Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a match about a month back, I had my XDm's (circa 2011) trigger fail to reset. Racked the slide and was good to go. I chalked this up to operator error - not letting the trigger out enough to reset. A realistic explanation.

Next week I had the same thing happen. Operator error again? Certainly plausible, but since I hadn't had it happen in the previous 10+ years, I was suspicious.

At home with an unloaded firearm (obviously ... or at least I hope it would be obvious), I was able to get the problem to repeat 3 additional times - this time for certain the trigger went all the way forward after the last pull. And then nothing. No more problems after that - I don't know how many tries. I gave up.

So ... I'm guessing crud, which eventually worked it's way out. Again, very plausible as I've never had the lower completely apart. It has 6K+ rounds, several hundred of which were cast bullet loads. Regardless, I feel like a full-scale disassembly and clean are in order. At least it's the place to start.

Since I'll have the whole thing apart, I figure it makes sense to replace the trigger bar spring and the sear spring. They're inexpensive ... either could be the cause of the problem (although not likely) ... but again, I'll have the whole thing apart anyway, so I figure it makes sense. And although I may go with an aftermarket trigger package later, I want to stick with stock right now to ensure I've got the current problem licked first.

So ... finally ... the question: Is the OEM sear spring for the XDm the same as the XD? I can find a factory Springfiled XD sear spring in a lot of places (looking at xdgunparts.com at the moment), but I'm not finding a sear spring specific to the XDm anywhere. I am finding a trigger bar spring listed specifically for the XDm. Just need to know if I buy the XD sear spring that I'll be ok - or not.

Thanks,
dogfood

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
While not laying both side by side or checking tension I would wager they are the same. I think they changed the sear angle on the “M’s” for a lighter pull even though my XD service is lighter with the PR kit. If your using it for competition I personally would install the PR kit as it also shortens the reset distance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Numrich has different product numbers for the XDM and XD sear springs, but PRP uses the same sear spring for their trigger kits, so it's hard to say definitively one way or another.

Reactions: robert1952

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I made the same inquiry to XD Gun Parts and they replied that the sear springs are the same. I haven't verified this myself (haven't swapped or tested yet), but I do have new springs in hand. This looks like a Thanksgiving weekend project.

dogfood

1 - 4 of 4 Posts