Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I recently picked up an XD9 Service while visiting family in AZ. Store was having an overstock sale. Gun 2 double stacks and the TSA case cost 400 OTD. Yesterday I picked up a Streamlight TLR-2S. In the past I've noticed the Surefire on my Sig gets smoked with powder residue and a little scarring from muzzle flash. Anyone have experience with wrapping the end of their lights to avoid it? Saw a video on YouTube about using electrical tape but I can't imagine that doesn't melt after a few rounds.

Also looking for suggestions for either a OWB or IWB holster.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
My first thought would be to use a shorter light/laser. The TLR-4 is 2.73" long, while the TLR-2 is 3.39". Anything sticking out past the muzzle is going to get blasted.

A camping trick might help a bit, covering the bottoms of pots with soap makes removing soot easier... perhaps if you coat it with soap, wipe it off, or maybe a wipedown with something like CLP would help a bit - at least make it easier to clean.

Mark H.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My first thought would be to use a shorter light/laser. The TLR-4 is 2.73" long, while the TLR-2 is 3.39". Anything sticking out past the muzzle is going to get blasted.

A camping trick might help a bit, covering the bottoms of pots with soap makes removing soot easier... perhaps if you coat it with soap, wipe it off, or maybe a wipedown with something like CLP would help a bit - at least make it easier to clean.

Mark H.
Yep, agree with Mark- the TLR 3 or 4 would reduce the light's exposure greatly. I would try using LPS1 on the body of the light. It goes on wet but dries in a few minutes leaving a protective film that makes clean up a lot easier. Congrats on the new 9 iron.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After cleaning pic. Put 525 rounds through it yesterday. Mostly Winchester 115gr FMJ range ammo. Guessing most of the scorching came from the Hornady 124gr XTP +P. Muzzle flash was quite pronounced on that magazine.

While a smaller light would do the trick I'm already out of pocket 240 for this one. Add in another 125 or so and its about what the gun cost. My Sig has a Surefire on it and my 1911 doesn't have a rail. Thanks for the input. I'll give your ideas a whirl.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts