Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a xd 9 service with about 800 rounds through it. Went to range couple of days ago, 150 rounds fmj. Upon field stripping, cleaning, oiling and reassembly noticed a very small, sharp piece of metal sticking out the top of the slide between rear sight and loaded chamber indicator. Appears to be a half circle with the other half still in slide. Very sharp.

Dont know how or when this happened. Camera loaned out so no pics at this time.

Any thoughts? What is this and do I need to contact Springfield. I am original owner.

Tx in advance

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check tha manual for parts breakdown. Could be a pin that bbroke. My xdm has a pin that's runs vertically in the area u r talking about

·
Registered
895 Posts
the striker retaining pin cracked in half and one half is lifting out, send it in to SA or go to fastenal and get a replacement, they make an upgrade that is more solid because its a coiled roll pin.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The roll pin on one of my XDs began to work loose, and instead of replacing it with another 3X16mm slotted roll pin, I found and ordered a set these coiled spring pins from Powder River Precision, Inc.

PRP Striker retainer pins

The issue with broken or worn striker retaining pin is well documented, and after some research, it seems that a coiled spring pin is better suited than a slotted pin for retaining the striker. Below for reference is some information I could find on slotted v. coiled pins:

SPIROL Coiled Spring Pins

The price qoute from one vendor, Spirol, for a heavy duty 3X16mm stainless steel roll pin is $63.93 /1000, so that comes out to ($0.06 per pin). I am sure for a bulk order of 1000+ the price drops even more, so why doesn't HS Arms/Springfield adopt a coiled opposed to slotted pin for the striker assembly? :confused:

hopefully this shows up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tx for the great info.

Ordered the pins from Brownells, along with appropriate punch and will do the repair. Video very clear and will report when repair done.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Don't see any problem ordering the punches from Brownells, the SAE sizes will generally be close enough to work - use next size smaller. But all pins used in the XD and XSm series pistols, whether a solid pin or a spring pin are metric. An SAE sized pin will be either too loose or too large. Since the spring or roll pins are a press fit and held in place by spring tension of the coil, SAE pins wil not work properly. Brownells does sell the correct size metric roll pin from PRP, but most of their pins are SAE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the parts from Brownells. Video was very helpful.

New part was harder to install than expected. Took weapon to range and ran flawlessly.

Tx to everyone for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts