Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love my xd-9 service model- It's my first nice pistol, accurate as hell and not a problem whatsoever when it comes to handling the recoil(as I'm sure is a given to most of you)- but I'm looking into getting a .45, and I'm just wondering what pistols, even other than xd's would be the best as far as having managable recoil...Keep in mind I'm not a big guy, about 140 lbs with average to smaller size hands-so would a .45 be a giant leap from my service model 9, or what? Any advice would help! Thanks- P.S.- also wondering about getting an AR, so I guess I'm wondering the same about .223??? Thanks-

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I absolutely love my xd-9 service model- It's my first nice pistol, accurate as hell and not a problem whatsoever when it comes to handling the recoil(as I'm sure is a given to most of you)- but I'm looking into getting a .45, and I'm just wondering what pistols, even other than xd's would be the best as far as having managable recoil...Keep in mind I'm not a big guy, about 140 lbs with average to smaller size hands-so would a .45 be a giant leap from my service model 9, or what? Any advice would help! Thanks- P.S.- also wondering about getting an AR, so I guess I'm wondering the same about .223??? Thanks-
Welcome to the forum from Missouri.

Don't fear either the 45ACP nor the AR in 223. The kick of a 45 is largely hype, many many many frail gentile tiny wimminz shoot 45s with no probs, you can too.

Those of us with ARs can only chuckle about your worries about THAT guns recoil, they ARE called "poodle shooters" for a reason ;) . The AR in particular was specifically designed to have very little noticeable recoil with it's long buffer boltcarrier excursion and straight line barrel-receiver-buttstock. My Brother-in-law recalls his Viet Nam orientation to the M-16 where the instructor fired a full auto burst while resting the butt of the gun on his "sack" lol
It's understandable to be leary, and if you were asking about a 10mm pistol or a .308 rifle my response would be different.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
As Kaboom stated, do not fear the 45ACP.:rolleyes:

The 45ACP has less felt recoil than the 40cal round, IMHO.
The 40 is snappy with muzzle flip (up).
The 45 is more of a push back and very controllable.

The only reason I sold my XD45 compact was that is was too expensive to feed.;-)

·
Registered
140 Posts
As has been said before.. .45ACP has very manageable recoil. It is more than 9mm, but not much more. An XD in .45 will be totally manageable- or if you want a new disease, get a 1911.

The only thing I notice in switching between my HK USP in .45ACP and my XD in 9mm (other than the trigger) is I tend to fire faster on the 9mm because i am back on target faster.

Shooting Glock 22s and 35s (in .40S&W) I find the recoil is way more snappy and it takes me longer than either the .45 or the 9mm to get back on target.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I didn't know if I'd be able to shoot it accurately! Well, a para warthog is about as small as a .45 gets, and I could hit what I was shooting at. It wasn't a lot worse than a 9mm, but definitely not the same either. I suggest you try a .45 first though, before you jump in. I like my 4" XD compact .45 a LOT!!! :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Here's a video of a 9 year old shooting a XD45. Can't say much for their safety pactices with the camera operator walking ahead of the muzzle, but you can see it's not a bad recoil.

YouTube - 9 yo + Springfeld XD 45

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
yea i saw that video awhile ago and I think that guy is a moron for getting in front of the barrel like that. Sets a horrible example of gun safety for the kid! If i ever did that shooting at my house, my dad would totally whoop my ass!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for your help- I've been looking everywhere for a somewhat affortable AR being sold with a payment plan of some sort... needless to say my search has been fruitless- all I'm looking for is something like a bushmaster M4 type (around $1000/give or take) with a payment plan that would let me pay over up to maybe 6 months or so- does anyone know of such a site???? if not- I have a local dealer who's offering a new bushmaster m4 for $1100, which I'll try to haggle with him but I'll have to trade my xd-9 for the deal- is this a good idea or do still have time to get an AR without having to get rid of my xd? Thanks for your all's help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did anyone notice the kid didn't appear to have ANY hearing protection? The eye protection looked a little lax as well.

Sorry the safety guy coming out again...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you read some of the comments below, he states that the kid was wearing small ear bud style plugs. He also said he has started having him wear eye protection now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts