Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...Is there anything I can do to my bi-tone to make it look better without screwing anything up? Ive seen so many pictures of people polishing their black xds and it looks soooo good... so what would you guys suggest? Thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
i personally think the bitone xd's look great as they are... but ifyou're looking for a little more bling... well you could self polish the barrel(but i wouldn't due to higher risk of rust), or buy a replacement stainless steel barrel from bar sto. You could also have some of the external components recoated in a silver color such as your trigger, slide lock lever, grip safety, disassembly lever, etc.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I don't know about stainless on stainless. Last time I checked, stainless on stainless is susceptable to galling. If the protective layer on both the slide and the barrel were to come off, the two points could bond itself together(galling). Then you basically have a spot weld between your barrel and slide. I know the valve caps I used to work with were susceptible to it. I'm not sure if stainless guns are special or something. Isn't usually a carbon steel barrel used??

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If you want your **** to really bling, pick up a can of metallic Krylon at the Wal-Mart.

BIZOW, biatch! Instant pimpness.

·
Registered
197 Posts
jkswiss said:
I don't know about stainless on stainless. Last time I checked, stainless on stainless is susceptable to galling. If the protective layer on both the slide and the barrel were to come off, the two points could bond itself together(galling). Then you basically have a spot weld between your barrel and slide. I know the valve caps I used to work with were susceptible to it. I'm not sure if stainless guns are special or something. Isn't usually a carbon steel barrel used??
It takes a lot of GULL to say that........get it?..........gulling.....GULL?...ah forget it! :?

·
Registered
992 Posts
jkswiss said:
Smith and Wesson has been doing stainless on stainless for decades. On their pistols, the barrels appear to be stainless as well. I've fopund no indication that they are plated carbon steel. I've never seen an all stainless handgun gall and bind as you've described. I imagine it shold be the least of your worries.

B9

1 - 11 of 11 Posts