Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm trying to decide between these two. Maybe thats a silly question to ask on an XD forum:D But I trust you guys to give some unbiased feedback. Here's some things I've mulled over the past couple days:

XD-45c pros:10 round capacity/13 round capacity w/ sleeve, loaded chamber indicator, cocking indicator, backstrap safety, solid construction, easy takedown.

Issues: rust (mostly been addressed by now), really stiff slide, slightly higher bore axis, slightly chunky grip, guide rod lockup issue (if reassembly performed incorrectly)

M&P-45c pros: one of the latest M&P platforms, good reliability track record, easily rackable slide, thumb safety option, slimmer grip, very ergonomic, lower bore axis, easily changeable mag release (lefty or righty), loaded chamber viewport.

Issues: QC issues? I've heard a LOT of small parts issues (broken strikers, slide stops, mag releases, cracks in triggers) that S&W has supposedly fixed but who knows? Much more plastic in the pistol than the XD (trigger, striker housing(?), back of the slide) which concerns me a little, detail strip info? I've also read it is bad to dry fire the pistol.

I'd like to give the M&P a chance, but all that plastic sounds iffy to me...but the pistol probably fits me better than the XD.

Is there anything I'm missing? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Use snap caps if you are going to dry fire an M&P. It's really not a bad idea to use them when dry firing any pistol. As far as the quantity of plastic, eh. They are both plastic guns and neither feels different to me in that respect. The M&P does have a steel chassis in the frame, so call it a wash between the XD and the M&P.

Shoot them both if you can and get whichever one you shoot better and feels better. For me, that was the M&P.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you were talking about any other caliber I would say m&p. But IMHO, in 45 the advantage goes to xd, purely cause of the capacity capabilities.

I like the ergos on the m&p's more than the xd. It's pretty hard to explain but the triggers are different, I like the m&p better, but obviously YMMV. The trigger on my xd is lighter, but much "softer" (longer pull, longer reset, it doesn't distinctly break). Where as my m&p's trigger is heavier but has a much shorter travel and reset, and a very distinct break, which I love. But you may not.

But the advantages of the m&p's ergos don't outweigh the xd45c advantages in firepower. IMHO, besides the xdm's, the xd45 compacts are the best that the xd line has to offer at this point in time.

Really, the best bet is to try and get some trigger time with both and decide which fits you best. Unless you shoot ALOT, you will never have to deal with any possible parts breakages in either pistol.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have the XD45C and just bought my son one for XMAS. We are not trigger fanatics and really don't have a problem w/most gun triggers as our guns are mainly for SD. The key is to practice to get used to any gun that we use. We both think the gun has a pretty nice grip also and handles well. You'd be hard pressed to find anything negative about it. Have you seen the torture test?
I have a M&P9C and it is a sweet shooter. The M&P platform is pretty awesome too but at this point in time I lean to the reliability of the XD's. I'd like to see the M&P45C out for awhile before I would chose it over the XD. It might be a little more expensive than the XD also. My M&P was dropping mags and although S&W fixed the problem it will be awhile before I can confidently CC that puppy. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I had an XD45c for a few months and sold it. I own a M&P45c now, and I have no plans to get rid of it any time soon. ;)

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I like the M&P

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I have never had a problem with the slide being too stiff on the XD 45 compact.

However, both are quality pistols made by great companies with great warranties, so go with whicever one feels the best.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That is something that I had thought of before. Of course if you get you're pistol and magazines now, that is a non-issue.

It's gonna be interesting to see how SA deals with this in the future. They've really pushed the reputation of the xd45 around its 13 round capacity. How impressive is the xd45 gonna be when every pistol has the same limit on capacity? I think you are right that the m&p 45 is gonna get alot of popularity if/when another AWB happens.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The M&P has better ergos and is lighther and less bulky than the XD. The XD is easier to clean and seems built more solid than the M&P. The slide is a lot easier to operate on the M&P than on the XD (sometimes a concern for female shooters). The trigger on the M&P sucks -I had 3 M&Ps, and even with thousands of rounds down the tube, a XD with a few hundred rounds still has a better trigger IMO.

Bottom line, everything is a compromise but if that is going to be your only M&P, I'd buy it and get a trigger job from Bowie or the like.
One last point: there is quite a bit of varaition in the trigger from one M&P to the next, so if you have a chance, buy one you can dry fire first.

S&W is at its third striker design on the M&P if I recall correctly. The broken stiker problem should be fixed by now but only time will tell.
It is safe to dry fire the M&P within reason, but if you are going to do dry fire practice sessions just use snap caps (M&P or XD).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts