Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I haven't seen much talk about this, so I thought I'd bring it up again. I recently bought a new XD-9 with the stainless slide. I have not shot it yet, only inspected it a few times and noticed last night that that there is a straight, long scratch on the top of the guide rod that is noticeable when I pull the slide back. How common is this? I've read that this is just cosmetic, and if so, I'll probably let it go, but being my first gun purchase, I'm being a bit anal about keeping it in good condition.

Does anyone have any experience with contacting Springfield about this problem, and if so, what do they say? Is it an issue that can be fixed, but will just reoccur immediately?

Thanks for the help!

Andy

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Pics?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
If you will take the slide off and pull the guide out to look at it you will probably see that the start of the scratch is where the tip of the spring is. That is one of the first things I noticed too. I dont see how it can be avoided as the spring is going to flex as it is compressed and released. I have almost 5K rounds through mine and it has never affected operation.

Do be careful when you reassemble your pistol. If you do not center the rod ist will cause you lots of grief.

BTW....Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to setup an account on a pic storage site...

Thanks for the advice about pulling the guide rod out. I pulled it out, cleaned out the hole (sorry for the lack of terminology) and spinned the pin so that the scratch is down instead of facing up. I've pulled the slide back about 20 times now and have not seen any other scratching.

I have also sent this to the springfield repair department to see if they will send me a replacement. I haven't heard back yet, but when I do, I'll post it up here. In the end, after the research I've done, I will be purchasing one of Don's guide pins (whenever it becomes available again).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts