Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A love the XD and its Safety features but it getting warmer in my area and a need a more cancelable partner because my state only allows conceal carry. I’m leaning to the kel-tech 380 ACP. do to size and price. Any opinions?

PS> I know that little 1991 springfield 45 cal would be nice but its a hell of a price for a secondary s-arm

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought my P3AT for the same reason you're wanting to. I'm on a tight budget so it was a good choice for me.Good little gun for the price and serves it's purpose for something I'm going to carry for 2-3 months out of the year. I've been told local LEO's carry one for a backup gun so it can't be that bad.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have one and there is nothing that comes anywhere close to the size or weight or price and still fires a .380 round.

Don't compare it to ther pistols you may have though. This is not a target gun. It has a horrible trigger and mediocre accuracy. It is a fun gun to shoot and a good pocket pistol and will serve you well in the area of CCW just don't set your expectations to high and you will be pleased.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the P32 and it is a blast to shoot. I can even hit center mass most of the time at 15 yards. It is a great little gun and should serve you well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This is what I carry most of the time. Reasonably accurate, minimum acceptable caliber for carry weapon (for me), but best of all its thinner than a cell phone and disappears in a pocket. With a good pocket holster (Desantis Nemesis for me), it prints like a wallet. Bites the hell out of the web of my hand after 100 consecutive rounds, but then again these things are not meant for plinking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have one but recently bought a kahr PM9 to replace it as my carry gun. I love the Kahr, it's light slim and very accurate. I live in Florida and wear shorts all the time so the KEL TEC was a first chioce for me, it's not a bad gun I just don't think I could hit the broad side of a barn with it in a SHTF situation. It's pretty accurate if you concentrate and aim it and really get a good grip on it, but try drawing it from concealment and firing it under stress, you wouldn't hit S#!t with it. This little thing tries to jump out of my hand when I shoot it. I tried a mag finger extension, but this caused the mag to fall out on evry other shot. I do have to say though with as many 3AT's that have problems, mine never jammed of FTF, or FTE. It was always a reliable feeder, Ijust have big hands and have real trouble holding on to it. The PM9 is sweet, and after a few hundred rounds through it I have the utmost confidence in it. Try to find someone that will let you shoot the Kel Tec before you buy one, it may be the gun for you, but if you buy it and don't like it you won't get crap for it in trade in because you can buy them new for under $300

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have one, it shoots well and seems to be reliable but its not my first choice for SHTF. Its great for what it was designed for, to get your butt to safety and to be VERY discreet in doing so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have the XD subcompact and the Kel-Tec P3AT... different critters. I bought the Kel-Tec for the exact reason you described, hot days, light clothing. It is impossible to beat the Kel-Tec for the combined concealability, cost, and power. It is a great little gun. Having said that, the XD (Glock, Sig, etc.) is a giant leap up in terms of accuracy and reliability (my Kel-Tec has never failed, but when you handle one it becomes pretty obvious it is not at the same level).

I say get it. I don't regret it. I use a K&D 2-in-1 holster (for front or back pocket).

http://www.kdholsters.com/

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love my P3AT. Its become my primary carry mainly because of my job and its BS policies. I have heard about a lot of problems with them but mine has only had one FTE and that was due to limpwristing. The Gen 2 model came out a couple of months ago and from what I hear has some improvements. Don't expect it to be your new range gun though. Its made for one purpose only. The only downside I have found with this gun is that sometimes I forget I have it in my pocket and end up taking in places that are prohibited

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
I had one a few years back that was so problematic it went to the factory 4 times before I off loaded it. I now have a S&W J frame That has never misfired. You can find a new 642 .38spl for under 400.00 or look for a used one if you are on a budget. I personally carry a 649 everyday, year round. I carry other guns as I can, but the revolver always.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Kel-tec 380 P3AT also. I gave it what is known as a fluff and buff see here> .http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm.
I am sorry I could not get the link to work I am new to this. But anyway I followed the steps as posted and I have fired 500 rounds through mine of various kinds of ammo and bullet shapes without a problem.
Not the best quality firearm I have seen at all,But a very nice 380 package that carrys well. The new model. Known as the 2nd generation is suppose to be, better design & quality,You can go to the KTOG group if you want to know the spacifics . .
Mine is the older version or 1st gen. and it has works perfect
I would recomend one of them as well,But you may have to polish it up a little.I understand Kel- Tec is good about fixing thier products if you realy have problems too

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had a P11, and it did everything it said it would, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. Mine had the pinky extensions, trigger shoe, night sites, and had been F&B'd. I just didn't shoot it as well as I felt I would need to in order to carry it, and my bro-in-law really wanted it, so he bought it from me. Some guns you shoot well right away, they point naturally, etc., and others you have to put in extra work to learn to shoot well with. The P11 was in the second category for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also you might consider the plus 1 extention for the mags,they are about 15 bucks but they realy make for a positive in adding a round and a better grip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Some states, like Pennsylvania, don't provide for ANY kind of carriage of a fixed blade, or a folding blade that is obviously a fighting knife. The CCW is specifically restricted to firearms only. So where you might carry a knife, you might consider the P3AT as a second, or even THIRD gun.

Also, it's so flat that if you SOB carry and fall right on it, it won't hurt nearly as much as if you tote a "compact" gun back there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts