Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was calling around to local gun shops trying to find an XDm 9 yesterday. I got ahold of on gun shop owner who said he had an XD9. Once he realized I wasn't interested in what he had in stock he began to warn me about the XD.

Gunshop guy: Do you know where those XD's are made?

Me: Croatia

Gunshop guy: Yup, I dont know what part of the United States Croatia is in, Springfield isn't an all american company anymore. I was at the gun range a while back and a guys XD blew up in his hands, its a very dangerous gun. The Portland police department has had 5 glocks blow up on them, these plastic guns just aren't safe.

Me: So how about the S&W M&P? thats american.

Gunshop guy: Steyr did something smart with their plastic guns. Do you know the difference?

Me: Steyr's are made in Steyr, Austria?

Gunshop guy: yah, and they put a piece of metel in the polymer to strengthen the frame. at least the slide isn't sliding on plastic.

Me: I have an XD .40 with over 1000 rounds through it, and I've never had a problem. and the XD's slide doesn't slide on plastic, there is a metal piece that the slide slides on.

Gunshop guy: well I'm just telling you they aren't safe. blahblahblah

So obviously this guy just seems like an old timer who is afraid of change and new technology. As a veteran I'm as patriotic as the next guy, or more so. But to think that America is the only place in which quality products can be manufactured is stupid. The auto industry certainly illustrates this point.

My question is has anyone actually heard of an XD "Blowing Up" I can only imagine this happening if incorrect loads are used, or the gun is extremely worn out and poorly maintained.

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Gunshop guy: ...I was at the gun range a while back and a guys XD blew up in his hands, its a very dangerous gun.

Maybe it's a case of mistaken identity "block" v XD. They're all the same right?? :-|

·
Registered
104 Posts
Never heard of one blowing up.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I wonder if he says the same thing about Italian made Beretta's or Austrian Glocks or Swiss made Sigs or Israeli made Uzi.

Hey do you know what part of the country Switzerland is in?

Any idiot can blow up a gun if he tries hard enough. People have blown up S&W and Ruger Revolvers too, but that doesn't mean that they're bad guns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
....reminds me of the experience I had in an upscale gun store in central Ohio. The young know-it-all sales kid informed me of the problems with the XD which caused a recall (outright lie on his part) and reminded me that the XD is made in (cringe) Croatia..... He proceeded to extol the virtues of the S&W M&P line. These stories of misinformation spread by supposedly knowledgable people point out the importance of places like this forum where such nonsense can be illuminated for what it is.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Typical gun shop counter snob. Thinks he knows it all and anything he dos'nt own is junk. Same type of people that try to make sure that any question you ask them is a bother to them and to not waste their time and just buy something. I've seen plenty of Glock ka-booms which is what he more than likely has experienced.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you have been around here long enough you would know that it can and does happen once in awhile. I had a ka-boom with an xd45 a couple of years ago and there has been a few others. I still own and shoot the xd in both 40 and 45. Like others have said, it can happen to any brand.
pete

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I'd like to take him to the range with me.... here's an old target of mine shot with my XD40 subcompact at 25 yards... this thing is SMOKING accurate!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm betting you live in the Portland area and you called "The Gun Room".
Yes I'm in the Portland area. I did call the gun room that day, but I called so many gun shops trying to find a bitone XDm 9mm, that I don't remember is that is the one were "out of touch guy" was. It sounds right though.

So I take it you have had some experiences with this guy?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Oh yeah.

One of the most opinionated gun shop owners I have ever met. And sadly he's wrong much more than he's right.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
One of the most opinionated gun shop owners I have ever met. And sadly he's wrong much more than he's right.
Which is a very dangerous thing considering he's selling guns to first time gun owners ... :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
from the local shops here i got good opinions from the xd's when i was first shopping. one guy even had a little theory on why buying a gun from croatia was good as a war torn country would know how to make a good weapon. still most shop guys here carry glock but still appreciate and dont bash the XD.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He didn't try to sell me anything other than to sell me on the idea that all polymer guns are dangerous.

I'm sure if I had bought his line of crap, he would have had something to sell me.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
that's as bad as the genius at Discount Firearms in Vegas telling me that there was no such thing as a conversion barrel for the XD.

bwahahahahahahahaha

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
This just goes to show 90% of the people who work in gun stores are not sales people they are just someone who works in a gun store. If they even had any selling skills they would be sold out of everything. I have seen many of them talk someone out of a sale just because they would not listen and they talk way to much.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts