Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first big post to the General forum. Long time lurker, just joined today. (I promise not to engage in trollish activities. :shock: ) Anyway, who uses your XD as a primary home defense (nightstand) gun? What kind of loads do you use? Any other house guns of interest you've got under the bed? I've got a 1911 loaded with 155gr frangibles on the nightstand, 12 guage under the bed. I'm thinking of adding my new XD9 (Sub Compact) to the lineup - mainly for my wife (she claims it as hers anyway.) If this topic has already been covered, I apologize.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Hey M1...Welcome.

My hs2k is not only my duty piece, but also my nightstand gun. It has served a multitude of purposes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use my XD 40 for home defense...right on the nightstand next to me. I added a Streamlight M-6 Laser/Light, works very, very well. Also, for home defense, I use the PMC Starfire 155 Gr., muzzle velocity is about 1160. For Range shooting I like the WWB 180 Gr. roundball.

·
Registered
109 Posts
XD9 for carry, Benelli Nova after bedtime. Something about having a handgun when I'm groggy doesn't appeal to me.

Once I get my Hi Point carbine in working order, that may be another option. It's one of the coolest firearms I've ever tried.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I use my XD357 as my primary Home Protection Weapon. For Home Protection I load it with CorBon Powerball or JHP's, or Speer Gold Dots.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Another fan of the Benelli!!!!! good to hear...in fact i have 2 guns within easy reach of the bed..... XD and the Benelli.....both are for different situations. if i am going outside to check on a disturbance, its tuck the XD in the waistband (in a UM paddle holster of course) and have the benelli (3 buckshot OO in front of 2 slug ) in hand. if i think someone has gotten past the dogs and into the house.... it is XD and 15 + 1 Hydrashock in a double grip with surfire G3 (great light at great price). god i pray i never wake up and have to use either, but i rest easier knowing they are there and i can protect my family and ranch at a moments notice. hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry, nothing says get the F#$% out of my house like the rack of a shotgun. it is by far the best home gun, IMO. yes a pistol is good, but some nice 00 buck will not go into the neighbors house and for close quarters work like a house it very effective. i would think that most times, the sound of the rack alone would be enough for any intruder to be unhappy.

so like the other person said, XD for carry, room sweeper for home.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i still like the "hallway howitzer" idea for the old 12gauge
just point it..... 8)

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Welcome M1Thumb.
The line up. HS Gen1 on the night stand. Streamlight hanging on the headboard. Kimber TLE under the pillow. Win 1300 leaning against the bed post loaded in order of appearance - #6 shot, 00 buck, slug.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Xd 9 here with +P+ Federal jhp and a mossy 500 with 3 multipurpose #7.5 shells and 2 slugs alternating.

Flashlight ... lil maglight
And soon to be 1911 in 4 or 5 days.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I use my XD9sub for carry only, my Sig has NS and sits on the night stand. I keep the shotguns locked up. Its hard to go around a corner with even the shortest of shotgun barrels and not risk having someone grab it. This was one of the things brought up by the instrustors in a home defense course I took. I use my Sig and a 3-D mag light for my night stalking. Oh yeah, I have 2 hungry large breed dogs that will wake me in plenty of time to gather my wits in the night.

Oh yeah, Ohio is a shotgun only deer hunting state. You guys might not want to load those slugs in your home. Over the years we have shot many old cars, abandon homes, etc... Ive seen 12 gauge slugs go entirely through brick walls, both sides of cars, concrete block. Thos things are like depleted uranium rods to the building materials in your home.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
R Dub said:
The line up. HS Gen1 on the night stand. Streamlight hanging on the headboard. Kimber TLE under the pillow. Win 1300 leaning against the bed post loaded in order of appearance - #6 shot, 00 buck, slug.
This IS a joke, right?

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not a big "shotgun for home defense" guy. First, at close quarters, any long arm is extremely easy to get taken from you. The barrel is just too long, and it gives the intruder something to grab.

Second, at regular, in home ranges, even the lightest bird shot will act exactly like a slug. It will just stay together as one projectile. This is dangerous when in use by someone who doesn't think you have to aim a shotgun. If you just point and pull the trigger, you will miss the bad guy.

BTW, how often do you take your shotgun to the range? Do you shoot it at realistic "in-home" ranges? Using the same rounds you'll use for self-defense? At night?

The sound of a shotgun slide being "racked" has a certain unmistakable flavor to it, though. I choose to use the piece I am most familiar with for home defense, and that is a pistol, though I do have an AR15 that is fairly handy. These are the two guns I use for work, target practice, etc. so it is familiarity and handiness that are my main priorities when I select a home defense weapon.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts