Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the scoop:

I've been researching, and "feeling up" guns for a few months now. I'm prepping to buy a "do it all" range, home defense, & CCW gun in about another 3 months. A week ago I'd narrowed the field down to: Sig P229 in .40, SA Mil Spec, XD40 Service, & FN HiPower in .40. This week I slimmed to just one; the Sig. Now yer gonna go and tell me the XDs commin' out in my favorite caliber. Shame on you.

I'll sit back and see how they fare reliability-wise, and very possibly reconsider my decision when I finally get my $$$. If I know SA, they've been R&Ding the XDACP for a while, and have field tested them to an extent. So, they should be as solid as the rest of the XD family. If I pass up what I feel may be a rare chance for me to own a Sig, I hope the XDACP lives up to expectations.

FWIW: I think SA may be carving the headstone for the XDGAP already...

Darrell

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Three good things going for the Sig P229:

It is a platform that will launch three calibers
with just a change of a barrel and do so with
great reliability. Plus, you can get parts for
it from the factory or a dealer if ever needed.

As far as the 45GAP is concerned, I have several
other paper weights it can join. Lucky for me
however, all those paper weights still go BANG!

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Ed :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ed,

Thank you for supporting some feelings I've been having. Someone on sigforums posted something about SA not selling parts to "endusers" for liability reasons or some such (not to mention "requesting" that the armorer's manual not be openly made public). That seems a pain for small common problems, or owners who want spare parts around. What also struck me as odd was that the main issue was problems/wear on the XDs extractor. It seems several people had to replace extractors after a few thousand rounds. That's not a huge #, but think of all those who've probably had the same problem, but aren't forum members, or didn't post about it. Something about that bothers me. I mentioned these issues to a friend today. He stated that Glock has a similar policy regarding parts & repairs in place as SA does w/ the XD. He also said that it'd seem the extractors aren't properly hardened. He tore down his Sig P229 & P220 to show me some good stuff: internal machining quality, extra slide hardening at the slide stop notch, the welds inside the P220 slide, barrel lockup, firing pin block, etc. I love learning! I've owned a few handguns, and have field stripped them for cleaning, but never had a guided tour as to what everything inside did to make the weapon function.

Long story short: I'll buy the Sig.

D.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Personally, I'd be buying the GAP as an all around gun before I bought the ACP. The ACP is going to be way too big to even consider for concealed carry. At least, for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like my XD but truthfully, you can't go wrong with a Sig 229 in 40. I have 2 and love them both (one with rail, one without). I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but Sig is discontinuing the 229 without the rail so if you want a new one, don't wait too long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zeph,

Thanks for the heads up. I'd read that Sig was going to rail frames only on many of their guns.

D.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Heh, Heh, Heh! Good one Retired. :lol:

Ed

·
Registered
338 Posts
retired said:
Yes, Overkill, but that's because you are NAKED!!! You can't conceal anything!!
Yeah, but I thought he was working with some holster maker for a ISH (In Shirt on Head) concealed carry holster.

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hope this does not confuse the issue...
But, imho, if you have to choose only one handgun, you have to go with a 1911, and prob the SA Mil-Spec as you were considering.
I love my XD- it is the most fired gun in the safe(s), but, in terms of parts and ammo availability, you've gotta go .45acp and, therefore (for now) 1911.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Plinkomatic said:
Hope this does not confuse the issue...
But, imho, if you have to choose only one handgun, you have to go with a 1911, and prob the SA Mil-Spec as you were considering.
I love my XD- it is the most fired gun in the safe(s), but, in terms of parts and ammo availability, you've gotta go .45acp and, therefore (for now) 1911.
That of course is subjective Plink, as some folk just aren't a fan of the venerable 1911.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Frenchy. I actually like the 1911 quite a bit, my first handgun was a Colt Delta Elite...kinda like getting a 1969 Z28 as a first car. Capable, but a handful. I like the Sig P229 over the 1911 for the CCW aspect. I see a 1911 and a HiPower in my future as well, probably even a Bersa Thunder45 UltraCompact...I just like that gun for some reason.

D.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Pitt beat me to it. I am looking forward to the new products from Sig. A single action 220, the 239 and 220 with the DAK trigger and the comander size 220 called the 240.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts