Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably isnt the most fair place to compare since it is a xd forum. But I was all set on the xd-9 service when the salesman showed me a glock 19. Anybody dare to cpmpare the two. Pros and cons for both?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Both would make a good choice. I was leaning Glock before I settled on the XD and here's why.

1. Ergonomics
2. Price
3. Balance
4. Design/Construction
5. Aesthetics
6. Support an American company
7. Safety features
8. Warranty

I am very happy with my decision!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It comes down to which gun feels like an extension of your hand and feels the most comfortable to you. To me the Glock is a superb gun, but didnt fit in my hand like the XD does. Plus add the SA warranty/customer service, USA co. and I had a no brainer which one to choose.

My only decision is either XD .40 or 9mm.

Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd go with the Glock. If nothing else, it does have superior corrosion resistance. Feel is subjective. The Glock points naturally in my hand while the XD points low. It may be the opposite for you, but that's how I feel.

The Glock does have a loaded chamber indicator (look at the extractor on the newer ones), but not the grip safety or cocking indicator. Why would it need either one? The XD is more akin to carrying a cocked and unlocked Colt series 80. The Glock's firing pin while not at rest isn't at full cock either (like the XD). Therefore it doesn't need a cocking indcator or a grip safety to be safe.

As far as supporting an American company, you do know that the XDs are made in Croatia? They also import their 1911s from Brazil. I see no advantage on either one on this.

Also one factor you should consider is the aftermarket for these guns. Thousands upon thousands of holsers for the Glock exist, while you are more limited to what kind of holster you can buy for an XD. A leather duty holster for an XD? As our New York friends would say "Fugetaboutit". Night sights, trigger mods and other things are available for the Glock that aren't for the XD. Spare parts? You have one place to go for them with an XD, while you have hundreds of places for the Glock.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Watch it hal9000, you'll be accused of being a "troll" like me. The Glocks are much simpler to work on and modify as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
XD-9 service is full size, the Glock 19 is a compact. You should campare the XD to the 17

As far as working and modifying my XD I havn't had to do either. My son has a Glock 19 and he hasn't had to work on that either. I would call those poor reasons to choose your pistol. Pick the one that fits, both will serve you well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
masterofg3 said:
Watch it hal9000, you'll be accused of being a "troll" like me. The Glocks are much simpler to work on and modify as well.
Trollin', trollin', trollin',

Though the net is swollen,

Keep those posts a rollin',

Rawhide! :D

Seroiusly, I own both. An XD and a three Glocks (17,27 and 32). I've never been a big fan of the 1911 so the Glock just points more naturally for me. Add to the fact that SA isn't selling parts anymore (you have to send the XD back to them for repair) and it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
masterofg3 said:
Trollin', trollin', trollin',

Though the net is swollen,

Keep those posts a rollin',

Rawhide! :D

Seroiusly, I own both. An XD-9 101 and a three Glocks (17,27 and 32). I've never been a big fan of the 1911 so the Glock just points more naturally for me. Add to the fact that SA isn't selling parts anymore (you have to send the XD back to them for repair) and it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've owned both. I've owned Glock 17's and 19's and a 20....the only one I have left is the 20 because XD doesn't have a 10MM. It's easier to field strip an XD then a Glock, when you have gloves on, the takedown on a Glock barely protrudes the sides of the frame. Yeah, the Glock has a loaded chamber indicator.......but see if you can feel that little red mark or feel the minuteness the extractor has moved when there is a case head under it, or can you tell in the dark if the gun is cocked with a round in it....not much trigger reset to tell by that. Both can be felt or seen on an XD, of course if your usuing it for defense it should be carried with a round in the chamber and ready to go........yes people sometime carry guns cocked without a round in the chamber, don't know why, but it's happened. If you ever get into shooting 1911 style guns, you'll be glad you got an XD, they have almost the very same grip angle......XD's cost about 100 bucks or more less then Glocks. I don't know how many after market parts you need, but holster are plentifull, night sights are plentifull, and even guide rod's as well as other "extended" parts...if you feel the need. IMO, the only plus Glock has going for it is you can go from a 5# trigger pull to 3.5# in about 20 minutes.

BTW, you'll get more Honest opinions here when you mention Glocks then the Blinded Rhetoric you'll get on a familiar sight......Man, they hate it there when I log in :D
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
86 Posts
Based on info from Glock and SA's sites, the following are published barrel lengths:

Glock 19: 4.02"
XD9 Service: 4.05"
Glock 17: 4.49"
XD9 Tactical: 5.01"
Glock 34: 5.39"
True, but compare butt sizes and the XD more closely resembles the Glock 17. In my years of carrying concealed, it's usually the butt that sticks out more than the barrel or slide length.

For the life of me, I don't know why SA didn't have the Croats build a true compact (not sub compact) off of the Service models.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It just seems a bit redundant to have a loaded chamber indicator AND a cocked firing pin indicator? Where's the time to release the trigger indicator and proper sight alignment indicator? Lets face it, if the operator needs this much help, perhaps he should consider darts or backgammon. :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
SonnyD said:
I've owned both. I've owned Glock 17's and 19's and a 20....the only one I have left is the 20 because XD doesn't have a 10MM. It's easier to field strip an XD then a Glock, when you have gloves on, the takedown on a Glock barely protrudes the sides of the frame. Yeah, the Glock has a loaded chamber indicator.......but see if you can feel that little red mark or feel the minuteness the extractor has moved when there is a case head under it, or can you tell in the dark if the gun is cocked with a round in it....not much trigger reset to tell by that. Both can be felt or seen on an XD, of course if your usuing it for defense it should be carried with a round in the chamber and ready to go........yes people sometime carry guns cocked without a round in the chamber, don't know why, but it's happened. If you ever get into shooting 1911 style guns, you'll be glad you got an XD, they have almost the very same grip angle......XD's cost about 100 bucks or more less then Glocks. I don't know how many after market parts you need, but holster are plentifull, night sights are plentifull, and even guide rod's as well as other "extended" parts...if you feel the need. IMO, the only plus Glock has going for it is you can go from a 5# trigger pull to 3.5# in about 20 minutes.

BTW, you'll get more Honest opinions here when you mention Glocks then the Blinded Rhetoric you'll get on a familiar sight......Man, they hate it there when I log in :D
Regards Sonny
Sonny,

I never really thought that field stripping a gun down in the heat of combat would be something I would need to do, with gloves on no less. I'll be the first to admit it isn't easy to get to as the XD, but it's made that way for a reason, so that it doesn't get hung up on a draw. besides, there are many companies making extended takedown lever for the Glocks if you ever feel the need.

You have a valid point about the cost, but what do you lose for that more than $100. A virtually indestructable non rusting finish. Sure you can get the slide in stainless, but what about the internal parts? Are they stainless too? Hmmm? It also seems that the newer Glocks have a smoother finish on the slide. Teflon, perhaps? Anyway, it is a pain in the butt to try and rack the slide with wet or oily fingers.

One thing I forgot to mention is the standard sights. What else can I say but they suck on the Glock. Here is one area I feel they let us down on. The plastic sights, while far from being flimsy, just don't match up to the higher profile steel ones on the XD. Don't even get me started with night sights. The newer Glocks come with the front sight staked in (much like the 1911). I much prefered the old screw types.

As far as a cocking indcator is concerned, you can tell if the gun is partially cocked by the trigger. If it is all the way back, it's uncocked. If it's forward, it's partially cocked. Yes, you can feel the difference with gloves on.

The loaded chamber indcator is indeed functional. It is a nice sized protrusion of the extractor that you can feel with either hand. Sure it doesn't protrude as much as the XD, but it won't get the gun hung up on a draw or reholsering either. I can't speak for it when using gloves.

As for holsters being plentiful, perhaps you can reccomend a level II leather duty holster for a XD-9 Tactical. You see my department is going to the XD9-401s and I would rather have my own leather holster instead of the state issued Uncle Mike's crap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cannot for the life of me understand why their is this possessive nature about the Glock. There are posters here that take any comment, comparison on negativity or not as an assault on their manhood. Did they help design the pistol? Do they own stock in the company? Mere mention of anything anti-Glock brings the minions running, even if it was a simple question on comparing the XD to a Glock. I get so tired of this. Its old. They love Glocks, I know already. They find 100 things wrong with every other gun. I want to enjoy this forum and the XD. Its getting harder to do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's the same old Kool-Aide drinkers anywhere you go. Go to the Glock forum. Plenty of Kool Aide drinkers over there. Kool Aide drinkers are over here too. Still more on the Sig, Beretta and 1911 forums. No one wants to admit they don't own the perfect gun for everyone. But what they don't realize is that they own the perfect gun for them.

I on the other hand AM willing to point out that Glocks (like other pistols) DO have flaws (plastic sights, too slick finish, unsupported chambers on the .40s etc.). Is the Glock a perfect gun for every one? No. Is is the perfect gun for me? Yes. Am I willing to point out the flaws in every gun so that a first time buyer can make an informed choice? Yes. Most magazines don't even do this. Face facts kiddos, gun magazines are driven by advertizing dollars. They don't get money for ads if they bad mouth a gun. The shining example of a gun magazine that DOESN'T have an ad oriented agenda is GUN TESTS.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
74 Posts
masterofg3 said:
It just seems a bit redundant to have a loaded chamber indicator AND a cocked firing pin indicator? Where's the time to release the trigger indicator and proper sight alignment indicator? Lets face it, if the operator needs this much help, perhaps he should consider darts or backgammon. :lol:
You lost me here with,...Where is the time to release the trigger indicator and proper sight alignment indicator?....Huh?

I've been shooting for over 40 years, and I've seen all kinds of things, especially people carrying weapons that are cocked and have no round in the chamber. I've seen people drop the mag, rack the slide and take the loaded round out, return the previously chambered round to the mag, and then reinsert the mag...don't believe crap like that doesn't happen, you would be amazed, even with our Highly trained Police officers,LOL.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
74 Posts
hal.9000 said:
SonnyD said:

Regards Sonny
Sonny,

I never really thought that field stripping a gun down in the heat of combat would be something I would need to do, with gloves on no less. I'll be the first to admit it isn't easy to get to as the XD, but it's made that way for a reason, so that it doesn't get hung up on a draw. besides, there are many companies making extended takedown lever for the Glocks if you ever feel the need.

You have a valid point about the cost, but what do you lose for that more than $100. A virtually indestructable non rusting finish. Sure you can get the slide in stainless, but what about the internal parts? Are they stainless too? Hmmm? It also seems that the newer Glocks have a smoother finish on the slide. Teflon, perhaps? Anyway, it is a pain in the butt to try and rack the slide with wet or oily fingers.

One thing I forgot to mention is the standard sights. What else can I say but they suck on the Glock. Here is one area I feel they let us down on. The plastic sights, while far from being flimsy, just don't match up to the higher profile steel ones on the XD. Don't even get me started with night sights. The newer Glocks come with the front sight staked in (much like the 1911). I much prefered the old screw types.

As far as a cocking indcator is concerned, you can tell if the gun is partially cocked by the trigger. If it is all the way back, it's uncocked. If it's forward, it's partially cocked. Yes, you can feel the difference with gloves on.

The loaded chamber indcator is indeed functional. It is a nice sized protrusion of the extractor that you can feel with either hand. Sure it doesn't protrude as much as the XD, but it won't get the gun hung up on a draw or reholsering either. I can't speak for it when using gloves.

As for holsters being plentiful, perhaps you can reccomend a level II leather duty holster for a XD-9 Tactical. You see my department is going to the XD9-401s and I would rather have my own leather holster instead of the state issued Uncle Mike's crap.
Hal......well, I'll admit the take down lever being hard to release might be a wash, but I have had to strip a gun down before fairly quickly under stress....and the easier the better. I don't think the SIG style take down on the XD will snag on anything, I've never had a complaint with any of my SIG's or read anyone else having a problem.

I'm one that hasn't had a slide finish problem and I not particularly anal about it....I will however give the Glock an edge in finish on the slide...Internals, that's a dead heat, I havn't seen anything inside a Glock that's any better.

Yes, you can tell if a Glock is Loaded and Cocked, as I mentioned in my post....I was talking in a more, how should I say Stressfull situation. Lot's of firearms end up on nightstands, and Lot's and Lot's of people buy Glocks, because as I hear it everyday "Isn't that what the Police use?" Most of these people should not be buying a Glock, especially for a nightstand guy, it will probably get them killed. You and I can pick up a Glock and tell immediately if it's Ready to go....but lot's of people can't. I don't think you should be feeling around the trigger in the middle of the night when someone has just broken into your house, and the adrenilin is pumping and the shakes start, and you start feeling around for the trigger, If you get my drift.

As far as level II holsters, I don't know, that's something I havn't checked on, most of my holsters are regular, IWB type, mostly Galco and Don Hume. I would imagine with the PD's going to the XD line, there are some out there, I wouldn't be surprised if Milt Sparks or Galco doesn't make one for it.
Regards Sonny

1 - 20 of 28 Posts