Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a matter of speaking. I shoot about 6" high at 25 yards, yet other people who shoot my gun are around the bullseye. My groups are between 3" and 4" and I have almost zero flinch. (I used snap caps loaded randomly in the magazine to check this). The target someone posted earlier says that I'm "breaking my wrist up". Not too sure what that means. I assume I need to hold the gun more firmly. If anyone has any tips on how to shoot lower I'd appreciate it. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What line of sight are you using? The manual says line the sights up on the 6 oclock position. If you are lining the dots up directly on the Bullseye, that might cause you to shoot high. Just a thought.

·
Registered
83 Posts
brian40 said:
What line of sight are you using? The manual says line the sights up on the 6 oclock position. If you are lining the dots up directly on the Bullseye, that might cause you to shoot high. Just a thought.
bingo...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Really there could be a number of things thats causing your delima. I would bet its your trigger control. Have someone look to see if your jerking or squeezing the trigger. Make sure the pad of your finger is on the trigger and not the joint of the finger.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Try the six-o'clock hold and watch the flinching or jerking. This might take several 100rd boxes, but you WILL get better.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve seen some people talk about the dime technique, and it seems like a lot of people don’t know what it is. So here it is, straight out of the Technical Manual the US Military uses. This may or may not help you, but its something you can do at home without spending loads of money on ammo. It is mainly for improving rifle marksmanship, but I’m sure you can come up with a way to modify it for your XD. Hope this helps.

Reference: FM 23-9
INSTRUCTIONAL LEAD-IN: The Dime – Washer exercise is used to test the soldiers ability to apply steady position, correct trigger squeeze, breath control and follow through. Note: When using the M16A1 use a Dime – Washer; M16A2, insert a cleaning rod handle section into the end of the barrel or tape a pencil to the top of the barrel. If the soldier is having difficulty achieving the standard while in the prone unsupported
position, use the supported position to analyze the problem. Consider VAT (Value Added Training), fire in full battle dress, and load the rifle from
magazine pouches. The soldier should have both magazine pouches full (6 magazines). Consider modifying all firing commands to allow soldiers to load from the pouch. Have demonstrator assume an unsupported prone position, and talk him through the followingexercise.

1. This exercise is carried out using the peer coach method.
2. The shooter assumes an unsupported firing position and is critiqued by the coach.
3. The coach assumes a position on the side of the rifle opposite the shooter so that he can watch
the shooter's eye and trigger finger.
SARG - M16 RIFLE
4. The shooter cocks the rifle and aims at the zero target.
5. When the shooter is on target the coach balances the Dime – Washer on the barrel so that it does not touch the flash suppresser.
6. After balancing the washer, the coach tells the shooter, "Ready" and closely observes the shooter (don't watch the Dime – Washer) during the trigger pull.
7. If the washer drops from the barrel during the trigger pull, the coach informs the shooter of the cause.
8. The rifle is cocked and the exercise is repeated until shooter dry-fires nine out of ten times without causing the Dime – Washer to fall.
Note: Have soldiers pair up and perform the exercise. Evaluate and make on the spot corrections as needed.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
pac0cap said:
I’ve seen some people talk about the dime technique, and it seems like a lot of people don’t know what it is. So here it is, straight out of the Technical Manual the US Military uses. This may or may not help you, but its something you can do at home without spending loads of money on ammo. It is mainly for improving rifle marksmanship, but I’m sure you can come up with a way to modify it for your XD. Hope this helps.
It's a lot easier to balance a dime on the flat slide of an XD than on the barrel of an M16. Also, try doing the dime washer drill in an off-hand position. I know you have one right next to you ......
A lot tougher, isn't it? :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could try sticking a two foot wood dowel in your barrel, and ballencing the dime on the end of that. It may seem difficult at first, but if you can master this, and put it to practice when you go live, you wont have any more trigger pull issues. At least that was more of what I was thinking. Just a thought. Hope that I am contributing in a positive way. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
PoSSoM said:
Lock the slide back and balance on the exposed barrel. It will have a slight upward cant but should still hold the dime
Use a 4" service with a 5" tactical barrel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts