Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked in glocktalk and am wondering what you here think of these 2 guns. I already have a glock 26. I used to have a Steyr S9 (sold it when I needed money)

I'm now debateing between an XD-9 and a MA1 or a Steyr M9

Pro's and con's?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a S9, M9 M40 and S40. Plus I have a XD9 and XD40 both which are tacticals. Besides the XDs I shoot the S series guns the most. They are my everyday carry guns so I like to practice with them as much as possible. While the Steyr and XD are both polymer framed guns made in Europe they really are differant guns.

In my opinion the Steyrs are a higher quality more refined pistol. I have had great luck with mine. They all feed and shoot extremly well. The downsides with the Steyrs has more to do with finding mags, holsters, and the lack of any real support in the market. The bore axis does feel lower on the Steyrs which is supposed to be a bonus for recoil.

I use both of my XDs for shooting in USPSA matches so I shoot them a ton. XD is the new Glock and is working hard at chipping away at the huge lead that Glock has. There are tons of accesories to be had from a bunch of differant suppliers. I am also a big fan of the grip safety that the XD has. It saved my butt once and I wouldn't want to give it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the manual safties arn't that big of a deal to me. Are there night sights available for both of these?

The M9 felt amazing in my hand. I didn't know a firearm could feel so right ever! I saw a picture of a SA1 with a picture of a MA1 and new aug so I know they are makeing the SA1, but I dont know if I want to wait long either or not.

not having the holster options could be a problem since I like my comptac CTAC with the closed end.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I love the M9 that I got from CDNN and feel that it is one of my best pistols. I got rid of my XD Service 40, it just wasnt for me. The steyr feels better than any polymer gun IMO. I would go the M9 and not look back. Steyr is a better built gun IMO and should do anything you want it to, especially when you need it most. Get what YOU want and not what other tell you to get. Base your decision on what works for you, how you shoot it, reliability etc... but I would try to shoot them all, which I have and the M9 did it for me. The only better grip is the CZ or Witness, CZ clone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An employee at Gander Mt told me I can't get replacement parts easily for it. Is that true?

·
Registered
875 Posts
There is a Warranty center for Steyr pistols in IA. If something malfunctions you would have to send it to them to have it fixed. It is similar to a SA does.

Your biggest mistake is listening to what anyone tells you at Gander Mountain!! 85% of the gun counter guys at GM don't have a clue what they are talking about.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you know if they have anything that makes the trigger 8lb like glock has the option to do? currently I have my carry pistal at 8lb for the trigger.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Early models had the heavier trigger, I do not know if you can mod the trigger to more lbs. It is a good trigger though. There are parts avail for the Steyr and you can get them. Ask here and you wont get and BS answers. www.steyrclub.com

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have often wondered how and why Steyr can call their pistol a DAO when it is carried with a fully cocked striker exactly like the XD. which we all know is single action.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had two XD's and an M40, I really like them both. Funny I carry the XD because of the backstrap safety, I never really cared for and therefore don't use the safety on the M40. The M40 is next to my bed though. I have the earlier version and as comfortable as it is, the 2nd gen I think is even more so. I agree with sturmruger and BogBob68 about the fit, finish and feel of the Steyr being better.
The only real problem with the Steyr is that is a more esoteric choice and the equipment to run it, i.e., holsters are very limited compared to the XD (which make it not even on the map when compared to what’s out there for a Glock). I had trigger work done and it is one of my favorite triggers both before and after the work was done. It is a nice gun, especially for the price – however you may get frustrated buying accessories for it. I did not have any problem a year ago when I ordered back up pieces before the trigger work was done (just in case). Ok, I’m done rambling…

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
who is importing them in the United States now? CDNN only has the M9 but not the MA1?

I'd like to hold one before I purchased it, but I can't find any yet.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Why would you want to carry a gun with a 8lb trigger! I prefer mine closer to 4 myself. Don't believe all the wannabe lawyer talk even 2 lbs would be safe if you train with it that way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
harder for it to go off. If for some reason I do put my finger on the trigger and someone were to run in front of me I want a TINY TINY TINY fraction of a second to attempt to save someone's life.

how about the comparision of just the firearm between the M9 and XD-9

·
Registered
387 Posts
They are both good quality pistols. They are both accurate and very reliable.

Pick the one you like best.

I own them both. I keep the Steyr for shooting games and the XD for everyday carry.

The XD is better for carry because it is a safer design.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does anyone have a picture of a S9 and a sub compact XD-9? I am wondering which one is thicker and longer.

The XD is not tennifered so would the stainless be better then the black finish for rust protection?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if we didn't have to deal with these copyrights and patents we could have the best of everything lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts