Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Today's posting is for two range visits (yesterday being #4 and today being #5). Yes, yesterday's shooting was so bad I had to go back again today.

Normally I shoot plain Winchester 115 gr. FMJ at a standard 25 yd target. However, the local gun shop was out of it so I had to use something else. Sticking with a FMJ, all they had was the mega pack of Remington 115gr. Yesterday, I felt something wasn't right about the stuff. All of my shots were falling lower than any time previous. The only difference was the ammunition used. Still, I thought it may have been me...perhaps I was flinching or rushing through my shots. I don't know. 125 rounds were fired and nothing seemed to be grouping right. I called it quits.

Day 5- Not feeling too good about Day #4's performance, I decided to go again. I still had 125 rds of the Remington, 100 rds of my Winchester and 50 rds of Wolf. Today, proved that it wasn't only me that was failing to perform. The Remington must have been a bad batch or something. My first 4 magazines (all Springfield OEM mags) each had 1-2 failure to ejects. In addition, the slide wouldn't stay open upon last round ejection. I thought something was failing internally, but I decided to try 10 rds of the Winchester. It performed flawlessly. No hang ups and the slide stayed open upon last round ejection. Ok, so I then put another mag of Remington in and that's when I noticed the problem. The recoil was significantly less. The Remington was under powered. It didn't generate enough recoil to eject the spent cartridges or slam the slide back into an open position.

SO next up was the Wolf. I shot all 50 rds of the Wolf without any hangups. It produced a felt recoil equal to that of the Winchester. The problem was the Remington. It was just too underpowered.

I know each gun is different and prefers it's own ammunition, but this is just something to pass around to you guys.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Interesting, because of the 8 different loads I have tried, the 115g Remington UMC is the one I've shot the most so far (338 rounds) and I have not had any problems with it. Actually haven't had problems with anything so far. I've specifically chosen this round for USPSA competition because it does seem to have a little less felt recoil than other rounds.

As you've said though, each gun seems to have a mind of its' own.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Some guns just don't do well with some ammo. When you find one that works you should just stick with it, that's the nice thing about reloading you always know what you are shooting.
Some ammo can change from lot to lot, which realy dosen't effect pistols as much as rifles, I have seen rifle shooters, that when they find a lot that works, they will buy as many cases as they can find of the same lot number.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts