Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a XD-45 Tactical from the original owner, that was purchased in july of 2006. I have the original reciepts on this as well and the original warrantee card.

The 2 questions I have are the following.

1.) because this gun does not ever appear to be registered am I able to send in the warrantee card and have the gun covered under my name.

2.) More importantly I have taken the gun out and put a box of rounds through it, I have shot for years and am fairly proficent, at 25 yards I noticed that the gun seemed to hit low and to the left of what I was expecting. Initially I thought that it was me, then I tried using a bench to stable the wepon, it still appeared to be off target. The weapon has not seen much use prior to me purchasing it. The barrel was still clean and riffelings not even worn. Does this gun get better with more rounds or is there something fundamentally wrong?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Scott,

Welcome to XDTalk!

I don't know the answer to your first question about warranty issues.

Regarding the second, I found the XD Tactical to be right on right out of the box. It may be an issue of practice and it may be something to ask the person who sold it to you - maybe that's why he sold it.

One more thing, if you have questions specific to the XD 45, you might post them at: XD-45ACP Discussion Room - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source! it is a forum dedicated to the XD 45s.

You'll find a great deal more expertise and experience there than I have.

Chapie+

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes, the SA warranty would can be used by yourself, or anyone else that ever owns the gun. Lifetime warranty means just that.

As far as the accuracy is concerned, it may be you, or it may be the gun.

Any chance the sights need adjusting? Not with an XD, but I have heard of slight imperfections in brand new barrels that could cause such an issue.

I know you're fairly confident the issue is with the gun, and you very well could be correct. Just in case you ever want to try them, here are some real good targets that helped me with a similar issue.

The pie chart looking targets are about 1/2-3/4 down the page. Notice, one is for left handed shooters, and the other is for right handed. You can print these targets right on your home printer.

Rifle & Pistol Targets

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I don't know if this is applicable to your gun, but when I bought my SC9 5yrs. ago, it had mismatched sights. I was aiming at 6 o'clock as the manual states, but it was shooting 6" low. The range master at my former dept.'s range had the same problem.

Called SA, they had me sent it back and they put a new rear sight on it. Shoots great now.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Low and to the left is the most common complaint to new right handed shooters of the XD series of pistols.

The same complaint is posted here at least twice a week.

Work on your grip and your trigger control.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Low and to the left is the most common complaint to new right handed shooters of the XD series of pistols.

I have two XDs and a P22, and they all shoot low and to the left. What are the chances??? :eek:

I've resisted the urge to aim high and to the right or adjust the sights (on the P22) . . . just keep working on that slow trigger pull, and it's SLOWLY getting better . . . .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will put a couple hundred more rounds through it and see what happens. I apprieciate the feed back.

Worst case I can send the gun back to SA and have it checked out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm new to the forum and shooting the XD. I was shooting low and left with my XD 9. My friend who has had his XD 45 for 3 years shot my and was dead on. In my case I believe that getting used to the style of trigger on the XD is all where it's at. I' ve been practicing nice slow pulls and have been getting much better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks... again for all the insight, my only concern is my ability to hit the same target with a Smith and Wesson 9mm at the same distance with considerably more consistancy and put a nice grouping in the target.

Any Idea's what the main difference between a Smith & wesson and the XD?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks... again for all the insight, my only concern is my ability to hit the same target with a Smith and Wesson 9mm at the same distance with considerably more consistancy and put a nice grouping in the target.

Any Idea's what the main difference between a Smith & wesson and the XD?

Thanks in advance.
The Trigger! It's a different trigger. For those people used to Colt, or S&W, or CZ, it's different. It's extremely sensitive to sideways and downward pressure on the trigger and has a different feel. If you don't press the trigger straight back your hits will be off.

You cannot compare this trigger to other guns.

This board has many threads on this phenomenon. Many people have gone through it. I had to go through it and I've been shooting pistols for 40 years. It can bruise your ego but you'll eventually learn how to do it. Deliberate practice pays off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Heritage guy; now that makes more sense to me being a right handed shooter.

Like I said earlier go put a couple hundred rounds through it and then see how things go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Trigger! It's a different trigger. For those people used to Colt, or S&W, or CZ, it's different. It's extremely sensitive to sideways and downward pressure on the trigger and has a different feel. If you don't press the trigger straight back your hits will be off.

You cannot compare this trigger to other guns.

This board has many threads on this phenomenon. Many people have gone through it. I had to go through it and I've been shooting pistols for 40 years. It can bruise your ego but you'll eventually learn how to do it. Deliberate practice pays off.
+1 I've noticed that my XD's are more sensitive to applying pressure too low and not centered compared to my other pistols. Installing the PRP trigger kit also helped improve trigger control quite a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went and put another 100 rounds through this gun.... MUCH better. I am seeing a better pattern and better grouping. This was different ammo as well as more time.

This is a great weapon, even my wife loves it!

·
Registered
19 Posts

It was a complaint way back when they came out.

+1 on the grip and trigger control....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts