Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, I know...why is he going on a XD forum and asking for opinion on a SIG? Got it...:)

My wife LOVES shooting my XD .45c at the range. It is her favorite gun. I just sold my Walther P99QA safe queen and now want to get a 9mm for range time, classes, etc. Won't be my EDC gun.

The SIG P226/229 is a great weapon to shoot! However, comma, the additional costs for this "metal" gun are more than what I am used to paying. Plus the safety on it and the DA/SA are new to me.

Point: When looking at XD 9mms- is there enough difference that I should look at XDm versions or SC versions or just stick with a XD compact or tactical to do the job? Anyone own both SIG and XD and can chat about differences.

Heading to range to rent/fire all of these today...just wanting some opinions from peers. Thanks!

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Yeah, yeah, I know...why is he going on a XD forum and asking for opinion on a SIG? Got it...:)

My wife LOVES shooting my XD .45c at the range. It is her favorite gun. I just sold my Walther P99QA safe queen and now want to get a 9mm for range time, classes, etc. Won't be my EDC gun.

The SIG P226/229 is a great weapon to shoot! However, comma, the additional costs for this "metal" gun are more than what I am used to paying. Plus the safety on it and the DA/SA are new to me.

Point: When looking at XD 9mms- is there enough difference that I should look at XDm versions or SC versions or just stick with a XD compact or tactical to do the job? Anyone own both SIG and XD and can chat about differences.

Heading to range to rent/fire all of these today...just wanting some opinions from peers. Thanks!
The 226/229 (in traditional DA/SA) does not have an additional safety beyond one's finger.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I like Sigs over XD/XDm pistols.
Much better trigger than the XD/XDm line.
I like the weight of an alloy frame over the polymer, although I did just buy a G19.;)
I didn't care for the Sig DA/SA trigger so much, but many love it.
Nor do I want to mess with a decocker.
Most of my Sigs have/had a DAK trigger.

Shoot the Sig and see what you think..
Nothing wrong with buy a Sig used if it is in good condition.
If it is for range use I'd recommend the P226.

Good luck..1LL

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
My Sig 226 is one hell of an accurate gun, easy to shoot as well. I only have an XD9 sc so it's like comparing apples and oranges. If you want a range gun, the 226 doesn't suck.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I see what you are saying but I did have one thought. Why would you purchase a different gun to practice or as you put it, "a range gun?" Especially since you indicated that this is not going to be you EDC gun? The one that I carry is the one I put hundreds of round through. My thinking is that I will be better prepared with the gun that I know.
Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think the answers here will be a little biased lol
^ Actually people on this forum are pretty good about giving their honest opinion. There are even people on here that don't own XD's and carry Glocks...

To the OP, I can't give my opinion on the P226 because I havn't shot one, but I have shot the P239 and that thing was extremely accurate, and fun to shoot. If you're looking for a range toy, you really can't go wrong with either gun. Shoot 'em both, and let us know what you decided to go with.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I am not o fan of Sigs. They don't balance well and they have poor triggers. Not to mention poor QC that has resulted in a number of dept orders being returned. Some people love them.
They don't balance well and have poor tirggers :confused::confused: News to me, my P226 is the exact opposite lol. Its trigger is better than anything I have had except my old Kimber 1911. Which departments have had them returned? Example please. I know other departments have had Glock issues as well...that makes them bad?? Not all will love any type of gun but overall, Sig is a quality firearm, always has been.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I own both an XD service model 4" and a Sig P229 SCT, both chambered in .40 S&W. Both are quality weapons, but there are differences as well. The Sig has full length rails where the XD has inserts, XD has a constant striker fired trigger pull where the Sig is DA/SA but very smooth. Both function with everything I've fed them (numerous brands of factory FMJ and HP's from 135g-180g). Both are equipped with night sights, the XD has Trijicon's and the Sig Trijicon rear and fiber optic front.

The XD is mostly bedside table home defense, and rough environment carry where the Sig is rotated with a Colt Combat Elite as EDC, all get equal range time. Functionally I don't prefer one over the other, both go bang and are combat accurate, I do give the Sig an advantage in appearance and bling, but that is subjective at best. I've spent significant time with different trigger systems to be proficient in the use of SA, striker, or SA/DA.

If you already have an XD you should try something else, I am not of the shoot/carry/own like functioning guns (if you spend time on the system). If for range only a P226 would be a soft shooter and very accurate in 9mm. It's a big firearm and I prefer the P229 for carry and general use.

The new P229's frame will accept 9mm/.40/.357 Sig caliber with a barrel, spring, and mag swap. (.40/.357 uses same mag and recoil spring). Older P229's are either chambered for 9mm only, or .40/.357 Sig. The .40 frame/slide can accept a 9mm barrel and mag, but the 9mm frame/slide won't accept the .40/.357 barrel and mag.

There is also the P239, a single stack compact 9mm that may be just the gun for your wife's hand size. I've owned one in the past and they are very accurate and slim to carry. Sig makes polymer framed guns in the P2022 and P250, I would go with the P2022 over the 250 series as there have been issues lately and the price on the P2022 is going up, but is still very low for what you get.

Also I've owned four Sigs and never had a QC or functional issue, but some buyer's have. That said any company can let a lemon slip through.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back from the range. I shot the P226, P229, and P239 today (as well as an XD 4", CZ 75 SPO1 and CZ 75B, and a XD SC (all in 9mm). Looking for that range/class gun chambered in 9mm (not EDC or first-line home defense).

Points learned:
1. Stick to what I know. If I am going to train/shoot...then do it on a gun I will carry both at home and on person. Shooting SIGs and CZs was pretty different than shooting Glocks/XDs.
2. Heavier gun = better shooting for me. That is just the truth.
3. P226 felt better than P229 - maybe it was that 1/10 of an inch in grip length, or 3 extra rounds. Who knows - shot better with P226.
4. P239 too small - I already have micro-guns...don't need a heavy gun with an 8rd capacity.
5. XDs are great to shoot - I own a XD 45c and love it. Hmmm, this makes sense. The SC 9mm was wayyy to small for my intended purpose, but still fun.

Final point: The CZ-75 SPO1 Tactical 18-rd 9mm metal framed gun is AWESOME to shoot! Never seen a CZ until someone at the range suggested I rent one. Maybe it was the extra weight, extra barrel length, or better ergo - but I shot a really good grouping with this gun. Crazy but true. I liked shooting that big crazy-looking gun!!! Also shot the CZ 75B but didn't like it.

So, I am going to shoot more guns...but may stick to a gun who's controls I am used to and will mechanically go back to when the SHTF. This means I need to shoot the G17, G19, XD 5" 9mm and a couple other polymer, striker-fired guns.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Cuda - right on the safety. I was thinking the de-cocker was the safety when I read the manuals. Thumbs up for lack of safeties.

@1Lowlife - I like how you mentioned you just "bought a G19." I agree with all of your other points. I shoot BETTER with my XD than I do with my Glocks...but I am getting better with Glocks now!

@Bunk - agreed. P226 great gun.

@Mustard - I think by the responses you can see that not everyone on these forums are fanboys. Most of us probably own more than one gun...of different makers...for different tasks. This is why I would ask something like that here. Love to hear those who own/love XDs provide their input on SIGs. Hell, most people here may have shot SIGs en route to buying an XD.

@Public. Agree. I think as long as I buy and practice with those that do not have safeties...and keep gun decocked...I can handle the DA trigger pull. Heck, my Kel-Tec PF9 has a 8-12lb trigger while my G23 has a 4.5-5.0lb pull...but I practice with both and know that I will be like hercules pulling that trigger when the SHTF.

@Mathew- excellent note, valuable information that I will digest. Just like some Glocks, getting a gun which can function as 2-3 other calibers is a good thing.

Thank you all - sharing is caring...haha!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I own both an XD service model 4" and a Sig P229 SCT, both chambered in .40 S&W. Both are quality weapons, but there are differences as well. The Sig has full length rails where the XD has inserts, XD has a constant striker fired trigger pull where the Sig is DA/SA but very smooth. Both function with everything I've fed them (numerous brands of factory FMJ and HP's from 135g-180g). Both are equipped with night sights, the XD has Trijicon's and the Sig Trijicon rear and fiber optic front.

The XD is mostly bedside table home defense, and rough environment carry where the Sig is rotated with a Colt Combat Elite as EDC, all get equal range time. Functionally I don't prefer one over the other, both go bang and are combat accurate, I do give the Sig an advantage in appearance and bling, but that is subjective at best. I've spent significant time with different trigger systems to be proficient in the use of SA, striker, or SA/DA.

If you already have an XD you should try something else, I am not of the shoot/carry/own like functioning guns (if you spend time on the system). If for range only a P226 would be a soft shooter and very accurate in 9mm. It's a big firearm and I prefer the P229 for carry and general use.

The new P229's frame will accept 9mm/.40/.357 Sig caliber with a barrel, spring, and mag swap. (.40/.357 uses same mag and recoil spring). Older P229's are either chambered for 9mm only, or .40/.357 Sig. The .40 frame/slide can accept a 9mm barrel and mag, but the 9mm frame/slide won't accept the .40/.357 barrel and mag.

There is also the P239, a single stack compact 9mm that may be just the gun for your wife's hand size. I've owned one in the past and they are very accurate and slim to carry. Sig makes polymer framed guns in the P2022 and P250, I would go with the P2022 over the 250 series as there have been issues lately and the price on the P2022 is going up, but is still very low for what you get.

Also I've owned four Sigs and never had a QC or functional issue, but some buyer's have. That said any company can let a lemon slip through.
Mathew is tight on with this info,

I own numerous Sigs, and Xd's and love them both, to be honest IMHO, these two guns are not even comparable, the Sigs frame weight is the biggest factor I would say is the discerning factor. The sights are different, etc,

I will beat the crap out of my XD's with normal wear and tear, but as Mathew stated my Sigs have the "bling" factor and I am very careful with them.

Shoot both of them and tell us what you think, and what you decide.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, that is what drew me to SIG - the weight. I am not looking for a EDC...I'm looking for range/class/plink. Again, having 10 extra ounces means nothing to me.

Of course I agree with "bling". My XDs and Glocks take a beating...hence why I don't own any fancy-pants metal expensive guns...or is it because I am poor???

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was at the range with my XDm 9mm yesterday. My friend stopped by and had his Beretta and his wifes 226. I had never shot a sig before so he let me throw a few downrange with it. The first thing that I noticed was the trigger. Big difference between it and my XDs and Glocks. I liked it once I got used to it. The pull was light. It didn't fire until my finger was touching the rear of the trigger guard. I thought I hadn't cocked it with that first round. As far as accuracy, it was spot on at 15 yds. I'm not the best shot, but it grouped well. The feel of the gun was superb with the weight of all that metal. I don't usually carry a gun that size. I have a 642 for EDC most if the year and will carry my XD 45 in the winter. That sig sure is pretty though.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was at the range with my XDm 9mm yesterday. My friend stopped by and had his Beretta and his wifes 226. I had never shot a sig before so he let me throw a few downrange with it. The first thing that I noticed was the trigger. Big difference between it and my XDs and Glocks. I liked it once I got used to it. The pull was light. It didn't fire until my finger was touching the rear of the trigger guard. I thought I hadn't cocked it with that first round. As far as accuracy, it was spot on at 15 yds. I'm not the best shot, but it grouped well. The feel of the gun was superb with the weight of all that metal. I don't usually carry a gun that size. I have a 642 for EDC most if the year and will carry my XD 45 in the winter. That sig sure is pretty though.
So...do you shoot better with your XDm or the 226? My point of aim is better with SIG...but I give the added weight and a lighter trigger due props.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I shoot better with the XDm. However, I only shot two mags with the 226. So, hard to compare.
I have better inherent aim (i guess thats what it's called) with the XDm over the 226. The sights seem to just line up with the target when I pull the gun up and push out. The same is true over my glock 19 & 26.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I shot my Sigs much better than my XDs (never cared for or owned an XDm).
I sold 4 XDs after getting into Sigs.

I sold a few Sigs after getting into 1911s..:oops:
But I still have my P239 I carried for 2 years.

As stated I like the DAK trigger on my Sigs.
I like a consistent trigger pull on my carry guns.
And at the present time, all my pistols are potential carry guns.

Yes, I have issues...;)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I own a Sig P226 Elite and an XDM compact. I like them both and think they fill specific roles. I conceal carry my XDM 50% of the time (the other 50% is a PF-9). My P226 is strictly range/HD gun.

Reliability
After replacing the factory P226 mags, my P226 is 100% reliable. The XDM has never failed me. So boringly reliable I should say.

Mechanical/Fitting
P226. Period. It's design is very elegant.

Accuracy
P226. Holes inside holes. My XDM compact is good, but not as good as my P226. Part of it is the shooter (me). The P226 just fits better in my hand and I don't strain as much when I aim. It's also heavy at 40+ ounces. This helps with the stability, quicker follow-up shots, and recoil. It took me a while to get adjusted to the DA trigger and it does not bother me one bit now. The SA mode is light and crisp - 100X better than my XDM. With the Short Reset Trigger of the P226, faster follow-up shots.

Practicality
XDM. Half as much as the P226. It does the job. Both have exceptional customer service support. Can't go wrong with any of them. My XDM compact also fulfills a multitude of roles and I can easily conceal 39 rounds wearing dress pants (using a SmartCarry holster).

Here's a family photo:

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I own a Sig P226 Elite and an XDM compact. I like them both and think they fill specific roles. I conceal carry my XDM 50% of the time (the other 50% is a PF-9). My P226 is strictly range/HD gun.

Reliability
After replacing the factory P226 mags, my P226 is 100% reliable. The XDM has never failed me. So boringly reliable I should say.

Mechanical/Fitting
P226. Period. It's design is very elegant.

Accuracy
P226. Holes inside holes. My XDM compact is good, but not as good as my P226. Part of it is the shooter (me). The P226 just fits better in my hand and I don't strain as much when I aim. It's also heavy at 40+ ounces. This helps with the stability, quicker follow-up shots, and recoil. It took me a while to get adjusted to the DA trigger and it does not bother me one bit now. The SA mode is light and crisp - 100X better than my XDM. With the Short Reset Trigger of the P226, faster follow-up shots.

Practicality
XDM. Half as much as the P226. It does the job. Both have exceptional customer service support. Can't go wrong with any of them. My XDM compact also fulfills a multitude of roles and I can easily conceal 39 rounds wearing dress pants (using a SmartCarry holster).
Nice collection! That P226 Elite is a big, heavy expensive gun. Tips the scales at 42oz with mag. Not really the best thing to compare to a lightweight XDm Compact! Heck, awesome gun, and I think I would shoot quite well with that man-cannon! You were correct in price. Sometimes ya gotta save up for a bucket list gun and sometimes you simply want to buy something which will do the job and you don't have to baby it or worry about scratches.

POINT: I was cleaning my G23 GEN4 last night and was wiping down the exterior with a cloth when my wedding ring caught and left a nice, gentle, 3 inch scratch on the receiver. Not HUGELY noticeable but something I would have to list if I sold it. Did I cry? Nope. If that was on a SIG, Kimber, or Wilson - I would have jumped off a bridge. Haha. Take care!:evil:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts