Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Springfield XD 9mm 4" and went happily to my favorite gun range with several boxes of Wolf 115gr ammo. The cartridges kept getting stuck and even live ammo would also get stuck. I ended purchasing brass 124 gr ammo from the range. All 100 shots went perfectly, I then tried the Wol ammo again and to still got stuck.

:confused:Is it the ammo or is it me?

A new XD owner

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
It's the ammo. Wolf is terrible.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Welcome by the way!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
HA! That'll teach ya fer buying wolf (...i buy 9mm wolf for my PF9)

it's the combo of the ammo and the gun. likely, it isn't you. you might want to see if it works in another 9mm firearm, or take a caliper to it and ensure it's in spec.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Buy decent ammo, steel Russian junk is bad for the gun and the range.

It's the ammo.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Ammo's fine.

Gun's fine.

You're fine.

But there's something about the combination of the above three that's screwing with the cosmic balance. Knock it off.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
I'll buy Perfecta from WM before I'll buy Wolf. Tula steel rounds do the same thing.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Ammo's fine.

Gun's fine.

You're fine.

But there's something about the combination of the above three that's screwing with the cosmic balance. Knock it off.

:lol:
Exactly.

Some guns just don't like some ammo.

Of my 3 XDms, all in 9mm, one does not like to play nice for malfunction medley with spent Federal American Eagle cases. I end up, 50% of the time, having to mortar it or even use a dowel to punch out the spent case from the muzzle end. The other two? Standard reductions send the once-spent case flying.

Go figure. :?:

Plenty of people here - myself included - have used Wolf/TulAmmo/Blazer aluminum, etc., with no problems.

If a certain ammo doesn't work with your gun, just stop it. Or make a note of it so you can practice stoppage reduction with it. :)

On a more serious note, this is precisely the reason why most will advise that if the gun is to be used for defensive purposes, that you'll want to be sure to "prove" the gun with your intended-for-use defensive ammo.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
It's the ammo....the steel casings are often coated, does not expand/retract well during the firing process and can cause jamming. Now I purchased 1000 rounds of Wolf for use at Gunsite Academy and had zero issues but that was with my Glock 17. I decided to try it in my PPX and had a hard jam on the 20th round. The casing jammed in the barrel, it took 30 minutes to get it unlodged. I use it only in my Glocks but none of my other guns. Like others have said though, it may work in your gun regardless. I shoot steel cased Tula and Monarch in my XDM with no problems.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I went to the Doctor one time complaining that my shoulder hurts when I put my arm behind my head.

Doctor...."Well, don't do that." :mrgreen:

Iv'e got a TCP that gobbles up anything labeled 94gr. Go to Herters 95gr., and it turns into jam-o-matic. :confused: Hu? WTF? Not worth a trip back to Taurus.

But it runs Hornaday CD and Fed. HS like a scalded ape!

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
I have a CZ75B that runs fine on cheap Tula 9mm, but when my co worker tried some in his SR9 it choked on them big time. He switched back to wwb and it ran fine again. It happens sometimes.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum, It's the Wolf's ammo and a lot of people are complaining about the same thing. I bought a box of 380 and I had problems with it with my Ruger miss firing. Also note Wolfs ammo is very dirty.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
On a more serious note, this is precisely the reason why most will advise that if the gun is to be used for defensive purposes, that you'll want to be sure to "prove" the gun with your intended-for-use defensive ammo.
I forgot the personal example on this one, sorry. :oops:

My Ruger SR9c doesn't like to feed CorBon's 115 gr. DPX. A premium defensive round that appears on DocGKR's list as a viable choice for those who like a hot and fast round, for some reason, my SR9c just doesn't like it. No, it's not the mags - I have something like 7 mags for this particular pistol, and the round does it with all of the mags. Go figure.

My Kahr PM9 starts "slowing down" after about 200 rounds. It doesn't actually fail to return to battery, but it hangs for a half second when I drop the slide using the slide-lock/release from a slide-lock or administrative reload. It does this a bit more with my preferred defensive cartridge - the Federal 147 gr. HST - than it does with Speer's 147 gr. Gold Dot...so guess which one I use in that gun?

Some guns just don't like some rounds. It happens. Feed it something else and move on. :)

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Most XD's including mine have no problem running Wolf through it. Were all the Wolf from the same box/lot?

I've shot everything from the cheapest dirtiest combloc ammo I could find (it was something like 2.25 a box of 25), to 1970s Surplus IMI, WWII Winchester, and all of the other major current manufacturers. I've not had any problems that weren't ammo related.

Have you polished your feed ramp yet?

It sounds like the case mouths could be catching on the lip of the barrel throat. It also sounds like you have FTE (failures to eject) which could be from a build up of carbon because the cases don't expand like the brass would.

It also could be just the gun needs to break in a little too. Try shooting some more Tula/Wolf out of it after you've put 500 rounds of ammo you know it'll shoot fine through.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Krackels - My experience with the Tula - The rounds hang up inside the mag, binding with each other and the inside wall of the mag instead of "rolling" against each other on the way up. There's no round at the top of the mag to even feed.

Sent from the county jail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts