Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) This may be an old question but...

I have a XD 9 SC and a 4" XD .45 Service. Both are new. I have no problem racking the slide on the XD 9 BUT with the XD .45, it is all I can do to rack the slide and not leave my hand in the breach :oops: and that hurts.

Neither Don's Guide Rod nor Wolf's seem to have anything for the XD .45 Service. Anybody know of another after market guide rod and spring that requires less muscle to operate and if so, where is it? In the meantime, I've taken up weightlifting. :roll:

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I know you might be able to lighten it up, but you won't be able to shoot as hot of a round. I'd leave it alone, and just get your hand stronger. I dunno how much lightening it up will do for you anyways, you should be able to rack it if you're going to shoot a .45. :|

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you might be able to lighten it up, but you won't be able to shoot as hot of a round. I'd leave it alone, and just get your hand stronger. I dunno how much lightening it up will do for you anyways, you should be able to rack it if you're going to shoot a .45. :|
One should be able to rack his/her pistols - agreed. I have no problem with my Taurus PT 1911 or my Kimber Custom Target II or my Browning Hi-Power or my XD 9 SC. It's this particular pistol that's causing me to question my manhood...for the time being.

So, how do I lighten it up? :roll: I'm into self-defense and plinkin' - not Rhino hunting.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
The reason for the spring being difficult to replace is the captive guide rod. So, you have to replace the whole thing. Somebody made one out of a pin from the hardware store, and a washer from a skate wheel. I dunno if I'd trust that, but I think you can get replacement units. I wouldn't do it though. Heck, my MOM can rack my XD! :p

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
My question is:

What method do you use to rack the slide?

The easiest way is to use one hand OVER the slide and grab the serrations on the most rearward end of the slide. Grip them tightly while you use your other hand on the pistol grip and push the grip forward while the other hand, on the slide, pulls backward. One hand will kind of cross over the other.

If you are simply gripping the rear edge of the slide with a couple of fingers and trying to slingshot it backward then you may not get it done every time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 45 compact is pretty stuff but I have no problems racking it, I don't work out either. I would say i'm fairly strong but don't lift weights or anything.

Mine has gotten a been easier after putting a couple hundred rounds through it or so.

But, compared to my wifes 1911, its is a good deal harder to rack.

Not a problem for me though, I have found that pushing forward on the grip and then back on the slide helps, and if you do it quickly, instead of trying to push it back slowly, atleast thats how I helped my wife learn how to lock the slide back.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason for the spring being difficult to replace is the captive guide rod. So, you have to replace the whole thing. Somebody made one out of a pin from the hardware store, and a washer from a skate wheel. I dunno if I'd trust that, but I think you can get replacement units. I wouldn't do it though. Heck, my MOM can rack my XD! :p
Got any pictures? :twisted:

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
My question is:

What method do you use to rack the slide?

The easiest way is to use one hand OVER the slide and grab the serrations on the most rearward end of the slide. Grip them tightly while you use your other hand on the pistol grip and push the grip forward while the other hand, on the slide, pulls backward. One hand will kind of cross over the other.

If you are simply gripping the rear edge of the slide with a couple of fingers and trying to slingshot it backward then you may not get it done every time.
I have a little difficulty with the thumb/index finger method, and I had to show my mom the above method. She CAN rack the Kel-Tec using the thumb/index finger method though, which the guy at the gunshop said most women can't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just sit there in front of the TV and keep racking the slide over and over again. Get a good feel for it.

Learn different methods and practice them all. Eventually one will be easier for you to do. Hitting some weights won't hurt either or just push ups might do.

When I first got my XD I had a lot of trouble racking the slide. After a couple weeks of just sitting around and racking the slide over and over again it got easier.

practice practice practice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just sit there in front of the TV and keep racking the slide over and over again. Get a good feel for it.

Learn different methods and practice them all. Eventually one will be easier for you to do. Hitting some weights won't hurt either or just push ups might do.

When I first got my XD I had a lot of trouble racking the slide. After a couple weeks of just sitting around and racking the slide over and over again it got easier.

practice practice practice.
It was all I could do to buy the gun, now I'm supposed to go to a gym before I can use it? :roll:

·
Registered
64 Posts
lol, no.

Just sit there and rack the slide alot.

Going to the gym will just help a little more. Well...going to the gym is good for you anyways slide racking aside.

But really...just go put on a movie and rack your pistol slide the way through it.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I don't think I'd post on a public forum that I don't posess the strength to rack the slide on my new gun. I'm not kidding about my mom being able to do it, I just asked her to try again. My mom isn't a particularly strong woman, I've had girlfriends that were physically stronger than her (that's both a good and BAD thing :oops:). I'm just being real, not trying to pick on you. If you're going to shoot a .45 you should have the strength to rack the original slide spring. If you think the spring is WRONG, check another gun at a gunshop, or ask somebody to check it out for you. Think this one is difficult, try a para warthog! I litterally thought there was something wrong the first time I tried to rack a shell into that little bugger! If you have a physical condition that makes racking the .45 too much, maybe you shouldn't shoot it. The .45 is fairly physically demanding. I think you'd get used to it eventually.

Lightening up the spring is something you do to compenaste for muzzle energy, mass of the gun components, and general tinkering. I don't think I'd change it until you try to get used to it. Maybe the gym wouldn't be a bad thing. I dunno, kinda makes me wonder if you can handle the recoil!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have three (3) .45's. The XD being the latest acquisition. I didn't say I couldn't do it, I said it was difficult. Thank you for your support and say Hi to your Momma for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To a certain degree it's not exactly strength but the method.

No shame in growing into a new piece of equipment.

This is the place to go if you're having a little difficulty adjusting.

On other places like Badlands you'd expect to take a little flak, but even there...it's all in harmless fun.:mrgreen:

happy racking

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To a certain degree it's not exactly strength but the method.

No shame in growing into a new piece of equipment.

This is the place to go if you're having a little difficulty adjusting.

On other places like Badlands you'd expect to take a little flak, but even there...it's all in harmless fun.:mrgreen:

happy racking
Thanks Vetka, I've got it under control with my new found muscles. I sure hope I don't break it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I remember my uncle making fun of me when I was younger when I was having some difficulty with his 9mm. I gave my brother a spring operated BB pistol, and he couldn't rack it back, so I had to raz him a bit. He eventually got it down, so did I with the 9mm. It's amazing what that does to motivate somebody. Happy shooting! :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I remember my uncle making fun of me when I was younger when I was having some difficulty with his 9mm. I gave my brother a spring operated BB pistol, and he couldn't rack it back, so I had to raz him a bit. He eventually got it down, so did I with the 9mm. It's amazing what that does to motivate somebody. Happy shooting! :cool:
Thanks, I'd still like to see some family photos? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
i can't believe we are having this discussion. lol but onthe other hand, i can believe it. i have a 6 foot 5" friends who weighs 145 that can barely get his slide back on his 9mm xd. his arms shake when he does it.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts

And maybe some tennis ball squeezing for hand strength.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts