Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my XD9mm and plan on doing some dry fire training at home. I have been told however that dry firing this gun will damage the firing pin or some other internal part.
Is there any truth to this?
If so please give me details of the damage that can be caused and what I can do to "safely" dry fire my XD.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Dry firing "might" break the firing pin retaining pin--the roll pin visible at the top of the slide. Easily replaced if it does break.

Use snap caps, should prevent the problem.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You can safely dry fire all you want, though there is a chance that you will break your firing pin retention pin (The roll pin in the top of the slide). I broke mine, and SA sent me a new one free of charge. You can also by them at the local hardware store for cheap.

I use snap caps anymore because I don't want to have to replace it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm using the little search option at the top gives me 105 hits when searching for "dry fire"

Maybe you can find info there that would have the answer you seek???

Sorry for the sarcasm. Couldn't help it

Here is a link to the FAQ on the XD. Scroll down a little ways and there is your answer

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15674

If you want more detailed info, use the search as described above and you will find plenty info

BTW:Congrats on your XD :D

Regards

Noxio

·
Registered
463 Posts
Noxio said:
Hmm using the little search option at the top gives me 105 hits when searching for "dry fire"

Maybe you can find info there that would have the answer you seek???
You're argument was negated by your own words. 105 hits on "dry fire” which is probably 103 threads which have sentences similar to "do you store your gun decocked i.e. dry fire it to decock it before storing? Or do you store it cocked?” With that many hits it is often times difficult if not impossible to find what you are actually looking for. The search function is not very sophisticated on this forum only allowing and/or/not/* modifiers. I am often times not able to find what I'm looking for even after 15 to 20 minutes of trying different search terms looking for a thread I have read not a week prior.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is a from the above posted XD FAQ thread regarding dry firing:

Is the XD safe to dryfire?
Yes the XD and HS2000 is safe to dryfire, since the xd uses a striker fired system you have to dryfire the XD to take it apart. The XD is designed with a striker (firing pin) dampining spring. This dampining spring is located between the back of the breechface and the stiker, this cusions the blow of the striker making it safe. The trigger of the XD actually gets better after several hundred dryfires...things seem to smooth out.

If dry firing does indeed cause the retaining pin to break, it should probably be mentioned in the FAQ.

I thought as others did that dry firing was not only safe for an XD, but encouraged because it can help smooth out the trigger. I dry fired the piss out of mine, so far no ill effects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts