Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my XD-9 as either a late birthday (or early Christmas) present for myself. I spent almost 9 months shooting every 9mm I could borrow or rent before deciding on this one.

I had been looking for the 5" version for about 8 weeks, even calling Springfield customer service (in October) to find out why no gun shop in San Diego (or Socal) could get the Tactical. The nice lady on the phone said that they had expected the 3" to be "insanely popular" and had dedicated most production runs to this version. She checked and said the next big 5" run would in one run more than quadruple the number of Tacticals in the field.

Sure enough, about 4 weeks later I was at the local range when a Marine was asking about the 5". I expected him to be told "haven't seen any, yet". Not this time! They had received a shipment of 3 (2 9's, one .40) about 2 hours before. He bought a 9, I bought one, and another customer overheard the conversation and bought the .40! Three sales in 5 minutes, and then they were out of stock again.

Since then, I've been to the range(s) about once every 7-10 days, and put 800 (at least) rounds thought it.

I've had THREE malfunctions, and all were my fault (really bad limp wristing after 100-150 rounds, I have carpal tunnel and nerve damage in my wrists). Other than that, flawless.

The sights were dead-on, the finish is great. and the "feel" is fantastic. I'm a "new shooter" again after 10 years away, and I'm getting great groups even when shooting "triples".

I was going to buy another gun this month, but, "why bother"? This one is great, and I can spend quite a bit of time learing to shoot again, until I'm up to actually shooting up to the quality of this pistol.

I'll be recommending to my Dad (retired Marine DI) that he chuck his 1911s and get one of these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, if they go anywhere, it'll be into my safe :)

By the way, on Saturday I finished the last of 1250 rounds in this pistol. No new FTFs or FTEs or problems of any kind beyond what I posted above.

Gun show is next week, fortunately, so more bulk 9mm....

By the way, here's a recent target. Fifty rounds, "Mozambique drill" (double taps to COM + head shot), as fast as I could change 5 magazines. Barrel got a little toasty at the end...

target image (800K)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I should keep all my range reports together to keep from messing
up other peoples' reports...

As of last week, I'm up to about 1500 rounds, at least. The last malf of any kind was back at about 400 rounds when a friend was shooting. Once he stopped limp wristing, no more FTEs.

This is almost all Miwall factory reloads from the gun show.

And this is getting some attention from my LE friends. Their service pistols aren't doing this well with factory new ammo.

One more reason to feel safe carrying an XD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last week, I had my first "real" FTE. At this point I've got about 2000 rounds through the XD, and I had ONE FTE. It was at the end of a 300 round session, so it could have been limp-wristing.

I love this pistol, and I'm thinking of getting it a friend.

There's this Walther 9mm P99 (OD Green, "silver slide") that is calling me....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The XD is now up to almost 3000 rounds, and the ONLY issues are that it does not tolerate "limp wristing". Period. Full Stop.

But I did finally buy it a friend. There was this Walther P99 in OD green that needed a home.

These are sooo different. The two-stage trigger on the Walther takes some getting used to, and having a decocker requires some different habits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
socal xd'er said:
The XD is now up to almost 3000 rounds, and the ONLY issues are that it does not tolerate "limp wristing". Period. Full Stop.

But I did finally buy it a friend. There was this Walther P99 in OD green that needed a home.

These are sooo different. The two-stage trigger on the Walther takes some getting used to, and having a decocker requires some different habits.
Thats great that your XD is working well for you. May it bring you years of happiness....

Quick question: What exactly is "limp wrist" and what does it cause the gun to do? :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BullsEye said:
socal xd'er said:
The XD is now up to almost 3000 rounds, and the ONLY issues are that it does not tolerate "limp wristing". Period. Full Stop.

But I did finally buy it a friend. There was this Walther P99 in OD green that needed a home.

These are sooo different. The two-stage trigger on the Walther takes some getting used to, and having a decocker requires some different habits.
Thats great that your XD is working well for you. May it bring you years of happiness....

Quick question: What exactly is "limp wrist" and what does it cause the gun to do? :?
If your wrists and arms aren't locked and solid, you'll absorb some of the recoil, which is needed by the pistol to run the action.

"Limp wristing" is the only way I've found to make the XD fail to eject or otherwise fail to function.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
socal xd'er said:
BullsEye said:
socal xd'er said:
The XD is now up to almost 3000 rounds, and the ONLY issues are that it does not tolerate "limp wristing". Period. Full Stop.

But I did finally buy it a friend. There was this Walther P99 in OD green that needed a home.

These are sooo different. The two-stage trigger on the Walther takes some getting used to, and having a decocker requires some different habits.
Thats great that your XD is working well for you. May it bring you years of happiness....

Quick question: What exactly is "limp wrist" and what does it cause the gun to do? :?
If your wrists and arms aren't locked and solid, you'll absorb some of the recoil, which is needed by the pistol to run the action.

"Limp wristing" is the only way I've found to make the XD fail to eject or otherwise fail to function.
Thanks for the definition :D
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top