Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I making a mistake? I have recently put a XD-45 on layaway, I want the .45 caliber but from what I'm readin, I should stay away from .45 GAP.I don't have a problem with the ammo, maybe in the future I might. So not being concerned withthe availability of ammo, is this a good buy?

BTW, you can obviously see this is my first post. I am a THR.org member who got redirected over to here. I am happy I found you guys!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Where is your handgun on layaway at?

The only reason to stay away from the GAP ammo that I am aware of would be availibility and price. If these two factors dont bother you, then I would say go for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Joey101 said:
Am I making a mistake? I have recently put a XD-45 on layaway, I want the .45 caliber but from what I'm readin, I should stay away from .45 GAP.I don't have a problem with the ammo, maybe in the future I might. So not being concerned withthe availability of ammo, is this a good buy?

BTW, you can obviously see this is my first post. I am a THR.org member who got redirected over to here. I am happy I found you guys!
With GLOCK and Speer behind the round, it will last. It may end up like the 10mm, but ammo will be readily available, especially through the Internet. I had the same thoughts, and bought the XD .45LE anyway. I picked up some ammo at Gander Mountain pretty cheap. Winchester Silvertip, USA-FMJ and USA-JHP. I am a .45 ACP guy, but love the XD, and, IMO, the .45 GAP is superior to the .40 S&W.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"where is your handgun on layaway at?"

Cabela's

I was leaning towards the S.A. GI 1911. Which is a .45 ACP, but I had put the gun on hold and six days later after I let it go off hold, they had sold the only 2 they had.

So I began looking and I looked at Glocks looked at Rugers, and found the XD which my hand loves to death.

BTW PimpStick, how you like your .45 LE? How's the recoil? I heard that on these polymer frame guns the recoil is much stronger then on a let's say 1911. Is it true?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I plan on getting a 45 GAP soon. Reload for it and you won't have a problem with availability. i've already started scrounging the range for GAP brass. Once in a while someone will come in while i'm there and shoot through several boxes. I usually ask if they are going to reload it...most of the time they say no and offer it to me. There are a bunch of 45 bullets available thanks to the 45 ACP and you can find powder and small pistol primers easily. My local reloading supply shop that sells thier own manufactured ammo and reloads is already geared up to start producing the GAP. Oh, and your wallet will thank you for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know what you're reading that makes you turn away from the .45 GAP, but the recoil isn't bad at all through my tactical. Totally comparable to the 1911. Unless you're highly sensitive to recoil, you're not going to have a problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
You will like it. I have a service model. When I took it to
the range for a standoff against the .45ACP, I carried along
a Witness in .45ACP, Star Firestar45 and a S&W 457.

Personally, I could not tell the difference when I was shooting
a machine with an .45ACP or the XD .45GAP. One thing about
the XD, it shot from the gitgo and did not miss a lick for a new
machine, I give it a thumbs up with an AOK. I will carry it on
occassion and not feel undergunned by any means.

Ed

·
Registered
95 Posts
Joey101 said:
Am I making a mistake? I have recently put a XD-45 on layaway, I want the .45 caliber but from what I'm readin, I should stay away from .45 GAP
Thank God you've chosen some better company.

Many, (and I mean many) have questioned why the venerable .45acp had to re-invented. Well don't knock it, just enjoy it.

The .45acp was designed in 190?. Alot has happened since then and technology has changed alot. The round has been designed to be identical in performance, just smaller.

The weapon you have chosen is a fine one, and so is the round. Yes, it may cost a little bit more, but you should never have to apologize about it's performace. It IS a .45.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I really want a 45 gap as well but I can tell you that absolutely nobody in my area carries the ammo. Nobody. Not Walmart, any of the gunstores, the ranges, nobody. They may get a box or two occasionally but its at a premium. That alone has discouraged me enough to wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I checked Wal-Mart tonight just for sh*ts and grins. And they only carry "normal .45 ammo". As if GAP isn't normal? :lol: But anyway, there are tons of gun range around here where I live. And tons of gun stores. So getting this GAP ammo wouldn't be a problem.

Rockin AR: Yeah that was my first choice until I held the XD. Nothing except maybe the 1911 has compared. It just feels right, and you know to boot I've got a man-stopper with the .45! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts