Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XD-9 at least 15 years old. I used it for practical shooting and a general range pistol. I have recently tried heavier rounds with a blunted tip and hollow points. It feeds with irregularity the blunted nose rounds, but the hollow points, no way. With the slide locked back and a magazine inserted, it looks like the round is held crooked, to the left. I stripped the slide off and did the same thing and that round is not straight. Its like the magazine is held crooked. Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can you post a pic of the top of the magazine looking straight down? Maybe both in and out of the gun. That may help us see what the scoop is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope this works. I attempted to upload images with a drag and drop deal. By the way this stuff is not my forte. It says three pics are attached.
IMG_20200605_174957.jpg
IMG_20200605_174936.jpg
IMG_20200605_174912.jpg

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Not sure but looks like top of follower is deformed. If so that could be skewing rounds.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Has the problem been consistent across multiple magazines?

If not, have you tried replacing the magazine spring and/or follower?

Have you tried brand-new magazines?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would suggest new mags. The feed lips don’t look in the greatest shape. But, I’m no expert. Here’s what a relatively new mag looks like. Bonus round. Who can guess the ammo? ;)

ETA: here is what it looks like in the gun without the slide.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have 4 magazines, all purchased in 2005 and all 4 look the same. The rounds all point to the left. The very top on all mags on the left lip looks clean, where the right lip could have slight ding on the front of the lip. Tomorrow I will take the mags and put a pin in each and test them for central and straight using a dial indicator on a surface plate. If it is a deformation on the mag lips, I can't account for all four ranting the same direction. I will post back tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok. Hope you find the culprits soon. If you have any newer mags, see how the specs compare. You may be able to contact Springfield.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Perhaps you might want to try a complete detail strip and cleaning.

Below are pics of your XD and Xdjyo’s, notice the extreme carbon build up near the trigger bar and striker safety lever. There may be enough build up in certain areas that’s causing the mag to be cocked in the mag well.

Your pistol

01654BCD-04F7-4BCE-96C1-3044EBE6BBB9.jpeg

Xdjyo’s pistol

A940F16D-B64E-48B9-B533-8F9F27327EFA.jpeg

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
^ I agree - and I'm embarrassed not to have seen that, too....but that looks like some serious debris/carbon in there.....

I'll have to peek and see how dirty my guns are. More on this after lunch...... :)

----

In terms of the mags, below are my main users. Please pardon the background of the industrial carpeting of my basement :oops:, and the apparent hair...which is either from me or my daughter, or maybe one of her many American Girl dolls :p:D .....

Row 1.JPG

^ This top row consists of two of my 19-round dry-fire magazines on the left, along with a 13-round live-fire training/practice use magazine (on top of the white LEGO piece) and a 13-round dry-fire training/practice use magazine (on top of the blue LEGO piece).

Row 3.JPG

^ This bottom-most row consists of five of the 19-round magazines that I use when training/practicing with my 3.8 Compact. It's a pretty new set, ~5 years old, with probably a combined 20K rounds through them?

The middle row in following two pictures are my six main training/practice 19-rounders, now having seen well over 70K rounds cycled through them over the course of the last ~9 years. The contrast with the bottom row of newer magazines is quite obvious:

Row 2.JPG

Rows 2 and 3.JPG

As you can see of the mags in the middle row, several have obvious distortions at the leading edge.

None of these magazines are babied - they've lead and continue to lead tough lives. :lol: As I wrote previously, they've been dropped on grassy turf (who needs a picture of a beautiful grassy turf as proof!), ash-cinder, rocky sand typical of quarries, on gravel of varying sizes, and, of-course, on concrete that's typical of indoor range flooring.

As @XDJyo recommended, perhaps it is worth it at this point to purchase a new magazine, to see how it compares and perhaps then hit-up SA for service.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I spent some time with a surface plate, pin gauges and a dial indicator. All 4 magazines were buggered up on top and all skewing the round in the same direction, but not the same amount. with the use of parallel clamps, I was able to get some of the kinks out and most importantly, was able to make them hold around nice and straight. They are still ugly, but functional now. I am sure that the years spent doing practical shooting doing mag changes on the run is what caused it. They have been dropped a lot of times partially full. A nd thanks for the comment about the carbon build up. It does need a serious cleaning. Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts