Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will too much oil cause the XD-9 to not extract? i bought a box of 100 remington and every other bullet i shot would not extract and would jam. Did this through 4+ clips, i then was frustrated and packed up. if anyone has any suggestion on why please let me know.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Over oiling will cause the malfunction. It has been my experience that the XD will gobble up any ammo I've put through it. Some may shoot better (tighter groups) than other types, but it will feed, fire, extract all ammo just fine (all ammo that I have tried). I tend to think that the ammo is usually not the problem....maybe if you were shooting a competition pistol built around a certian load, but with a stock XD, you should have minimal ammo related problems. A few questions:
1) is the pistol brand new?
2) have you ever had this problem before? was it with this specific ammo?
3) are all other things constant other than the oiling?
I may be overstating the obvious, but when oiling make sure that the chamber and extractor/ejector have only the thinnest coat of oil. The extractor won't do you any good if it can't get a grip on the case!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has less than 2000 rounds through it

It has jammed on me before doing the same thing but not as frequent as this last time around. I usually use the same ammo all the time...Wal-mart 100 round boxes from winchester.

Only think different that i know is the extra oil.

i may clean it cut back on the oil and use the same rounds...if it still jams then im going to try a different type of ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
headhunter
when oiling make sure that the chamber and extractor/ejector have only the thinnest coat of oil
I would say no oil at all in the chamber and extractor, ejector. Chamber and ejector does not move and will not benefit from oil. Extractor does move if you call engaging the rim of the case a "movement", but it is such a small operation that really wouldn't benefit from oil. Now oil on the extractor will make the engaging surface slick and will lose it's grip on the rim and that is no good. :x

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Some people have said that the extractor groove on Winchester White 'Box is not as deep as most other ammo, which can cause extraction problems.

Also, make sure there is nothing under the extractor in the little groove that it rests in, and that all is prefectly clean under the "claw" of the extractor. Either of these conditions will keep the extractor from fully engaging the extractor rim of the case and may cause a FTEx.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Chamber, extractor, and breech face should be dry.
Failure to extract is a common problem in the XD-9. It can be solved by doing two things:
1. Make sure your gun has the "new style" extractor.
2. Use ammo that has a THICK RIM. If you compare the rim thickness of Winchester White Box to Federal American Eagle you can noticably tell that the Federal has a thicker rim. You will also notice that the Federal extracts better.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New extracter for the XD?

How much does that run?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey that's a good question. I bought my XD9 used and have noticed it having the same trouble on occasion.

I've got a picture that someone posted here comparing the two extractors, but how do I get mine out to check it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Andrew B said:
Hey that's a good question. I bought my XD9 used and have noticed it having the same trouble on occasion.

I've got a picture that someone posted here comparing the two extractors, but how do I get mine out to check it?
Just take the slide off and turn it upside down. If you had a old style and new style sitting side by side it would be easy to see the difference.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had the same problem when my XD got very cold, the lube just got too thick and slowed down the action.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If you have a Springfield Armory XD, you already have the new extractor.

The old extractor was only in the older HS2000s.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
The Tengu said:
If you have a Springfield Armory XD, you already have the new extractor.

The old extractor was only in the older HS2000s.
I'm not sure your right about that. I think ajames put up a pic of the two different extractors at one time. Hopefully he still has that pic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cleaned it once more...Put less oil on it and used the same ammo and Still was not extracting right......TRied some different ammo...not one failed....Tried the first ammo in another 9mm.....and it was not extracting right.....SO the ammo i think was expanding in the chamber and swelling against the side.....box of 100 winchester ammo from wal-mart...might think twice before getting some.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
polarbear
TRied some different ammo...not one failed
Whatever brand that was, is the one that works for you. Get more of it and enjoy what your XD is all about. :D

Have fun, be safe and enjoy it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts