Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Until the other day I had never fired a .45, so I had no idea what to expect. While it was overall a joy to shoot, I realized--I'm going to need a LOT of practice. I was not used to the recoil of the 45, which I have to say was not too bad. I used 230gr. Winchester FMJ ammo for the range, and while I am not exactly pleased with the results--I'm not totally unhappy either, given that this was the first time I have fired a 45. All of my shots were within the target, with 4 rounds penetrating the target one on top of the other widening both entrance holes, with my last round hitting center of target. I'm not pleased, but at the same time not totally unhappy. The trigger pull was not as bad as I had expected--I had been told by some people over the years that the trigger on the .45 would be difficult to pull--mine was nice, easy, and smooth at I think 5.5lbs

I have to admit--I failed to take earplugs to the range, and I had a preconceived idea that the sound of a .45 firing would not be that loud, but when I pulled the trigger on the range for the first time, my ears rung....is this normally the result or the result of the ammo I used, or can the blast of sound be reduced with a lower grain ammo? Surely the military which uses the 45 does not issue the troops earplugs just to shoot? Or perhaps I am wrong? As I said--this was my first time with a .45, so maybe I had too many preconceived ideas?

Ammo: 230gr. Winchester FMJ commercial ammo bought at local gun store.
distance approx. 8 yds.
Temp. about 53 with little wind.
firearm: XD .45 4' with 13rd magazines.
target: pistol targets which you can buy at any walmart.

overall it was a very enjoyable experience to take the firearm to the range for the first time, and look forward to doing so again and again. I intend on keeping my targets and trying to chart my progress to see how I do and compare ammo to see which works best.

comments, suggestions? Recoil opinions, ammo opinions? opinions on earplugs, and how people cope without them when shooting? As I said--first experience, so maybe I was expecting too much...

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Always take eye and ear protection to the range! With any shooting, unless you're plinking with .22, ear protection is a must. I've known guys who spend several years trap shooting without protection, and who would have thunk they've developed hearing problems.

Essentially, when you shoot, an explosive devise is being triggered at arm's length, so you will have that ringing in your ears every time. If you do this repeatedly, you risk irreversible hearing damage. Some calibers aren't as bad as others, but it's never a good idea. Short answer is, if you like your ears, protect them when you shoot. The same goes for your eyes, and most reputable ranges are going to require this gear whenever you go shooting. My recommendation is have a dedicated range bag/case and always keep a pair in it. I keep two pairs, just in case I'm shooting with someone and they've made the same mistake as you did. If you ever find yourself without, just run to your closest drugstore and get the foam plugs. They aren't the best, but they will do the trick in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Sorry, didn't notice your other questions at the end. With many polymer framed pistols, a very firm grip will often improve your groups. Utilizing the push/pull method will help, and it doesn't take much practice doing it before muscle-memory kicks in.

As for ammo choice, the XD pistols typically aren't picky when it comes to ammunition. It is a good idea to run around 200 rounds through of your self-defense ammo of choice to ensure 100% reliable feeding and accuracy.

For ear protection, it's a matter of personal preference and how much you are willing to spend. If you don't have much $ to spare, reusable in-the-ear rubber plugs work fine, and happen to be my personal preference. Over-the-ear muffs are also inexpensive. If you want to go all-out into the $100+ range, electronic muffs are available that activate when it detects any noises above a certain decibel level. I've used them before as loaners at a local range, and they are very nice, but not worth the $100+ to me.

As for eye protection, if you wear glasses, most ranges consider that to be adequate. I typically shoot with my sunglasses, as I am out in the open country and my range is my back yard. For indoors shooting, clear and amber lenses are available, but that also comes down to personal preference. Some find it easier to see targets with amber lenses, and others don't like them at all. With most of this stuff it's going to be trial and error.

If you are new to shooting, regular cleaning is also a must. For a quick and simple, yet effective cleaning, get yourself a Bore Snake. I own one for every caliber I shoot. They run about $15-$17, but make cleaning the barrel very easy, and allows a quick clean in most applications without disassembly of the firearm. With my XD I use Break Free CLP on the barrel, Gun Scrubber to clean the slide and frame/trigger group, then follow up with some Break Free on the slide and frame/trigger group. Lastly, I recommend a good gun lube for the slide and frame rails. Some think this is unnecessary, but aside from the barrel, the greatest source of friction on any auto loader will be the rails.

Welcome to the exciting world of gun ownershp!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good shooting for the first time out. Always were EAR and EYE protection. I like to use the ear plugs and muffs together. deadening the sound will help your shooting because you don't flinch because of the sound and keep your eyes on the sites. remember to squeeze the trigger and not jerk it back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You will find that with practice, the groups will tighten dramatically. The trigger does take some time to get used to.

I would suggest dry fire practice. Make sure that ammo is not even in the room at the time. No mag is necessary for this firearm for dry fire practice. My favorite target is the TV. You can watch the sights stay level during the shot. After a while, you will end up watching the same thing at the range and your groups will get tiny quick!

Your pistol will put 13 quality rounds under a quarter at 10 yds. I am not good enough to shoot tighter than that. Most of the time I am not that good anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts