XD 45 Service model. After many rounds slide is still very hard | Springfield XD Forum

XD 45 Service model. After many rounds slide is still very hard

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by Diazjp, May 18, 2020.

1. May 18, 2020 #1
    Diazjp

Diazjp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I struggle with the slide of my XD 45 ACP Service model. It is almost impossible to rack the slide. Even after firing hundreds of rounds, the slide remains very stiff. Also the slide release is also very hard...need two hands to push the release.

2. May 18, 2020 #2
    mb1500

mb1500 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +149 / 1
    If the firearm is functioning correctly (the fact that you’ve shot hundreds of rounds indicates that it is) I would..

Look into techniques for racking the slide. Plenty of people struggle operating semiautomatic firearms of all kinds.

Essentially hold your firing arm half way out, pointed in a safe direction. Index finger high on the slide. Bring your support hand to the top rear of the firearm and grab the slide firmly. Pushing out with your firing hand while holding steady or pulling back slightly with your support hand. Much easier.

When disengaging the slide catch a sweeping motion with the thumb requires less effort than pushing down with no momentum.

3. May 18, 2020 #3
    XDJyo

XDJyo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +150 / 1
    An alternate method for slide release is to use your support hand as it’s going up to grab the grip. It’s not the only way, but an easy way since your left hand is in the neighborhood.

4. May 19, 2020 #4
    M1A4ME

M1A4ME XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +767 / 3
    I've got a 5" XD .45. I don't think I have anything else that has a recoil spring that stout. One hell of a spring.

The slide release? Mine is only hard to release with a magazine in it. Remove the magazine and it seems to be no different than anything else I've got. I've not looked into why it's like that. I just use both thumbs or grab the slide and pull to the rear and release it.

5. May 20, 2020 #5
    Wacko-Kid

Wacko-Kid XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll agree with you it is stout (I have the same model). Use the push-pull method and it gets easier. Go shoot it a bunch and the recoil spring will relax after a bit.