Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been asked over and over but i am looking for help. We own a S&W .357 686, that we keep next to the bed. My wife can shoot that fine (we use .38). I live in Arizona so I am looking for something that i can carry with me and is more fun to shoot. I have shot the XD 9 and the ZD 45 and see little difference. Help!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ammo is a lot cheaper for the 9m Milli. At very close ranges, it probably doesn't matter. The .45 is a better stopper. I am no longer a .45 owner so I have no axe to grind. I am sure others will post there is not much difference. If there was no difference, there would only be 9mm pistols on the market. This does not mean the 9mm is a bad round by any means.

The .45 is decent in any form of ammo----FMJ or HP. The 9mm is only effective in a carefully chosen, JHP configuration.

If you plan to shoot a lot, I would go with the 9mm. They are a joy to shoot and again easy on the wallet.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Everyone should have at least (1) 9mm. First pistol? I vote for the 9mm.

OH...BTW, Welcome to the Forum from Texas! :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm contemplating the same dilemma now... I thought I was set on .45 because I already own a .45 (EDC) and didn't want to stock another round. But the combination of being cheaper to shoot, higher mag. cap. and easier to control for the wife has me leaning toward the 9mm for an HD option.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i think you would enjoy both calibers, through the cost of the 9mm may make it more enjoyable, more ammo, same money.

When you go 45acp go 1911.Everyone needs a 9mm and a 1911.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Welcome first of all. I prefer 45 ACP and have several pistols in the caliber. However the cold reality is, I shoot more 9mm than anything else. Why? It is way cheaper to shoot.

The Xdm 3.8 would be a good selection and would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thx! I think i have decided to get the 9mm now and then get a 1911!

That's my plan. I have an XDm compact 9mm, love it. Some day (maybe very soon if I keep browsing gun store display cases) I'll be getting a 1911, and it'll almost certainly be a .45. I keep telling myself I need to hold off on buying a 1911 but every time I go to a gun shop or look at 1911s online, I find myself on the verge of impulse buying one. One of these days I'm going to break down and buy one, then hate myself for it, then go shoot it, then love myself for it, then realize that if I'm going to shoot .45 I should start reloading, then buy reloading equipment, then hate myself for spending so much money..... This is complicated

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The XD9SC has a 3" barrel and the XD45 compact (sadly they don't make a sub compact) has a 4" barrel. If you consider carrying it the grip is also a bit longer and wider.

·
Registered
33 Posts
FWIW, this excerpt is from the FBI Firearms Training Unit. Page 9:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

This is one of the reasons I switched from multiple calibers to the 9mm. I used to have Walther P99 in 40SW, and have found that the 9mm with good ammo is just as effective as the 40 or 45 but with the benefit of greater magazine capacity.

Goddard amply proves the fallacy of "knock-down power" by calculating the heights (and resultant velocities) from which a one pound weight and a ten pound weight must be dropped to equal the momentum of 9mm and .45ACP projectiles at muzzle velocities, respectively. The results are revealing. In order to equal the impact of a 9mm bullet at its muzzle velocity, a one pound weight must be dropped from a height of 5.96 feet, achieving a velocity of 19.6 fps. To equal the impact of a .45ACP bullet, the one pound weight needs a velocity of 27.1 fps and must be dropped from a height of 11.4 feet. A ten pound weight equals the impact of a 9mm bullet when dropped from a height of 0.72 inches (velocity attained is 1.96 fps), and equals the impact of a .45 when dropped from 1.37 inches (achieving a velocity of 2.71 fps).30

A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. If it had the energy to do so, then equal energy would be applied against the shooter and he too would be knocked down.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hmm . . . interesting. As an example, I alway's equated a .45 to being hit broadside by a 2 x 10 vs. a much smaller caliber, by a 2 x 4.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FWIW, this excerpt is from the FBI Firearms Training Unit. Page 9:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

This is one of the reasons I switched from multiple calibers to the 9mm. I used to have Walther P99 in 40SW, and have found that the 9mm with good ammo is just as effective as the 40 or 45 but with the benefit of greater magazine capacity.
this being said I think everyone should own BOTH as well as a 40 , 357 magnum, shotgun. AR-15 etc etc.

This is a load of hot steaming CR...P a 45 has a lot more stopping power than a 9mm. dont get me wrong a 9mm will kill if placed right but in no way has the stopping power of a 45. shoot a crazed druggie in the shoulder with 9mm and he keeps coming at you. shoot the same guy with a 45 and he stops short to see where his arm went...

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a load of hot steaming CR...P a 45 has a lot more stopping power than a 9mm. dont get me wrong a 9mm will kill if placed right but in no way has the stopping power of a 45. shoot a crazed druggie in the shoulder with 9mm and he keeps coming at you. shoot the same guy with a 45 and he stops short to see where his arm went...
And what sort of personal experience do you have to confirm your statement? Did you bother to read the report I linked above including the physics examples given in said report? I'm not trying to confront, but I tend to believe ballistics experts that work for the government more than anonymous forum participants.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Maybe with the .45 making a larger hole then would equate to more blood being spilled, hence going down quicker (ha). Seriously, it just seems though that through all of the years of the .45 being known (through all of those 1st hand accounts) as having the superior stopping/knockdown power that they can't be that wrong. And no offense intended but sometimes the government does make mistakes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts