Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First time poster here. Got an XD 9 for my GF this Christmas. She has a wrist problem, so we elected to get the ported model to minimize recoil.

On our first outing, she had problems with it jamming. My first thought was that she was limp-wristing it. However, I'm a big guy with no wrist problems, and I have shot heavy caliber semi-autos in the past with no problems, and it seems to do it for me as well. It was also not locking the slide back on last round.

We tried some +P rounds next, and not a single one of them jammed.

When we went back to regular 9mm, the jamming (stovepipes on ejection) resumed.

It occurs to me that both the stovepiping and the failure to lock open are symptoms of the action not cycling fully. I'm guessing that the recoil spring may be too strong for standard 9mm rounds to cycle the action fully. Does anyone know if Springfield put heavy-duty springs in the ported models? I guess it's possible that they might figure that the only person who would want a PORTED 9mm is if they intended to shoot +p or +P+ ammo, and thus they figured a heavy duty spring was needed? We both love this gun. I think a lighter recoil spring might make it work right. Wolf only makes regular and heavy recoil springs - no lighter ones. What to do?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

·
Registered
533 Posts
what brand of ammo was jamming? was it a single brand or did you try different brands and all regular ammo jammed???

I have heard some people on here say there is a break in peroid, try to keep shooting and see if it gets better,

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
sometimes you need to shoot heavier/hotter loads for the first couple hundred rounds to work a gun in. Try using some UMC 147 gr loads for 300 rds or so then see what happens when you switch back to std. light target loads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all,

First time poster here. Got an XD 9 for my GF this Christmas. She has a wrist problem, so we elected to get the ported model to minimize recoil.

On our first outing, she had problems with it jamming. My first thought was that she was limp-wristing it. However, I'm a big guy with no wrist problems, and I have shot heavy caliber semi-autos in the past with no problems, and it seems to do it for me as well. It was also not locking the slide back on last round.

We tried some +P rounds next, and not a single one of them jammed.

When we went back to regular 9mm, the jamming (stovepipes on ejection) resumed.

It occurs to me that both the stovepiping and the failure to lock open are symptoms of the action not cycling fully. I'm guessing that the recoil spring may be too strong for standard 9mm rounds to cycle the action fully. Does anyone know if Springfield put heavy-duty springs in the ported models? I guess it's possible that they might figure that the only person who would want a PORTED 9mm is if they intended to shoot +p or +P+ ammo, and thus they figured a heavy duty spring was needed? We both love this gun. I think a lighter recoil spring might make it work right. Wolf only makes regular and heavy recoil springs - no lighter ones. What to do?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brad
bruss01,

Any updates on this ported Springfield? Did a different weight spring fix the jamming?

·
Registered
954 Posts
My SIL bought a ported Glock 17L and had the same issue with Perfecta factory ammo - not sure what else he tried. When we ran some reloads which were towards the top of the standard pressure for 9mm he had no issues. My theory is that because you are releasing some of the gas pressure through the ports you don't have as much energy to operate the slide meaning that you either need to bump up the pressure generated (within safe levels of course) or need a lighter recoil spring.
While the recoil spring does act against the recoil impulse its main job is not to soften the felt recoil but to strip and feed the next round and close the action in preparation for the next shot. The recoil spring does slow down the reward travel of the slide and should be strong enough to prevent the slide from slamming back - but I am not sure if you would feel the difference in recoil between say an 18 pound spring vs a 20 pound spring. On the other hand if you are running an 18 pound spring and not getting a full cycle with standard pressure rounds but a +P round with 15-20% more pressure works then it would seem that you need to lighten the spring - but it may not be a linear relationship - so 15-20% lighter spring may be too much - unless you have a high speed camera and can relate a given spring pressure to the speed or total distance of travel of the slide - you only get pass/fail feedback under most circumstances - so you don't really know if the recoil spring is 5% too strong or 20% too strong. The other thing to look at is how far (or how energetically) the spent cases are ejected from the firearm - if the dribble out then you either have too little pressure or too much spring. (FYI - I am not a gunsmith - I just play one on the internet - with that caveat my opinion above is based on extensive reading and a a few years of personal experience with firearms of various sizes and calibers including ported barrels and spring changes and reloading at different pressures - but no where near as extensive experience as others on this forum might have).
Short answer - stick with +P or try a lighter spring - neither of which may result in less felt recoil than a non ported barrel with standard spring and standard pressure - since ported barrel (in my understanding) has more to do with reducing muzzle climb and getting followup shots on target more quickly than felt recoil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts