Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking about getting a suppressor for my xd-9 subcompact.
I live in Norway, so supressors are fully legal 8)

My question is: Is it possible to get a threaded barrel for this gun, or do I have to buy a 4" barrel and thread it myself? Have no idea if the 4" barrel fits though...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I asked SA about getting a threaded barrel for my XD9SC. And asked them about the possibility of the 4" and what not. Their reply "4" service model barrel will not fit correctly in the sub compact models."

As far as finding one elsewhere, please let me know. Also, what kind of supressor are you looking to get? I saw a bunch of supressors, but they're all as long as the gun. I figured if I owned a concealable gun, I'd like to own a concealable supressor. I found a 3" Aurora.. but it's only for Gov sales only.

Whatever you get, PLEASE keep us all informed. Including, if possible, pictures and audio of the supressor in action at the range (as opposed to "in action" on someone).

·
Registered
782 Posts
A suppressor is not really logical for concealed carry. Obviously, for one thing the extra length will make it quite difficult. Secondly, you have to use subsonic ammunition to really get the "silenced" effect, and therefore this eliminates the most effective defensive 9mm loads. Third, there is the possible legal impact of having shot someone in a defensive situation with a suppressed handgun. A lawyer could turn you into some crazy Tactical Tommy who was looking to kill.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
dolanp said:
A suppressor is not really logical for concealed carry. Obviously, for one thing the extra length will make it quite difficult. Secondly, you have to use subsonic ammunition to really get the "silenced" effect, and therefore this eliminates the most effective defensive 9mm loads. Third, there is the possible legal impact of having shot someone in a defensive situation with a suppressed handgun. A lawyer could turn you into some crazy Tactical Tommy who was looking to kill.

Just my thoughts.
You could make a compelling argument that subsonic ammunition is ideal for self defense because it is unlikely that you will have hearing protection in a SD situation, and that having sub sonic ammo and a suppressor you are just trying to maximize your ability to defend yourself.

If they disagree submit sworn testimony from gun experts to the decibel rating of +P supersonic ammo and to the effect it has on your ears after firing a few shots w/out ear-pro.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well I'm not saying you couldn't make your case, but it's better if you don't have to make any case at all, you know?

I'd love to have a suppressor as well just for plain shooting, but the tax stamp, threaded barrel I'd have to get, and then the suppressor itself is quite a financial deterrent. Of course they designed it that way with the NFA. :x

·
Registered
119 Posts
I prefer supressed .22's.
Here's a picture of my Bersa.
Works so well you have to activate the slide by hand after each shot.
The round object is the barrel thread protector. You screw it on to protect the threads when the suppressor is not on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's probably illegal here in California, but is there anyway to find out the laws on surppressors? thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
xd.eric said:
It's probably illegal here in California, but is there anyway to find out the laws on surppressors? thanks
I'm afraid you're out of luck in the PRK. Read this FAQ if you are interested nonetheless in federal rules.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Absolut said:
SWR built my suppressor for the Bersa.
Joe is an excellent Title II manufacturer and a really great guy.
While mine is one of his older designs, his newer ones are even better then what I have.

I highly recommend Joe (SWR), or any of Doc Dater's cans. Doc is a really great guy as well. I sold *many* of his suppressed Ruger .22's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts