Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant decide between the xd-9 tactical 5" or the standard 4". I want a good IDPA and home defense gun. Does anyone own the 5"? Can you tell me how it compares to the 4"? I don't plan to Conceal carry this gun.

Does anyone own/shoot the 5"?

·
Registered
580 Posts
i do not own the 5 inch model.

however, i believe the primary difference is the guide rod and spring portion. also...the slide's longer. ;-)

otherwise, i'm guessing they're nearly identical.

i won't comment on the competition portion of your question since i don't compete, and have no knowledge to offer.

although on the home defense issue...i've been told that if money isn't a big issue, go big. since you intend to perform double duty with yours, you might still get away with the 5inch model. that's MY suggestion.

:-D good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an XD9 4" and an XD40 5" and like the 4" version of the XD better. It is not such a huge deal that I would get rid of the gun, but the 5" version doesn't have the great balance that the 4" gun has.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have a 4" 357 sig. xd and a 5" 40cal.
the 5" is nose heavy and takes some getting use to.
it is more noticeable as the mag runs dry.
all around i like the 4" better.
the 4" is my duty gun.
i shoot combat style action events with the 5" and i am not sure it gives me any advantage.
that beening said i do love both guns, but if i could only have one it would be a 4".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 9 SC and the 40 tac. The tac is definately nose heavy, like the comments above indicated. I like it very much, but I prefer the SC. For a 5" gun, I prefer the balancing of a 1911. But I much prefer the XD styling and functions...it's a toss up. I won't be selling the tac or anything though, it's a great piece.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got both the xd-9 4" service and the xd-9 5" tactical . I shoot the tactical better (due in no small part to the 25% increase in barrel length) but I CCW the service. I'm a minority opinion in this thread, but I like the balance of the 5 inch tactical better (could be due to my extensive 1911 shooting). If it's any help, I decided on the bitone service to avoid worrying about the finish wear on the slide of the service.

I found the Glock 34 to be quite similar to the tactical and the finish is much more durable, so I plan to use the G34 for USPSA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts