Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at these two guns and have only limited experience shooting. Would be interested in knowing what you all thought were the pros and cons of each. (I understand I am going to get some obvious bias based on the site) I like the way that both guns felt in my hand but just wanted to see if I could find anyone with experience with both. Thanks for any info you can offer.

izzybti

·
Registered
813 Posts
Two very different guns, and both are very very good weapons. Beretta is a DA/SA with manual safety. The first pull of the trigger is a long heavy double action pull with the followups short single action pulls. Takes a little getting used to, but not too bad.

XD is a single action so each pull of the trigger is short and lighter and it's the same for each shot.

Best thing that we tell everyone who asks about comparisons is find a range that rents both and try them out. Pick the one that you like and is the most comfortable for you. You can't go wrong with either model.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I find the Beretta grips a bit too wide for my tastes. The XD has excellent ergonomics. Also the Beretta DA trigger is really nasty. I have seen/felt worse, but not many. Recently I had the chance to meet up with a nice gentleman in federal employ at my local range. He was using a Beretta 92 that was his issued weapon. I let him try my XD-9 and he fell in love instantly. Said that the trigger was much crisper and that the trigger also reset sooner then the Beretta. Wonders why the US Govt. won't issue the XD vs the Beretta 92. He was quite happy with the accuracy too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I own a 92fs and an xd 40 (not the 9 but still relivant). both very nice guns and like Verm said, they're two very different guns. The grip on the 92 is very unconfortable for me though. feels like its better suited to larger hands. I think the XD is a little funner to shoot. As someone new to shooting I think the berreta might be a better gun for today but as soon as you get a little experience shooting you're going to wish you had the XD. My berreta hasn't seen the light of day in nearly 6 months but in the last month I've put well over 1000 rounds through my XD, so its obvious which is my favorite. I'd rent them both and put at least 50 rounds through each to see which one you like more.

also is this for carry, home defense, range shooting? if this is going to be a carry gun I would definately go with the XD. (the 92 is a big pain in the butt to conceal..)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Beretta's have a fatal flaw, they break locking blocks. I had a 92FS and it shot very well for me. When I started hearing about the Military having problems with slide retention, and seeing 2 lock-up due to breakage I sold mine. I have never regretted it. I think the Beretta has 76 parts. I now have an XD-9 Service and an XD-40 Tactical, they are keepers.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My son (Sarge) made the switch from a 96 to an XD9, and has never looked back. I am not so easily convinced.

Overall, I appreciate the Beretta's excellent craftsmanship, and the gun feels really good in my hands. ALL the Beretta 9's that have passed through my hands have been accurate; a 92G Centurion that I packed for awhile was "scary accurate", even at 50 yards. I have yet to see an XD that could touch it. Mine digested thousand of rounds 9mm ammo of all descriptions with no malfs whatsoever. This included a substantial amount of Federal +P+ 115 JHP. I watched the locking block and internals for wear/breakage, and saw none.

Those wishing to try the Beretta would do well to try the "G" models, which employ a decocker where the safety would normally be. This allows one to concentrate on grip/trigger/sights while executing fast presentations from the holster. The target below was an 84-round department qualification fired in such a manner, and 18 rounds were fired in near-dark conditions. Gun was the aforementioned 92G Centurion, which wore night sights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
f4tweet said:
Beretta's have a fatal flaw, they break locking blocks. I had a 92FS and it shot very well for me.
Ditto. In 10,000 rounds, I've had two locking blocks fail; one broke in a manner that made disassembly nearly impossible.

I only have 800 or so rounds through the XD, so it could have a similar shortcoming of which I am unaware.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for all of that good information... I was really leaning towards the XD anyways but that was some convincing testimony. I really did like the way that the XD felt in my hand. I would like to get some time with the guns so I may try to track them down. I know I can get my hands on an XD but I may have to work on finding a place to try the Beretta. (unless anyone knows a place in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area that rents these) Thanks again for your help

izzybti

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I used to own a Beretta 92F...heres my reasons to never own another:

First, its big and chunky overall for a 9mm pistol. Bigger than it has to be. The grip is huge, too. Put a 92 Beretta in your hand, then try a Hi-Power or CZ-75...see/feel the difference? Not so chunky, eh?

Second, the safety is waaay up there on the slide, not down on the frame, where it is easy to reach. Also, the trigger pull is loooong.

I got rid of my Beretta and traded for a Belgian Hi-Power and would NEVER trade back. The Hi-Power has a better trigger, is more accurate, just as reliable and is slimmer and easier to conceal/carry. It also has a steel frame and I don't know of a case where the slide blew off and hurt anyone as the isolated cases with the Beretta. The Israleis used HPs for their sidearms for years and ran the very hot 9mm IMI made Uzi rounds through the things and I have not heard of any of them giving out. The British and Canadians in Iraq right now are carrying Hi-Powers and from what I have read, they're pretty pleased with the pistols. The Canadians have carried the HP since WWII! More countries around the world have used the Hi-Power as a military/police sidearm than the Beretta 92...check it out.

The Hi-Power is not cheap, so it might be out of your price range. It can also be had in 40 caliber as well.

Sorry, but I think there are MUCH better choices than the 92 Berettas. I also own a 40 caliber XD (love it) and yes, if I had to choose a 9mm under 400 bucks, I'd go with an XD-9 or CZ-75 LONG before I bought a Beretta 92.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've found that I like the 92 Brigadier better than the regular 92, and that I really like the 92 Vertec (fits way better in my hand) over both. However, that being said, I wouldn't trade my XD for all three for the above mentioned reasons and price.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It also has a steel frame and I don't know of a case where the slide blew off and hurt anyone as the isolated cases with the Beretta.
pretty sure this was only an issue with the early production 92F and was fixed for the 92FS. I don't think I've ever even seen a 92F (but back when they were in production I was too young to shoot..)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Before my XD-40 I carried a Beretta 92FS for 11 years. For a carry weapon the XD is lighter, shorter and a more powerful round.... That was the reason for the switch.

Over those 11 year the beretta has proven to be very reliable and extremely accurate. With the exception of my Colt 1911 the beretta is my second most accurate firearm (about tied with my S&W 66). My XD is a sweet weapon but if I had to take a head shot at someone holding a loved one as a hostage (say within 55 feet or so), I'd take my Beretta over my XD any day of the week. I also happen to think the berreta is the most aesthetically pleasing guns around.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I carried and shot a Beretta through my military years and its a very nice pistol but they are right, its grip is awkward for a person with a small to medium size hand. Ive always wanted to buy one just because it was my military sidearm but Ive yet to do so. I love my XD and would not trade it for a Beretta for anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
XD is the better gun hands down! My question is what isn't better about the XD than the Beretta? Safety, who needs them? Something else to have to worry about in a gun fight!!! Only 3 guns you should consider buying IMHO, Sig Sauer, Glock, & XD! I love all 3!!! But I love the ergonomics of the XD best of all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MADE MY PURCHASE!! I bought an XD 9 sevice model tonight. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for all your help and anything else I should know before I get all ready to go would be greatly appriciated.

izzybti

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Congrats on the XD, your gonna love it!

·
Registered
813 Posts
yes, bookmark the websites of the sponsors to this forum. You will find all kinds of goodies and upgrades available at great prices :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts