Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I’m guessing this is the case with all of them. Certainly is with mine. It’s a little easier after 1000 plus rounds but still tighter than all my other pistols. The mags all load easy enough but you gotta bump em pretty good to lock them into the gun and the release is hard to push.
I have had my Mod.2 in 45ACP and I just now started reading comments on the thing. So I guess the thing just sucks a big one. There is no real good thing to say about it if you cannot operate it with ease. I disassembled the mag catch/release and polished the parts with wet/dry sandpaper from 320 grit to 1000. I also rounded off the release button and knocked off some of the texture on each end enough to my liking. The improvements worked some, but I am still not satisfied. It is hard to rack. I disassembled the captured main spring to cut a couple of coils to reduce spring pressure. Now I cannot rack all the way back to disassemble. If I ever get disassembled I will purchase an after market spring and offload it. Let some Springfield fanatic deal with it. I will just get a 1911 for a duty weapon. I never have problems with a 1911.

· Registered
122 Posts
You're working on the wrong part. It's not a mag release problem, but a mag follower problem. The legs on the follower are short enough for you to put however many rounds the mag is designed to hold in it, but so long that the rounds don't have any room to compress in the mag. Because of this the tension between the rounds and the bottom of the slide add so much tension against the mag release that it's hard to press the release button. Disassemble the mag, take out the follower, and work the legs on a piece of coarse sandpaper until you remove between 1/16" and 1/8" equally off the front and rear, then reassemble the mag. The shorter legs allow the last round to load in the mag a bit easier, it will be a little easier to rack the slide on a full mag, and you'll be able to press the mag release without using He-man strength. The Glock 21 and 30 suffer the same issue and it's a simple fix.

· Registered
1,874 Posts
Hello fellow xd mod 2 owners!

Quick couple of disclaimers:
1. I have owned a Service xd 9mm for years and never had issues at all. Still works like a charm.
2. I tried to search on the topic but I did not find anything.

Here it is. . .
I got a bi-tone xd 45 Mod 2 for Christmas last year. I was very excited to find one because I had been looking for the specific model for a while. Some time after the purchase I went to the range to break it in a little and to just enjoy a nice shooting session. From the get-go I realized that there is something not quite right with the magazine lock/release when it is completely full (13 rds). It requires a major slam to lock in, and it requires shift in my grip to apply enough pressure to the magazine release button to allow it to drop, and even then I need to help with the off hand to push the mag in/up to help the release. Then there is the issue of chambering the first round with the mag is full. It requires a lot of strength and I feel like I am damaging the casing on the top round when racking the slide. Once the top round is gone things bet much better, but are still not as smooth.

Initially I thought that some oil on the mag release would help, which it did a little (very little). Then I thought a couple of hundred rounds would do the trick. . . Still no luck. I tried other mags, and it still works the same. I am now wondering if I need to contact warranty and have t serviced.

My xd 9 has ran butter-smooth since day 1, and never had a single issue at all, even when I hadn't cleaned it for a long time.

What do you guys think? Should I go for a warranty service?
Rack the slide to the rear, insert the magazine (goes in easy, so be ready for it), then release the slide to chamber that top round.

Same with unloading it. Just pull the slide to the rear to eject the chambered round and then push the magazine release and the mag will fall out easily. Don't let it fall on your toes. It's heavy.

Yeah, it is tough to seat a full magazine in an XD .45. And my M&P 2.0 .45. And my CZ P01 with a full magazine. And my CZ P07 with a full magazine. It's not a bad thing, it's a thing that is fairly common with pistols when trying to insert/seat a fully loaded magazine in a pistol with the slide all the way forwards.

I do remember my CZ75B .40 was darn near impossible to push the magazine release to drop a fully loaded mag when the slide was forward.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts