Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I have a XD-9 that hits about three inches below point of aim at a distance of 7 yards when completely covering the target with the front sight dot. I checked for flinching, but I'm not. When using twelve o'clock aiming, it hits about 5 or 6 inches low at seven yards! :shock: It does this with every type of ammo I've tried: WWB, Ranger +P frangible practice, CCI Blazer, and Hydrashocks.

Is there anything I can do with the sights to correct this? I love the gun, but this is too off for me to trust it completely. :?

-scifiguy13

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
scifiguy13 said:
Hey all.

I have a XD-9 that hits about three inches below point of aim at a distance of 7 yards ........

I checked for flinching, but I'm not. ........

Is there anything I can do with the sights to correct this? I love the gun, but this is too off for me to trust it completely. :?
I am not sure how you can know for certain that you are not flinching. Have you had anyone else shoot the gun? Have you tried firing from a steady rest? Have you practiced dry firing with a dime on the end of the slide? I take that further and balance the dime right on the sight itself. (Have to aim a bit upwards).

How long have you owned the gun?

I had thought my Springfield 1911 was also low (and left). I was convinced it was the gun and not me. I later found out differently. But I was pretty positive at the time.

I called SA, and spoke with Debbie. I told her the gun was shooting low. She asked my by how much and at what distance. I don't remember exactly what I told her, but I do remember her response...she said "that is not acceptable, send the gun back to us so we can make it right".

The last thing I wanted to do was see my shiny new baby disappear for at least several weeks. I got two very capable shooters to try my gun. To my astonishment, despite my absolute "certainty" that I could not be flinching, and therefore the gun's sights were off, or worse..the barrel was misaligned, the barrel was bent, blah, blah, blah....both shooters found my gun to be exactly on the money.

So it seems you have some available option on how to tackle your problem. First thing is MAKE SURE if it's you or the gun. It's statistically more likely to be you.

If it is you, of course you just need to work on accuracy.

Another option is to get your sights to cooperate with you. If they are not adjustable they can still be worked but only to a limit.

Another option still is to switch sights to adjustable. I don't know how easy or difficult this is, but you can find out.

And finally, you can send you baby back to SA and let them have a go at it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. It is something you can correct.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
52 Posts
first: bench shoot it to try to remove more human error from the equation.

hitting low is normally a function of too hard a trigger press. Put 8lbs on a 5lb trigger and you're going to pull the muzzle down before the round leaves the barrel.

also, have someone else shoot it, see if they have the same problem. In my experience with these guns it is very unlikely that it is the gun.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Delija said:
I am not sure how you can know for certain that you are not flinching. Have you had anyone else shoot the gun? Have you tried firing from a steady rest? Have you practiced dry firing with a dime on the end of the slide? I take that further and balance the dime right on the sight itself. (Have to aim a bit upwards).

Peace,
D.
Start there. Shotting a pistol aint easy, especially when you are a noob to pistols. I thought tha same thing about my XD40, then I figured out the truth :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My $.02. A friend of mine bought an XD-9 same time I bought my XD-40 and he was constantly complaining about his 9 shooting low. One day we just so happened to be at the range at the same time and we traded guns for a few mags. Can you believe it?...my XD40 was shooting low for him too. Anyway, both guns were right on using 6 o'clock aim for me. He asked me how I was aiming and I pretty much regurgitated as much of the shooting information I found on the web as I could. Turns out he wasn't aligning the top of his front sight on the same plane as the top of his rear sights. If the left/right alignment is right on when you shoot, and your fairly confident in your trigger work, are you making sure your sights are properly aligned?

Obviously the best way to tell if its the gun and not you, is to have someone w/ experience shooting a pistol shoot it as suggested above.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
First couple mags outta my 40 was the same way. First time shooting an auto and they were all low and to the left. My buddy showed up and watched me fire three rounds and corrected the problem. I was anticipating the shot, dropping the muzzle and too much finger on the trigger. I slowed down, controlled my breathing and let every shot surprise me..good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At 25 feet I have to place the dot covering the place I want it to hit. It is kinda hard because it covers up the point of impact but it works for me. Maybe the bullet raises at longer distances?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
All good advice above. I will just add my XD SC9 shot 6" low at 25yrds at my dept.'s range. I thought it was me, since I was retired (and older) and hadn't shot there for a few yrs. I let the rangemaster shoot it and he had the same problem.

Called SA and they had me send it in. Turns out the sights were mismatched (their words). They replaced the sights and the gun shoots fine. Restored my confidence!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts