Springfield XD Forum banner

Rust and Your XD

• I take good care of my XD and have NEVER had any rust.

• I take good care of my XD and HAVE had rust.

• I take less than good care of my XD and have NEVER had any rust.

• I take less than good care of my XD and HAVE had rust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the "rust" issue keeps popping up. Personally I think it is an overblown, minor issue. People who don't have problems don't have reason to say anything, so here is a poll to attempt to put some hard numbers to this. I realize that there are more owners of XD's than post to this forum so the poll is unscientific but let's see what we get. The poll is for "rust" issues only, not finish problems such as wear or scratches.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Your right. You only hear from the people that complain. Most of the time these people would complain no matter what and about anything. If your gun rusts It's because your not taking care of it. Just because a rolls royce is expensive doesn't mean it won't dent.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
as i have said before. my XD is my workhorse, a beater if you will, i have put several thousand rounds through it without a cleaning. i never wipe it down with oil or silicone cloth, and i have yet to have a problem with it.

however, i do have a tiny bit of rust at the rear of the slide. does it bother me? nope, cause i can send it in to SA for free and have a better finish put on for free.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
a poll to end all.

However, i would liek to see if people carry, if they are the ones who get rust

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Nickle1 said:
If your gun rusts It's because your not taking care of it.
I used to think the same thing, until I saw some rust on mine.

NExd, I got my rust after carrying while hiking. The gun had been thoroughly cleaned less than a week before, but I sweat like a pig that day, and saw the rust that afternoon.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
NExd said:
However, i would liek to see if people carry, if they are the ones who get rust
yes, mine rusted, i carry all day everyday. Plus i live in houston, a very hot and humid place. i never wipe down my gun. i have a little spot of rust on the rear of my slide.

i think your theory is probably correct.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am glad the rust is here. Now i can send to SA for a new finish.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had a little bit creep up in the metal parts on top of the frame, but not the slide. Stuff wiped right off but I wasn't too happy to see it. I take pretty good care of it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This is what my XD looked like after shooting in the rain and then an hour's drive home in the wet clothes. I take good care of my guns and this surprised me because I didn't expect that much of a patina that fast. The 1911 in the pic suffered pretty much the same indignities that day and as you can see didn't rust as much even though it has more metal.

I have since had http://www.shootiniron.com/index.html Mac's Shootin' Irons put a Tuff Gun finish on it and like it so much that I also had that 1911 in the pic done too.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I be intrested to see if those who voted they had rust, of those when did they buy thier xd or HS2000, when I went to the local gun show a few weeks ago it seemed the newer stuff had a better finish on it, maybe just my mind but I think springfeild is proabbly trying to address this issue, I think in a few years, it will be a null issue.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I carry mine in an IWB up against skin daily for 12+ hours a day. No rusting even with sweat. I just wipe them down with an oily rag about 2 times a week now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I carry mine in an IWB up against skin daily for 12+ hours a day. No rusting even with sweat. I just wipe them down with an oily rag about 2 times a week now.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I too carry in IWB for long hours each day. The only rust I had was on the ambi mag release where it makes contact with my skin on the left side. I removed the rust with a wire brush (nah, not really), then used some Armadillo on it. I reapply the Armadillo every time I clean the gun and no more problem.

I clean the gun EVERY time I shoot; old habit I got into when working and my life could depend on my gun functioning properly. Since I carry it ccw, it still does.

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts
I've only had the heads of my pins show rust. . . and that one time last summer. but it all came off with a pencil eraser. I can't blame it. . . holster was soaked in sweat all day everyday, I would just wipe it off and put it back in it's sweat soaked holster.

Krackels

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had surface rust on the slide on my XD-40 service after hiking in the woods last summer. It was hot and humid but after a 4 hour hike and ride home some fine rust was on the slide almost powder like. It wiped off with oil but I have since sent it to CCR to have it refinished, so no more problems.

I oil my pistols everytime I shoot them which is about once a month.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 4" XD9 showed a light layer of rust that wiped off with a gun cloth after carrying in my homemade tactical vest on a weekend hiking trip.

My new subcompact showed the same amount after carrying in a bellyband for one day. The date on the envelope the fired casing comes in was 2/3/05, and I bought it the dealer received it.

Both guns are wearing an Armadillo shell now, so I don't expect to see it again.

My 4" does have some holster wear on the front corners of the slide, but I have been shown a G34 carried in kydex for 6 months that has 5 times the bare metal showing through.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I spray Boeshield T-9 on mine and have not experienced a spec of rust. It lasts a good six months assuming you don't use a solvent to clean the exterior of the slide. It is far superior to just wiping the slide with light gun oil which tends to evaporate. I've heard that Armadillo also works well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts