Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ammo: WWB 230gr FMJ & Speer Lawman 200gr FMJ

Rounds fired: Only about 100+

I called my buddy to get his butt out of bed and come with me to the range. He said he wasn't sure if he could. I told him I was buying the ammo and he was at my door before I hung up. Never having fired an XD before, he was still up in the air about getting either an XD or a Glock and he was interested in getting to try one out. It's my XD, so I'm shootin' first. I fired off four magazines and proceeded to make not many small holes, but one large hole in the center of the target. My buddy asks, "Have you ever fired that well before?"

Ha, ha, ha. Yes, but never with a gun I've never fired before with ammunition I've never fired before. Before you say it, yes, the XD was helping me out and I joked with my buddy, telling him that this handgun had a special "auto-aiming" feature.

His turn. Without even aiming, he put every round center mass (damn Special Forces training...) and he said he was very impressed with the way the XD felt in his hands. HE joked that the XD must come with a "Can not miss the the target" guarantee.

We put a few more rounds down range and then packed it in. Long story short, no FTF's, no FTE's, and a few targets worthy of framing. On the technical side, I would have liked a shorter trigger pull and shorter trigger reset, but that is being VERY nit-picky. Recoil was far less than anticipated and even less than my patrol weapon, a Berretta 9mm. Yes, I would take the XD over the Berretta everyday and twice on Sundays. All rounds consistently hit point of aim. The ONLY problem was that I could only afford a couple boxes of ammo until mid-month payday.

We headed to a local gun store so my buddy could price an XD, which he says is his next gun purchase, followed shortly by one for his wife. We walked into the store and the woman behind the counter was wearing her carry piece. One guess what it was... Yes, for you new people, it was an XD. The moral of this range report is - The only thing worse than not owning an XD is owning an XD and not having enough ammo.....

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
These XDs are a bargain :eek:

Nice range report and most importantly nice shooting by both of you :D

Keep it up, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What distance were you shooting from? I am seriously considering getting the 45gap XD for a CCW (and probably a 9 to keep it company, once the wife is done w/ school). Only have a ruger p95dc and I hate the thing (it was my first pistola) would rather shoot my wife's 380 Cheeta 95fs. This looks like a nice option instead of buying a micro sized 1911.
Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you're still feeling "nit-picky"

I think I might have heard something on these boards about a trigger job from Rich at Canyon Creek??? :)

If you already love your XD, I'd bet that make you love it even more.

-stunks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The target distance was about 10 meters (30+ feet) which is not far, but easily farther than you have if you were using it for self defense on the streets or in your home. And, yes a Canyon Creek trigger job HAS crossed my mind once or 10 times.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Slapnuts,
What didn't you like about the P95? I have one as my first gun along with a few gripes about it but just wanted to hear what others have to say.

geoff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts