Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend was shooting his XD 40 today with factory Win White Box ammo. He fired, and though I didn't observe it, said that smoke came out of the slide but no bullet exited the barrel.

Slide could not be racked, striker had struck the primer so was released. I could look down the bore and see the bullet was still there. Trying to move the slide with pressure on the front was unsuccessful.

I suspected the bullet had moved far enough to engage the rifling, but had not released from the case. I ended up using a squib rod the drive the bullet back into the case and free the slide from the barrel.

An examination of the round revealed a pierced primer. I suspect no powder because I was able to drive the bullet into the case far enough that the bullet's tip was almost flush with the end of the case. I have no idea why the primer pierced though.

An unusual occurance for me, but we got the gun working without a trip to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Glad everything turned out well, squibs are the one "gun thing" that frightens me, when I'm doing a mag-dump there won't be time to stop the next shot if I have a squib.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was loading magazines and was not standing close, but his son was right behind him and told him to stop. Otherwise the XD might have been mistaken for a Glock! :p

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
What does XD 49 mean?

I was in an IDPA match a few years ago and the shooter in the squad to my left kept having trouble with his Beretta 92. Would not cycle. After several bad starts, the RO pulled the shooter off the line and took him and his 92 to the safe area. I went over and found 380 brass ,were he was shooting. Went to the RO and found out the shooter the day before bought 4 boxes of 9mm ammo at Wally World ( back when you get ammo) and he had the 4 boxes there. 4 9mm boxes 3 with 9mm ammo 1 with 380. Must have switched the ammo, so some poor guy must have gotten 9mm instead of 380. No one hurt or the pistol.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I was loading magazines and was not standing close, but his son was right behind him and told him to stop. Otherwise the XD might have been mistaken for a Glock! :p
What?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Call me crazy, but I ain't looking down the bore for a while after the round fails to fire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow,glad nobody was harmed. I have seen squibs in an Uzi before. One had six bullets lodged in the bore. The barrel was trashed and the owner thankful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts