is good too. Read the instructions for gun scrubber, it isnt' for all surfaces. You really should learn to take your XD apart and clean it. It's a good idea to clean a new pistol and it gets you familiar with the takedown procedure.

Here is what I do to clean my XD:

What I do:
1. Drop magazine:
2. Check chamber to make sure pistol is unloaded.
3. Dissasemble into major components. (follow instructions that came with your XD)
4. Dry brush all areas where gunk accumulates and wipe clean with a dry cloth.
5. Put some solvent on a good gun brush and wet scrub all dirty areas.
6. Spray gun scrubber to clear out the areas just brushed. (Wear eye protection)
7. Wipe down with another clean cloth.
8. Put some good quality oil on a Q-tip and oil areas that will benefit from lube. (Slide surfaces and areas where you can see that 2 surfaces are rubbing against each other, also lightly around the outside of the barrel.
9. Reassemble and work the slide a few times to spread the lube evenly.
10. Put a small amount of oil on a silicone cloth and wipe down the outer surfaces.
Thats about all I can think of for now. Ask those around you if you have any questions. Any decent, normal, courteous shooter should hopefully be around to help you. Size people up, find someone you will be sure to get some good instruction from. There are "Knuckle-Heads" at the range too and they can be the worst people to learn from. Be very safe, and you drop your magazine and check your chamber and check it again to be sure it is empty.
Have a good time and in time you will be just fine. Good luck, be safe and ask us many questions.
:)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
xd.eric
Any info on the Walther P99 9mm?
Hey eric, you already made your forum name "xd.eric" and you wouldn't want to change it to "Walther.eric" or "Glock.eric" would you?
Too late man, you made your choice! :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts