Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here have experience with them? Did a search and nothing turned up.

I am a 1911 guy and am fairly new in the XD world. I own and carry a XD40 Service Bi-Tone daily now...

I am basically looking to build a 9mm competition gun. (want to start shooting some competitions and don't want to go the 1911 route) I like the tactical models due to the 5" barrel but rather the 4" model for its balance. I was thinking that I could get the 4" ported model and that muzzle flip would be reduced to a minimum...

How does the muzzle flip compare with the non ported versus the ported XD 9's?

Would I just be better off with the 5" non ported?

Any problems with the "V10" XD's that I should know of?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly the type of thing I was looking for!

Thanks for that tip...

Found a few links on google that talk about the cracked frames on the V10's...

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
The new XDM 9mm barrel is 4.5", so that would be a good compromise between the 4" and 5". You would also have something like 19 rounds in each mag, along with a match grade barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new XDM 9mm barrel is 4.5", so that would be a good compromise between the 4" and 5". You would also have something like 19 rounds in each mag, along with a match grade barrel.

I did not know that...

I may have to check out the new XDm 9 when my local shop gets their first shipment.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The cracking slides on XD V10's are a thing of the past. Even so... SA replaced them under warranty.

The 9mm won't be a noticeable difference, but in the 40 it is a HUGE difference. I own, and shoot often, my XD40 V10 and it is one of the best shooters I own... I love it.

So if you want a V10 and want it to be effective, get the 40. If you only want 9mm, don't bother with the V10 as it won't make a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Did you take those photos in a light box with a black background?

Also, what kind of SRT8?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bandit, thanks for the tips. I think I am going to stick with the 9mm as I already own a 40 and this will be a game gun. I love the slide on yours. I was thinking about red though...

thanks for all the tips so far guys.

I am now thinking 9mm, service model, send it to springer precision and get a match barrel and their compensator put on it. Sooner or later I will add optics (When the proper mounting hardware comes out) so the shorter sight radius won't matter.

I want the compensator and I think that the 5 inch tactical model would be to front heavy and unbalanced with the comp on the front.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bandit, thanks for the tips. I think I am going to stick with the 9mm as I already own a 40 and this will be a game gun. I love the slide on yours. I was thinking about red though...

thanks for all the tips so far guys.

I am now thinking 9mm, service model, send it to springer precision and get a match barrel and their compensator put on it. Sooner or later I will add optics (When the proper mounting hardware comes out) so the shorter sight radius won't matter.

I want the compensator and I think that the 5 inch tactical model would be to front heavy and unbalanced with the comp on the front.
No problem, just trying to help.

By the way, I wasn't saying that just the V10 style of porting was useless on a 9mm, I mean any and all porting on a 9mm is mostly useless.

I had a LOT more porting done on this Glock, and there is virtually zero difference between it and my 'stock' TALO G19. Shooting side by side, the difference is negligible.

In 9mm, porting is a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'd show you some more, but they aren't XD-related and I don't want any mods beating me up for posting non-XD gun pics. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem, just trying to help.

By the way, I wasn't saying that just the V10 style of porting was useless on a 9mm, I mean any and all porting on a 9mm is mostly useless.

I had a LOT more porting done on this Glock, and there is virtually zero difference between it and my 'stock' TALO G19. Shooting side by side, the difference is negligible.

In 9mm, porting is a waste of money.
That is one heck of a tip. That will save me a bunch of money.

Can you answer one more question? Is there a big difference in muzzle flip between the service model 9's and the tactical model 9's?

I ask this because I am not worried about sight radius. I am just wondering about recoil control for fast follow ups. (I am used to shooting small competitions with 9mm chambered 1911's) The weight and balance of the XD platform is new to me. Fast follow ups are my main concern since I am switching platforms.

Also do you know if it would be beneficial to get the match barrel cut to 5 inches or get it cut flush with the muzzle. I know that the extra inch of barrel would add some velocity and I know that the extra velocity would be slight at best but would the extra inch do anything for accuracy or would it just be as you say "negligible"?

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Some shooters do prefer the Tactical, and feel that they get faster follow ups with it. I personally don't notice a difference. For me the Service just feels better (more balanced) in my hand. Whatever model you choose, get a solid guide rod and then you can experiment with spring weights to determine what works best for you. That can obviously help your follow ups as well.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some shooters do prefer the Tactical, and feel that they get faster follow ups with it. I personally don't notice a difference. For me the Service just feels better (more balanced) in my hand. Whatever model you choose, get a solid guide rod and then you can experiment with spring weights to determine what works best for you. That can obviously help your follow ups as well.

I like the idea of the solid rod so I can change spring rates.

I think I will eventually go with the service model 9. I think I would rather have a comfortable gun in the hand and just learn to control the slight muzzle flip.

I appreciate all of the tips guys... You have been a great help.

More tips are still appreciated... :D

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so now I have done a bit of looking around and some research. Here is what I have come up with.

XD9 Service.
Send it to Springer Precision.

Combat/Carry Trigger Job 4#.
Smooth Trigger Safety.
+.1 Mag Release
Pistol Gear Match Barrel (Cut and Crowned)
Dawson Precision Fixed Sights (POA 115gr)
Don's Solid Guide Rod and some assorted springs.
Slide refinish... in RED... like cherry red. Why? Because.

Then spend the rest on ammo... and shoot the crap out of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can't help you on the comparison betwen a service and tactical because I don't own, nor have I shot a tactical. Soi my apologies.

Sounds like in your last post you have a good game plan! Enjoy the toy.
I'm excited to see how red Ceracoat looks.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't help you on the comparison betwen a service and tactical because I don't own, nor have I shot a tactical. Soi my apologies.

Sounds like in your last post you have a good game plan! Enjoy the toy.
I'm excited to see how red Ceracoat looks.
Ok, this is my dilemma... I am most likely going to get Springer Precision to do the internal work. What finishes do they offer? I only see IonBond (Diamondblack) and Hardchrome.

I was looking at KG Gun Kote as the finish. Canyon Creek will do the KG Gun Kote...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine went to Canyon Creek for the blue finish. I was not 100% satisfied, but I'm not about to go another 6-8 weeks without my gun to redo it (yes, it did take that long).

In the future I would go back to Bob Cogan with Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Accurate set the standard for gun finishing decades ago, and they continue to excel to this day. Bob is also who did the work on my G19 pictured on the previous page.

The process he uses is called CeraGuard and for all intents and purposes is equal to the Gun Kote (or at least similar in execution). He can do any color in the rainbow for the slide, frame, and all other parts.

http://www.apwcogan.com/Greetings.htm

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine went to Canyon Creek for the blue finish. I was not 100% satisfied, but I'm not about to go another 6-8 weeks without my gun to redo it (yes, it did take that long).

In the future I would go back to Bob Cogan with Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Accurate set the standard for gun finishing decades ago, and they continue to excel to this day. Bob is also who did the work on my G19 pictured on the previous page.

The process he uses is called CeraGuard and for all intents and purposes is equal to the Gun Kote (or at least similar in execution). He can do any color in the rainbow for the slide, frame, and all other parts.

http://www.apwcogan.com/Greetings.htm
You inadvertently just became my best friend. I know for a fact that you have saved me a bunch of time in research and money spent on upgrades that I did not want. I truly appreciate all of your help. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts