Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been looking at buying a 3" xd-9 for my wife to carry. After reading a lot of posts here on this sight I have some reservations. Why are there so many ftf and fte with these guns? I realize that sa will fix the problems but they shouldn't have to. I would think that a gun that has been around this long should have the problems worked out of it. Is this a case of mostly hearing about the bad ones or do I have a good chance of getting a bad gun?
My wife's current gun is a S&W 6906 that we have had for about 5 years. In that time I've had only one ftf and that round would not feed in my friends kahr so I would have to blame the round for that one.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have never had a single malfunction in my XDsub9 and my wife has only had one in her XD9 Service. I think the people that have problems really represent a very small percentage of XD owners. Several people I shoot USPSA with shoot XD's or own them and have had no problems what-so-ever. If you like the gun, go ahead and buy it and I think you will be happy with your purchase. Remember, every manufacture of anything is going to let a few bad apples slip though.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
sparky69 welcome to the HS/XD funhouse. The 6906 is a fine handgun. I have a 6906 and a 915. The only thing I don't like is the small rear sight on them. The only thing you will gain (or lose) is an inch in barrel length. The grip on the XD is a tad smaller than the 6906, but if she is doing ok with it, no need to change. The plus on the 6906 is the de-cocker.
As far as FTFs, all will have them. I think most of the time it is operator induced limp wristing or thumb rubbing the slide. Some have had rough feed ramps on the barrel, and some have been cause by the mag follower needing some minor tuning. These things are apparent in most guns, some being finicky in one way or another. I have 1911s that won't use the same mags.
While these are traits that are undesirable, they are not indicative of bad manufacturing, rather the result of machining metals and molding plastics.
If she likes the XD SC, buy one in confidence and run a bunch of rounds through it and find out the bugs. Lots of experience with the HS & XD on this forum and folks are readily willing to assist.
Maybe ajamesp51 will break out a pic of his "special tool" for working on the XD.

Happy shooting! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. R Dub you are right about the grip on the 6906. That is the reason we are looking for a new gun. While the 6906 fits me great, the grip is a little too thick for my wife's hands. She shoots it ok put she isn't completely comfortable with it. We were out trying on pistols for size saturday and she has it narrowed to the xd and a taurus pt111.

thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
as long as you're using a firm grip, i don't think you'll encounter nearly a chance of having a ftf with the 9mm as you would with the .40. but that's just my opinion.

dean
cincinnati
xd40service
xd9sc

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine run great. Many rounds fired and no problems. I love my XD's and am going to buy another one soon. You will love it. feed it good ammo and you will not have a problem. I did have one problem with some reloads a friend of mine loaded. they were way underpowered and would not cycle the XD. I have shot thousands of rounds in my XD's and 98% were my reloads and no problems

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I've had my XD-9 sc for 830 rnds. Only 1 FTF (due to a mangled casing straight from the box) and 0 FTE. I plan on carrying it concealed once I get my permit. I believe the XD-9 subbie to be VERY reliable and well-made. I have no complaints about it.

My girlfriend likes my gun so much, I got her one of her own and will be giving it to her this Friday for an early birthday present. She's a very good shot with my gun (2" groupings on a good day, centered in the bull's-eye), much better than I am. I think your wife will really enjoy it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have run about 1500 rounds through my SC with zero FTF, FTE. WWB, Wolf, Federal Hydrashocks, Speer Gold Dots... The SC has fed all of them with zero problems.

I feel the XD is a very reliable pistol, on par with the Glock or Sig for dependability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input everyone. I went to the local gunshop today. They want $465 for a bitone 9mm sc. As soon as I sell her S&W I'll pick up a XD

·
Registered
74 Posts
sparky69 said:
After reading a lot of posts here on this sight I have some reservations. Why are there so many ftf and fte with these guns?
Glad to hear you getting a XD. You will love it.

Something to think about is not everyone is going to come to a forum just to say what a wonderful gun they have... A lot of post are problems because people are seeking help with them.

My XD 9 Service has about 1,000 rounds done the pipe I've had it about 5 months. No problems at all... Not one! I use WWB for target and Federal Premiums JHP for Carry. Both work flawlessly! Oh and I have no rust problems. I have wear on the gun because I use it, but no rust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mst3kguy said:
as long as you're using a firm grip, i don't think you'll encounter nearly a chance of having a ftf with the 9mm as you would with the .40. but that's just my opinion.

dean
cincinnati
xd40service
xd9sc
Funny, in 500+ rounds I have never had a fail to anything with my XD SC-40 since day one but my experience with firearms has always been that the more powerful rounds like the .40 are less likely to fail to eject.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine has been perfectly reliable so far, and I've put a ton of ammo through it. Don't worry, you'll love the XD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts