Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been trying to shoot well with my XD but it's just not happening. Some say one has to get use to it. Well I just shot 200 rounds yesterday, trying different things, like changing the grip as I thought I was holding it to hard. It didn't help. Then I tried to change the way I hold the trigger, thought I use too much finger on it. It didn't work either. Have tried all sorts of things I could imagine but it's just not coming right.

My problem is the no. of sorts hitting bulls eye are a few. Yesterday I shot 200 rounds and could only hit around 10-12 right in the middle of the target. Most of them were pretty decent hits but I think I shot Glock & Sig better than this gun. Had more shots hitting in the middle of the target. Overall I am not impressed with the XD experience.

First time I held the XD it felt so good and I thought that I have found a good gun for me and bought it immediately. I wish I had shot it before hand and I am sure I wouldn't have bought it.

I think I will sell it and buy a Sig 220 compact OR Glock 36.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Your on the right track. My dad told me when I was a young lad that if you don't like something, change it. So if you don't like your XD change it.

Good luck with what ever you decide and report with your findings. It will be interesting to here your results.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Most of them were pretty decent hits but I think I shot Glock & Sig better than this gun.
This statement leads me to believe you are searching for a handgun that will make you a better shot. Unless you know you shoot better with another type I suggest practicing with what you have. Spend time dry firing and practice the techniques. When you have the basics down you'll find you can pick up just about any gun and shoot well. I think it takes a well above average (better than me) marksman to really see the difference between a good gun and a great one.

How far are you shooting anyway? You might consider bringing the target in closer until you are more proficient. Are you shooting with the short magazine or the one with the grip extension?

If you decide to sell you probably won't have much trouble finding a buyer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did not like the SC or C at all but the service rocks.
I was all over the place with the SC and the C I just did not like the short grip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much you want for it?
Let me give it a last chance and if it works great alse I'll post my advt. here next week. Probably $100 less than the price I bought it for.

Anything you guys want me to try out for the last time. Hopefully it would work and I won't get the $100 hit :D

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Have the range master shoot it. See if it gives him issues. You could also try a different brand/lot of ammo.

Have a friend load some random snap caps in your mags and look for the flintch.

If it's the gun, send it back and get it right. S/A will make it right.

My XD45C is very accurate.

Good luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
so tell us, what other handguns are you proficient with??

many come here and say similar..

I had the initial low-left problem.. after dry firing in the hallway at home for 3 weeks I improved a lot!

mind you, my last side arm was a Russian Makarov..

you could be rushing your trigger. anticipating the "BANG!" , or any other thing that could influence your ability ..

the ol mantra is "practice, practice, practice!"

good luck on your decision!

run through the free vids here.. see if ya pick up on anything..

GunTalkTV - The #1 Online Resource for Gun Training (click "watch now" at the top)

GunTalkTV - The #1 Online Resource for Gun Training

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I've found I'm most accurate with my XD when I maintain as tight a grip as possible and make sure I'm using the push/pull method properly. My first XD was the SC-9, and was unsatisfied with the accuracy for quite some time until it was recommended to me by another XD owner to maintain as tight a grip as comfortably possible. Once I corrected my grip, my groups shrank by at least half. I know the old school of thought was maintain a loose but firm grip, but with the advent of polymer pistols this has changed. Because of the reduced weight of the frame, muzzle flip is a little more difficult to control. The more you control the muzzle flip, the tighter your groups will have.

Two other things that may help are a solid 1 piece guide rod and a heavier spring. You may have to scrounge a bit for these, as I wasn't able to find anything except options for 9mm, .357, and .40. I couldn't find anything for the .45 service/compact, but I'm sure there are options out there.

The solid guide rod will give you a little more weight up front and help to control muzzle flip. The heavier spring helps to ensure a more consistent barrel/slide lockup and will also help with accuracy.

Try with the 16rd magazine and see if that helps. Also, it's not uncommon to have a pistol increase in accuracy once you get past the 200 rd mark. Even on two different pistols from the same production run you can have one that shoots accurately from the first round, and the other is all over the place. Once it's more broken in, you might see accuracy improve. It's hard to determine the exact problem without examining and shooting it, but hopefully some of this will be helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
At this point I think the most important part is that you and the gun can hold a group. It doesn't need to be in the center, but all of your shots need to be in one location, as tight as possible. You can fix getting in the center but if you can't hold a group you may as well sell it. I had accuracy issues when I transitioned from my 92FS to my XD45C but since I've practiced and given it a chance I'm more accurate with it than the 92FS and I've shot thousands more rounds through my 92FS. Firstly, don't go to the range with a bad mindset or you've screwed yourself right there; don't think about selling the gun if you do badly because you're pressuring yourself. Take a good grip on the gun that is comfortable all around. Present your gun to the target, get good sight alignment/picture and squeeze the trigger. Once the shot breaks don't move a muscle and let the pistol ride it's rollercoaster until it comes back down and settles over the target. Once the pistol has settled set it down on the bench and give your arms a few seconds to rest and repeat. You can skip the rest if you want but after 20 or 30 min of slow fire they will need a rest or your accuracy will start to decline. To recap: just make sure you and the gun can hold a group somewhere on the target, doesn't have to be bullseye. We can help you fix that later, but not if you can't hold a group.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dry fire. Do it!

You will start to see the sights moving and it will tell you everything you need to know.

Is there any obvious tendencies in your groups? Low? High? Shotgun all over? Never fired a gun with your eyes open?

The last one was a joke!;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 9mm SC and cant shoot it well at all. I am very accurate with the 45C. Whatever works for you. I am a decent shot but nothing great. I feel comfortable with the 45C.
Best of luck to you. I know where you are coming from.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Dry fire. Do it!

You will start to see the sights moving and it will tell you everything you need to know.

Is there any obvious tendencies in your groups? Low? High? Shotgun all over? Never fired a gun with your eyes open?

The last one was a joke!;)
+1 and put a cheapo laser on it for dry fire practice, you'll be amazed how much it helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I read your post and the others. All the advice is great. I have an XD 45C Prior to that I shot 1911's in the service and was used to the single action easy trigger. My first personal gun purchase was the Sig P239 in 9mm. Easy to shoot with DA/SA trigger pull available. When I next purchased the XD 45 my groups at short distances (7 and 10 yds) were in the left lower quadrant. It was not the pistol; it was my anticipation of the 45 blast and my jerking the trigger. With practice my groups were very good and fairly centered, by my concentrating on squeezing the trigger with a steady pull instead of an anticipatory pull. My XD fired low at 25 yds using the lollipop sighting that Springrield recommended in the manual. I switched sights to Trijicon (had Springfield do this at a reasonable charge) and sighted POA in the center of the 25 yard target bullsey and had excellent results. In brief, it took better trigger control and re-sighting my aim point to get the desired results. Also, I did not fall into the temptation to keep firing lots of rounds at each session. I would limit my targeting to 50 -75 rounds max with shooting 5 shots in each mag. Helped me quite a bit and reduced the fatigue factor. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I read your post and the others. All the advice is great. I have an XD 45C Prior to that I shot 1911's in the service and was used to the single action easy trigger. My first personal gun purchase was the Sig P239 in 9mm. Easy to shoot with DA/SA trigger pull available. When I next purchased the XD 45 my groups at short distances (7 and 10 yds) were in the left lower quadrant. It was not the pistol; it was my anticipation of the 45 blast and my jerking the trigger. With practice my groups were very good and fairly centered, by my concentrating on squeezing the trigger with a steady pull instead of an anticipatory pull. My XD fired low at 25 yds using the lollipop sighting that Springrield recommended in the manual. I switched sights to Trijicon (had Springfield do this at a reasonable charge) and sighted POA in the center of the 25 yard target bullsey and had excellent results. In brief, it took better trigger control and re-sighting my aim point to get the desired results. Also, I did not fall into the temptation to keep firing lots of rounds at each session. I would limit my targeting to 50 -75 rounds max with shooting 5 shots in each mag. Helped me quite a bit and reduced the fatigue factor. Best of luck.
5 shot groups is a great idea with a 45.... Really lets you focus in on what is happening rather than fighting fatigue. Also, don't trust sight alignment with any off-the-rack gun - spend a few bucks and have the sights aligned by a pro, then decide if something else is amiss.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I fired my Xd yesterday for the 1st time after owneing it for a full year now. I noticed if I jerked the trigger I would shoot way low and to the left. If I held a tight but comfortable grip with a slow even pull of the trigger I could hit what I was aiming at. I am by no means a pistol expert. I am more of Richard Oakley with a rifle. The only other pistol I have test fired was a small 25 cal that some Viet Cong pulled on my father in Vietnam. I couldent hit a BBQ grill that was 10 feet infront of me with that thing. Just pull the trigger with an even force and try useing thre pad of your finger or try the crease where the first joint in the trigger finger. I bet you will find a good combo. These guns are not gonna leave the factory flawed with a bent barrel or way out of wack set of sights. :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts