Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching the Rock Island Armory 1911 officer, which is a 3.5" barrel, and the Springfield xd sub-compact, which is a 4" barrel and the Springfield xd compact which is a 3" barrel. Any opinions on either good, bad, and ugly would be appreciated. Will be using it as my primary ccw. All are around the same cost.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If you are going for ccw then which holds more ammo? What caliber are they?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 are .45acp the other is .40s&w in cali 10 is the max and all hold 7+1. As of now I am using my xd tactical and want to add a couple more to my ccw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad, too much information... sensors overloading...bleh. I think I will sleep on it and go out tomorrow and handle the trifecta a little and I will get back to you all.

·
Registered
266 Posts
go with the xd 45, 45 stopping power, reliable, and hi cap mags. I have a xd 45 service and conceal it daily no problem. The ria is a great range gun, but I would buy the full size RIA, I have limited experiance with them my friend has one, good gun but not as reliable as my xd. The ria jams evrytime we are at the range, every 50 rounds or so it will stove pipe, it is how ever in my oppion more accurate than my xd. But in a defence situation you are typically shooting insid of 10 feet. And the reliability factor of the xd would be my deciding factor. I would rather have a 45 in a 4 inch than a 40 in a 3 inch. the extra inch of barrel is no problem with an IWB holster. and the grip is the same legnth.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looks like he is from California, so no high cap mags for him.

go with the xd 45, 45 stopping power, reliable, and hi cap mags. I have a xd 45 service and conceal it daily no problem. The ria is a great range gun, but I would buy the full size RIA, I have limited experiance with them my friend has one, good gun but not as reliable as my xd. The ria jams evrytime we are at the range, every 50 rounds or so it will stove pipe, it is how ever in my oppion more accurate than my xd. But in a defence situation you are typically shooting insid of 10 feet. And the reliability factor of the xd would be my deciding factor. I would rather have a 45 in a 4 inch than a 40 in a 3 inch. the extra inch of barrel is no problem with an IWB holster. and the grip is the same legnth.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Your talking apples to oranges.
Do you like the SA trigger better than the XD trigger? I do
Do you like the thiness of the 1911 over the thicker XD? I do
Do you prefer the power of the .45 over a .40 or 9mm? I do
Do you enjoy the ability of being able to add custome grips? I do

Hmmm, I guess I prefer the 1911.:p

·
Registered
189 Posts
It all depends on what you like the feel of and what you are most comfortable with. I am a 1911 guy and at one point due to a money situation I traded in my full size 1911 for a XD45 compact. I only shot the XD 60 times, but I realized the grip was not what I wanted so I started looking for another 1911. Now don't get me wrong. I liked the XD. It's a great gun with a lot a great features, but I just didn't like the way it shot, for me.
If you are looking at the RIA officers model, I would recommend the Citadel Compact. It's the same basic gun, built in the same factory, but he Citadel has the hopped up parts already installed. Like, beaver tail safelty, combat sights, skeletonized trigger and hammer. It's a great gun and I love mine and they are very affordable. I purchased mine after I read quite a few reveiws here and in On Target magazine.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I am researching the Rock Island Armory 1911 officer, which is a 3.5" barrel, and the Springfield xd sub-compact, which is a 4" barrel and the Springfield xd compact which is a 3" barrel. Any opinions on either good, bad, and ugly would be appreciated. Will be using it as my primary ccw. All are around the same cost.

Better do more research, the xd sub compact has a 3 inch barrel, not 4. The compact has a 4 inch barrel.

don

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own both, . . . obviously shoot both, . . . ccw both, . . . and I really like the idea of having the extra rounds that the XD provides if I got into a firefight.

BUT, . . . I shoot better with the 1911, . . . it has a better trigger, . . . and the XD folks did not do their homework when it came to designing the grip for my size hand. One of these days I'm going to laminate something to the outside to make it big enough for my hands. My 1911 had to have a couple of spacers, one on each side of the grip.

YMMV.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the replies. I did do some more research and I am sticking with my XD4 AND YES I KNOW I GOT THINGS MIXED UP BUT after hours of reading and researching and hands on time at stores I was a little overwhelmed. Next time I will be more cautious when I post. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts