Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Air Force is assigning me to San Antonio, TX this summer. Currently, I am stationed to Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Due to deployments and the cost of hunting for non-residents in Nevada; I have missed out hunting the last several years. Unlike TX; Nevada doesn't give military members resident status for hunting permits. It can get very expensive to hunt big game. I recently purchased a XD-9 tactical model and love it for accurate shooting and inexpensive ammo (especially compared to .45 ACP). I have heard that 9 MM is adequate for Javelinas. In TX there is a year round season on Javs; so I figured that I would have good opportunities to hunt this animal. I probably will use my SKS or Mini 14 as a primary weapon and carry the XD-9 as a backup. Any suggestions on 9 MM ammo for Javelinas? One of the reasons that I got the XD-9 instead of the .40 or .45 is that I am new to the handgun world so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If li'l piggy hasn't dropped after 10 rounds of M43 or 10+ rounds of M855, the 9mm ain't gonna phase 'im.

·
Premium Member
127,080 Posts
If li'l piggy hasn't dropped after 10 rounds of M43 or 10+ rounds of M855, the 9mm ain't gonna phase 'im.

Amen to that, brother!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Javelinas. Yeah. I'm from Tucson, and it reminds me of a joke. "How do you cook a Javelina? First, start a fire. then, take some roofing shingles, and put the meat on them and set 'em over the flames. Let 'em cook 'till they are black and crispy. Then eat the shingles. Have fun.;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
100% not to be a dick, but how are you in the air force and are new to handguns? This isnt a normal part of training? Bootcamp?

The Air Force is assigning me to San Antonio, TX this summer. Currently, I am stationed to Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Due to deployments and the cost of hunting for non-residents in Nevada; I have missed out hunting the last several years. Unlike TX; Nevada doesn't give military members resident status for hunting permits. It can get very expensive to hunt big game. I recently purchased a XD-9 tactical model and love it for accurate shooting and inexpensive ammo (especially compared to .45 ACP). I have heard that 9 MM is adequate for Javelinas. In TX there is a year round season on Javs; so I figured that I would have good opportunities to hunt this animal. I probably will use my SKS or Mini 14 as a primary weapon and carry the XD-9 as a backup. Any suggestions on 9 MM ammo for Javelinas? One of the reasons that I got the XD-9 instead of the .40 or .45 is that I am new to the handgun world so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,056 Posts
hello from ohio,,

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Another welcome from Florida

·
Registered
481 Posts
welcome from East TX.........plenty of pigs in TX

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome from AZ. Use the SKS for the hunting. You could take down a javelina with a 9mm but if you do not make it a head shot your going to have an empty mag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts